Premed 101 Forums

22 minutes ago, simm said:

Accepted into McMaster PT, waitlisted for Queens PT (#11) and waitlisted for Western PT (middle third) ! Congrats to everyone who got accepted or waitlisted. I also had a back up plan if I didn’t get accepted so if anyone would like some advice on that matter, feel free to message me :) 

Also, does anyone know how fast the Queens waitlist is suppose to move up? 

Congrats!! What’s your first choice? Queens probably won’t say anything regarding the waitlist until about June 4th or 11th. 

Applied: OT @ McMaster
Accepted: McMaster
Waitlisted: 
Rejected: 
GPA (ORPAS): Sub - 3.94, Cum - 3.8 
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: No essays or references for Mac. I was terrified in the days leading up to the the MMI, but in the end, I left feeling pretty confident. First time applying.

Can't wait to meet everyone at Mac :). Let me know when a FB group gets created for Mac OT 2020. Good luck to everyone!

1 hour ago, PThopeful23 said:

Applied (PT): UBC, UoA, Western, McMaster, UoT (all PT)
Accepted: UBC
Waitlisted: UoA (OOP)
GPA:  sGPA 3.84. UBC GPA pre/req + U/L 90%
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Did four years of volunteering as a PT assistant at a hospital in TCU/ECU care during my undergrad and worked as a PT assistant in a private clinic for 3 years. Also volunteered with community sport organizations and participated in research and was involved in extracurricular club/groups on campus during my undergrad. I feel I had strong references from two professors that I knew really well. I felt that my essays were also done pretty well.

Do you know where you are sitting on the OOP waitlisted?

Applied (PT): Toronto,McMaster,Western,Queens,Dalhousie (OT) Toronto,Western,
Accepted: PT (Toronto, Queens, Dalhousie ) OT Western
Waitlisted: Toronto (OT)

Rejected: Western (PT)
GPA:  sGPA 3.90
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: 

I’m choosing Dalhousie because I think it’s the best program for me. Toronto is probably the best overall University but not the best overall program for PT in my opinion. I’ve spoken with many students and professors from the Universities I applied to and this is my final choice. Good luck to everyone in their journey!

11 minutes ago, Happyness said:

Applied (PT): Toronto,McMaster,Western,Queens,Dalhousie (OT) Toronto,Western,
Accepted: PT (Toronto, Queens, Dalhousie ) OT Western
Waitlisted: Toronto (OT)

Rejected: Western (PT)
GPA:  sGPA 3.90
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: 

I’m choosing Dalhousie because I think it’s the best program for me. Toronto is probably the best overall University but not the best overall program for PT in my opinion. I’ve spoken with many students and professors from the Universities I applied to and this is my final choice. Good luck to everyone in their journey!

What did you hear about uoft? That you have that opinion 

Applied: Queens PT

Accepted: Queens PT

GPA: 3.75

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I have been working as a clinician at the hospital for the past 6 months with healthy lifestyle interventions for overweight pediatric patients and their families. I have 70 hours of experience with pediatric physiotherapy; 350 hour internship at a private clinic; and 150 hours at a private clinic that I volunteered at for a school year. I volunteered with a program that offers one-on-one swim lessons for kids with any diagnosis; went to central America for a 2 week volunteer trip; spent 2 summers at a camp for kids with cancer. My references were from the prof that supervised my thesis (I have no idea if schools care about research, I didn't put it in my application but she did) and a pediatric PT that I have a great relationship with. 

I graduated last year after taking 5 years to do my undergrad. I applied to Queens last year and was declined I believe due to how impersonal my application was. I took the year to improve myself, get a job as a clinician, and write a killer application. Queens really cares about having well-rounded students, so as long as you make the grade cut-off, your GPA doesn't really matter. If you were declined, try again! Rehab school is like med school now, you won't necessarily get in on the first try but you shouldn't give up if it's your passion!

7 hours ago, d-OT said:

Will be rejecting my offer to UofT OT soon. What is your # on the waitlist? 

Hey, no way! I don't know what # I am as they don't share that information (and, as per the email, emphasize that you don't call to ask lol). 

Thanks for sharing that, though :) Helpful to know

4 hours ago, Rehab4Life said:

Congrats!! What’s your first choice? Queens probably won’t say anything regarding the waitlist until about June 4th or 11th. 

Thank you :) I was leaning a little bit more toward Queens! I plan on calling and getting a few more details about the waitlist as well as provisional acceptances to another university and how they impact the whole process. 

I've posted a few times in this already, but figure i'd use this format for future applicants! 

