Premed 101 Forums

Letter of Recommendation from a PHD student?

So I obviously need 3 letters of recommendation to apply to medschool. So far I have 2, one from a doctor I volunteered with and another from a University professor (PHD).

However for my 3rd letter I am debating if I should ask on of my computer science professor who is a Student teacher/professor who is still working on his PHD.

So my question is, is he a suitable person to ask for a letter of recommendation from, or should I ask another Professor with a PHD for a letter? Im asking this as people are telling me you need 1 letter from a non-academic area, and 2 letters from University professors.

Also somewhat related, just how important are letters of recommendations when it comes to the whole application process.

Thanks 

It is better that you have references from people that know you well and can answer specifically about you along the Canmed definitions.  It does not matter whether they have a PhD or not.  For Ontario -  it is an online submission they will make on your behalf. It is not a letter of recommendation that you will request and submit yourself.

Read the OMSAS summary here:

https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/omsas-referees/

Good references can only help you.  A bad one could black-flag you.   How they are really evaluated is somewhere in between for each school.    

I would just make sure that all your references are appropriate (supervisor vs a colleague/friend), and try to balance them so they can speak to all of the qualities they are looking for. Academic references are great, but if all 3 letters are talking about how you were a great student or have great research/academics you will lose out a lot on personal/community/leadership traits which is why they usually recommend a non-academic reference. 

Archived