Premed 101 Forums

I'm sorry, but if we want to talk about "objectivity" let's be real here. Simply comparing GPA's is in no way "objective." People are coming from a variety of schools, with various degrees, which also vary in terms of their difficulty. Are you saying that comparing the grades of someone with an engineering degree is equivalent to that of the grades someone achieved with a program who's class average was 80%? I don't think so, and if you truly believe this, then you're likely not cut out to be an OT. As an OT student, I can see that it's incredibly important to be able to understand that a cookie cutter style of interpretation or treatment is a sure way to miss what your unique and individual clients really need. Ask people who've worked with OTs before, and you'll see that those who have had poor experiences accredit that to the therapist's inability to see past their traditional approach, and tailor the intervention to the client's needs. A big part of OT is being able to be client-centred. Therefore, it only makes sense that the application process be the same. By looking at the ENTIRE application, schools can truly compare apples to apples. Everyone writes 2 essays on the SAME questions, submits their resume and two references with the SAME criteria. This is truly being objective if you ask me. Not to mention, in the real world it's the schools that purely look at GPA that actually have the worst reputation. There are a lot of extremely intelligent people who are not suited for the job of an OT. It doesn't take a genius to be an OT, but it does take advanced communication skills, creativity, empathy and dedication. OTs do not diagnose people, we need to have LIFE skills if anything. Let's not compare their ability to memorize and perform well on written tests to what we should require our doctors to do. 

On 5/27/2018 at 12:51 PM, jna1929 said:

What stops people who have no real interest in OT/PT from accumulating volunteer hours for the purpose of admission? Much of the volunteering is not even directly related to OT/PT anyways. Let's be real here, volunteering in OT/PT settings a certain number of hours more than another candidate does not make you any more able to succeed in graduate schools: schools ONLY use this as a raw numbers game (x had more than y, therefore x is admitted), no different than GPA. I mean, the person I initially replied to, that person said that AFTER they graduated, they took a year just to do volunteer work to boost their application. How is this in any way indicative of success in graduate school? Anybody can take a year off and accumulate more hours: why on earth would the universities force students to do this (by over-focusing on the volunteering portion for admission purposes)? This has absolutely no correlation with success in the graduate program. So of the two, GPA is a much more likely and OBJECTIVE indicator of success in graduate school than accumulating a bunch of volunteer hours. Who am I to say it? A person. People have opinions. I am saying mine. I can also say "who are you to doubt what I am saying" lol. Let's not downgrade the discussion into petty insults please.

Clinical placements are there for a reason: to make you ready for the work force. The curriculum was designed with this in mind, and the clinical placements do more than enough to prepare students for the work place. That is why volunteering prior to even starting the program is, as I said above, strictly for x>y raw numbers admission competition purposes. In light of this, I think GPA is more of an accurate indicator of success in an academic, rigorous, master's program, and it is also much more difficult to get a high GPA (this also shows more ability) as opposed to spending a bunch of your free time volunteering which is not evaluated or graded or held to any standard, just to accumulate hours to make your application more competitive for admission purposes. 

Let us not kid ourselves: the ONLY reason schools are having more "holistic" admission standards is because they are riding the wave of "equality and inclusion and anti-discrimination and 'progressiveness'" which has been seen in our society since the 21st century and is increasing its momentum annually. It has nothing to do with admitting the more qualified/able candidates. Any organization, whether it be a university, corporation, or government entity, will face massive social backlash if they don't ride this wave. Unfortunately, universities are putting their own long-standing academic reputations at risk by riding this wave. Before, when you saw that someone got admitted to a certain competitive program, you would be assured of the university's admission standards and you would know that individual is intelligent and able, but now, an increasing portion of under-qualified candidates are being granted entry via "holistic" methods so when you hear someone has a certain degree, that is by no means any guarantee that they are as intelligent or able as their credentials suggest.

GPA is a much more objective and merit-based indicator of performance and ability compared to stuff like volunteering (in which there are no standards), impressive reference letters (professors are human and in most cases the best reference letters go out to students they like most or who spent the most time slaving away for them, not the most intelligent or able students), or work experience (getting jobs is largely based on fortunate and connections, not abilities or intelligence). I understand that making admissions somewhat holistic can give a better overall picture of a candidate, but it has simply gone too far. When a high GPA candidate gets rejected and someone with a much more easy to obtain GPA gets accepted because of volunteer/work/ref letters, then one can safely say that the university's reputation has been tarnished. It is ironic that universities, which are supposed to have the highest standards of science and scientific validity in society, have fallen prey to the unscientific, nominal social norms of society, by  choosing to have scientifically invalid admission standards. Validity= something that has high validity will measure what it is intended to measure. Apparently, taking a year off after graduating and doing a bunch of volunteer hours=higher chance success in a rigorous, academic program, more so than GPA. To me, that model has poor validity. But apparently nowadays universities are basing their admission model on this.