Applied + (PT or OT?): UBC, UofA, McMaster, UofT, Western and Queens. 
Accepted: UBC, McMaster, Western
Waitlisted: Queens 
Rejected: U of T and U of A (declined interview invite) 
GPA: cGPA 3.75 sGPA 3.86 UBC 87%
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: 

Essays were pretty good I thought, mind you I went in to them thinking no one probably reads them, so I focused most of my attention elsewhere. My UBC interview went well! I remember 7 of the 9 stations going quite well, and 2 of the stations being quite rough, but I also think that I was able to talk my way through them! McMaster's interview was rough! I definitely did not like the computer based interview and I am so glad I don't have to do that again. References were good, both professors I had taken multiple courses with, and had helped with research as well as TA'd for one of their courses. 

This was my second year applying and I am thrilled with how this application cycle went for me, congratulations to everyone who did end up getting in! I have accepted UBC, and will be going there in the fall, mainly because I am from BC. If you didn't get the good news today or this application cycle - I know what you're feeling, it sucks, a lot. It sucks knowing that you want this career so bad but a flawed application system is what stands between you and said career. You'll get there though. Take the year and improve every aspect of your application, travel a bit, and it will all work out! 

8 hours ago, DukePT said:

Applied: Queen's, U Of T, Dal

Accepted: U of T 

Waitlisted: Queen's #7

cGPA: 3.63

sGPA: 3.84

I think I have this right.. but If I provisionally accept U of T then I will remain on the waitlist for queen's until provisional acceptances become firm on June 8th? We won't hear anything from the Queen's waitlist until June 2nd but that would still give me a chance between the 2nd and the 8th to hear from Queen's and potentially weigh the two options before the deadline on June 8th correct?

Agree/Disagree? 

Hey! I’m in the same position  with McMaster and Queens. I’m probably going to call and actually ask about this and also get some feedback about it from someone who’s currently in the PT program at Queens. If I get any info , I’ll let you know. 

Does the provisional acceptance only allow you to be considered for programs of the same discipline? I've been accepted into OT and on ORPAS when I select "Provisionally Accepted" the only option under the "I would still like to be considered for the following programs" is another OT program. I was also waitlisted for PT programs but they are not options. Is this normal? If this is the case I will just firmly accept my OT offer as it was one of my top choices, I was mostly just curious to see if I would be eventually be offered an acceptance.

22 hours ago, tm55 said:

Hello everyone, 

I'm sure a lot of you have received news by now about admissions. This was my first time applying and I was unfortunately rejected. I'm feeling a bit down but I wanted to reapply next year. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience applying again and getting accepted? Thank you! 

Without knowing anything about where you applied, what your grades are, and how much experience/volunteer work you have... lots of people on here have applied in previous years and been declined, myself included. The programs are just so competitive, many people are not accepted straight out of undergrad. I would take some classes in the fall to upgrade your GPA, and try getting more experience to develop your understanding of the profession. Even just applying again without changing anything, you are guaranteed to have better application the second time around.

23 hours ago, PTstudent2018 said:

Confused on how I didn't even get waitlisted for Queens.......I am OOP but had a CGPA of 3.85 and a SGPA of 3.90. I met the cut-off requirements, had terrific grades for my pre-reqs, and great volunteer experience. Very sad human right now. Should I contact them?

This was me last year (except my GPA wasn't that high). For me, I knew it was my application itself, I didn't make it personal enough. I did a bit more volunteering and brought up my GPA a bit more (just because the cut-off is slowly creeping up), and I wrote a killer application. I did not contact the school because I felt like I knew why I didn't get in, but if you want to go ahead—I've seen many people on this forum say that they did and they got great feedback from the school. Feel free to message me if you have more questions or want more specific advice!! And remember it's okay to get rejected the first time :)

Anyone know how quickly or slowly U of A waitlists moved last year? Waitlisted there but received an offer for Queens and need to determine at what point I start looking for a place to live at Queens versus waiting for a waitlist seat from U of A (closer to home). Additionally does anyone have any thoughts as to the differences in programs at these schools and if I should be leaning one way or the other? Thank you

3 hours ago, NorthernOntarioGal said:

Without knowing anything about where you applied, what your grades are, and how much experience/volunteer work you have... lots of people on here have applied in previous years and been declined, myself included. The programs are just so competitive, many people are not accepted straight out of undergrad. I would take some classes in the fall to upgrade your GPA, and try getting more experience to develop your understanding of the profession. Even just applying again without changing anything, you are guaranteed to have better application the second time around.

