Premed 101 Forums

Happy_go

ha - one month after my class graduated one of our classmates had a photo of a homeless gentleman with one of our bags. 

In time often the emotional context of the bags wears off for most, ha, although I am still using my mine until it fall apart (8.5 years and still going!).

21 hours ago, rmorelan said:

ha - one month after my class graduated one of our classmates had a photo of a homeless gentleman with one of our bags. 

In time often the emotional context of the bags wears off for most, ha, although I am still using my mine until it fall apart (8.5 years and still going!).

Yeah I actually saw a homeless guy in Ottawa with one of the backpacks. 

Hey well, if you don't like the color, someone else should use it who needs it. It's just a backpack. 

I have never used my pumpkin VLC pylon backpack and it just sits in my closet. Not many people in med school I personally knew even used it much...

2 hours ago, The Ace of Spades said:

They're actually pretty nice backpacks. I don't use mine so gave it to my wife when her backpack died (she's a non MD) and she got made fun of at work... so that's the last time it left our closet lol

Awww, can't you cover up the logos or something?

Mine died partway through residency, but I think it's perfectly reasonable to give the backpack to someone else if one isn't going to use it. 

2 hours ago, Lactic Folly said:

Awww, can't you cover up the logos or something?

Mine died partway through residency, but I think it's perfectly reasonable to give the backpack to someone else if one isn't going to use it. 

They do seem to have a lifespan of about 8 years ha :) I had to put my sewing skills to work on mine last year, and one of the zippers is completely dead (fortunately the back section has two zipper for it). For purely symbolic reasons I what it to last until the end of PGY5. 

My med school class year received a different, taller style than the backpacks in subsequent years - it was a defective year and many of our shoulder straps ripped within a few months.

Since I had only started to use the backpack towards the end of 1st year, when I approached MD Mgmt, instead of a repair, I was luckily offered the next incoming year's backpack as a replacement.

This would generate curious looks and comments whenever I was out and about in the school building. I used to joke that I had beaten up one of the 1st year students for their backpack ;) (of course, no one who knew me in real life would find this at all plausible!) :lol:

On 11/12/2017 at 7:46 PM, Lactic Folly said:

My med school class year received a different, taller style than the backpacks in subsequent years - it was a defective year and many of our shoulder straps ripped within a few months.

Since I had only started to use the backpack towards the end of 1st year, when I approached MD Mgmt, instead of a repair, I was luckily offered the next incoming year's backpack as a replacement.

This would generate curious looks and comments whenever I was out and about in the school building. I used to joke that I had beaten up one of the 1st year students for their backpack ;) (of course, no one who knew me in real life would find this at all plausible!) :lol:

On 11/12/2017 at 5:16 PM, Hanmari said:

I gave mine to my dad because he hikes and I figured the abhorrent fluorescence would help with detection if he ever gets stranded and needs rescue.

I like the general practicality in both approaches ha :)

It's a backpack. No harm will come of that person wearing it, besides the possibility of a quirked eyebrow when someone approaches them thinking they're a classmate. 

I've actually gotten away from wearing my backpack in the last months since I found that it's large size lead to me filling it with junk and it would get very heavy. I now wear my sturdy-but-smaller back from my undergrad school. I'll probably pull it out for the CaRMS tour in January just so I can find equally stressed people to talk with in the airport. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/9/2017 at 5:17 PM, rmorelan said:

I saw a homeless person in downtown London walking around with an orange OMA bag just a few weeks ago. Were the bags orange in your year? haha

22 minutes ago, Blasé said:

I saw a homeless person in downtown London walking around with an orange OMA bag just a few weeks ago. Were the bags orange in your year? haha

Nope - bright red (haven't seen that colour either in a long time, coming up on 10 years this fall). Probably same response by someone in our year by someone in a later year (from the "pylon" class!). Done medical school, done with the bag. Once you work your ass off in clerkship some people are a little less excited about the bags :)

As a note - the bags last a very long time - mine is again going on up to 10 years. Yet relatively few residents still use it. overall they must be going somewhere

On 1/3/2018 at 8:27 PM, Blasé said:

That's my year - I hope that was the result of a goodwill gesture of a worthy colleague. It might've just been the worthy colleague him/herself though. On second thought are you sure it wasn't just one of us going home postcall?

Archived