Thank you for your advice, I knew my GPA was on the lower end so I think that's what I didnt get in but yea I am going to try to upgrade my marks and try again in the fall! :)

On 5/18/2018 at 10:02 AM, PThopeful18 said:

Rejected from both Western and Queen's. Was looking into possibly working as a personal trainer to beef up my application for next year, but im unsure whether it's something they'll look at as beneficial to physio admissions

I was waitlisted (#37) last year and now accepted to Queen's this year! To put things in perspective, 29 people we're accepted from the waitlist last year. Queen's likes diversity on their applications and experience working with more vulnerable/unique populations of patients. Over the last year, I increased my sub GPA from a 3.71 to a 3.78, became a big sister and also helped create and run a physical activity/physical activity literacy/education program for girls within the big brother/sister organization within elementary schools and continued to shadow a physiotherapist that I have known since high school who runs a clinic with mostly geriatric patients. Many people who apply to Queen's get in the second time around so definitely re-apply if that's what you're passionate about. But Personally, I would find a more unique way to stand out on your application other than a personal trainer. I feel like that is a pretty common volunteer experience on applications. 

15 minutes ago, KTPT said:

I was waitlisted (#37) last year and now accepted to Queen's this year! To put things in perspective, 29 people we're accepted from the waitlist last year. Queen's likes diversity on their applications and experience working with more vulnerable/unique populations of patients. Over the last year, I increased my sub GPA from a 3.71 to a 3.78, became a big sister and also helped create and run a physical activity/physical activity literacy/education program for girls within the big brother/sister organization within elementary schools and continued to shadow a physiotherapist that I have known since high school who runs a clinic with mostly geriatric patients. Many people who apply to Queen's get in the second time around so definitely re-apply if that's what you're passionate about. But Personally, I would find a more unique way to stand out on your application other than a personal trainer. I feel like that is a pretty common volunteer experience on applications. 

Hey, I was #46 in the waitlist last year and #20 this year. I did more volunteering (added 2 hospitals) and upgrading this year, so I’m angry I didn’t get a spot. Do you mind if I PM you?

1 hour ago, OTStudentfromBC said:

Anyone know how quickly or slowly U of A waitlists moved last year? Waitlisted there but received an offer for Queens and need to determine at what point I start looking for a place to live at Queens versus waiting for a waitlist seat from U of A (closer to home). Additionally does anyone have any thoughts as to the differences in programs at these schools and if I should be leaning one way or the other? Thank you

I am in the exact same spot but with UofT! I’ve put myself in a mental state of moving to Ontario though so as not to feel too dependant on the wait list moving! 

32 minutes ago, Rehab4Life said:

Hey, I was #46 in the waitlist last year and #20 this year. I did more volunteering (added 2 hospitals) and upgrading this year, so I’m angry I didn’t get a spot. Do you mind if I PM you?

Go for it!

14 hours ago, Redrum18 said:

Does the provisional acceptance only allow you to be considered for programs of the same discipline? I've been accepted into OT and on ORPAS when I select "Provisionally Accepted" the only option under the "I would still like to be considered for the following programs" is another OT program. I was also waitlisted for PT programs but they are not options. Is this normal? If this is the case I will just firmly accept my OT offer as it was one of my top choices, I was mostly just curious to see if I would be eventually be offered an acceptance.

Also curious about this.

9 hours ago, Rehab4Life said:

Current 1st year Queen’s PT student that was waitlisted last year. You can pm me if you’d like to talk about anything and I’ll provide some help anyway I can!

On 11/19/2017 at 4:22 PM, mccannjx01 said:

Applied + (PT or OT?): McMaster UofT PT (both)
Accepted: UofT
Waitlisted:
Rejected: McMaster
GPA: (cum and sub if you applied to any University using them both) cumGPA 3.95 subGPA 3.985
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: 

I had lots of experience in different settings, but nothing directly related to PT. One of my reference letters was from my research supervisor and the other one was from the Instructional assistant for my program. I felt more comfortable with UofTs CAP test than the Kira interview and feel that really showed in my responses. I know I don’t have a choice between programs :P but I would love to hear more about UofT PT!!! 

Applied: Queen's, McGill, Dalhousie (All PT)

Rejected: McGill, Dalhousie

Accepted: Queen's

SGPA: 3.72

Experiences: 2500 hrs working as kin in physio clinic, ~100 hours working as exercise instructor for seniors, ~100 hours volunteering at physio clinic + ~100 hours volunteering at spinal cord rehab centre, competitive triathlete, worked at summer camp for 5 years, leadership/mentor roles in undergrad.

This was my THIRD year trying to get in to PT school! I know it can be devastating not getting in, but keep working towards it if you really want it. In those 2 years, I took a few online courses through Athabasca to hit the GPA cut-offs for Queen's, and also worked/volunteered to boost the resume. Keep working toward it if it's what you want!