I'm sorry, but if we want to talk about "objectivity" let's be real here. Simply comparing GPA's is in no way "objective." People are coming from a variety of schools, with various degrees, which also vary in terms of their difficulty. Are you saying that comparing the grades of someone with an engineering degree is equivalent to that of the grades someone achieved with a program who's class average was 80%? I don't think so, and if you truly believe this, then you're likely not cut out to be an OT. As an OT student, I can see that it's incredibly important to be able to understand that a cookie cutter style of interpretation or treatment is a sure way to miss what your unique and individual clients really need. Ask people who've worked with OTs before, and you'll see that those who have had poor experiences accredit that to the therapist's inability to see past their traditional approach, and tailor the intervention to the client's needs. A big part of OT is being able to be client-centred. Therefore, it only makes sense that the application process be the same. By looking at the ENTIRE application, schools can truly compare apples to apples. Everyone writes 2 essays on the SAME questions, submits their resume and two references with the SAME criteria. This is truly being objective if you ask me. Not to mention, in the real world it's the schools that purely look at GPA that actually have the worst reputation. There are a lot of extremely intelligent people who are not suited for the job of an OT. It doesn't take a genius to be an OT, but it does take advanced communication skills, creativity, empathy and dedication. OTs do not diagnose people, we need to have LIFE skills if anything. Let's not compare their ability to memorize and perform well on written tests to what we should require our doctors to do. 

1 hour ago, member199414 said:

I got accepted off the Western waitlist yesterday and Dal waitlist today both for PT! I'm accepting Dal, so Western will move one! Good luck to everyone and don't lose hope!

did you get a phone call or email for Dal?

On 6/4/2018 at 11:03 PM, Happyness said:

I was just thinking this!

On 6/4/2018 at 10:08 PM, mlyPT said:

Has anybody made a facebook group for Dal PT yet??

I believe that the group gets made by the Physio Society within the next week or so, I was a research student here for the last year so I was technically part of the class of 2019 and I was added to the Dal PT facebook group on June 6th last year so I am expecting an invite soon. Unless you guys went ahead an started one?

57 minutes ago, eafb30 said:

I believe that the group gets made by the Physio Society within the next week or so, I was a research student here for the last year so I was technically part of the class of 2019 and I was added to the Dal PT facebook group on June 6th last year so I am expecting an invite soon. Unless you guys went ahead an started one?

Ok cool. I guess we will just wait till the official one is up. Thank you. 

Hey Guys! 

Just got my offer to nominate email. Posting this for anyone who may find it helpful. I hope to see you all in September! 

Applied + (PT or OT?): McGill OT
Accepted: McGill OT
Waitlisted:
GPA:

Undergraduate: 3.92

Graduate Program #1: Distinction

Graduate Program #2: 4.0  

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Research Experience: Written theses for my programs and published. Also, my  current research is looking at the potential benefits of exercise in treating mental illness.

18 hours ago, Vendar said:

Yes i know someone who has for mcgill ot

Hello! I am wondering if anyone has gotten a rejection from McGill yet then? I keep checking and I haven't heard from McGill at all. Does anyone know what is going on? I assumed that all acceptances/rejection emails would be sent out at the same time. I hope I wasn't just forgotten...

1 minute ago, HiPlausibleOTer said:

Hello! I am wondering if anyone has gotten a rejection from McGill yet then? I keep checking and I haven't heard from McGill at all. Does anyone know what is going on? I assumed that all acceptances/rejection emails would be sent out at the same time. I hope I wasn't just forgotten...

I haven’t heard anything at all yet either! Trying to be patient! 

19 hours ago, OT_2018 said:

Hey Guys! 

Just got my offer to nominate email. Posting this for anyone who may find it helpful. I hope to see you all in September! 

Applied + (PT or OT?): McGill OT
Accepted: McGill OT
Waitlisted:
GPA:

Undergraduate: 3.92

Graduate Program #1: Distinction

Graduate Program #2: 4.0  

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Research Experience: Written theses for my programs and published. Also, my  current research is looking at the potential benefits of exercise in treating mental illness.

Hi, Congratulations! I was wondering how long you have to accept the offer from McGill OT ( just so I know when to expect the dreaded rejection lol)

1 hour ago, OTApplicantMcGill said:

Hi, Congratulations! I was wondering how long you have to accept the offer from McGill OT ( just so I know when to expect the dreaded rejection lol)

Hey! 

They gave a week to confirm. 

Stay positive and don't get discouraged! This was my third attempt to a professional program. Feel free to message me if you have any other questions. 

Hey guys! I'm trying to figure out housing at Dal for OT. I'm looking at places around the School of OT on Forrest Rd as this seems to be the best bet. I'd love if anyone who knows Dal housing well or is in/was in Dal OT could send me a message and let me know what streets/areas are best to live on! 

Thanks in advance!

22 hours ago, OTApplicantMcGill said:

20 hours ago, OT_2018 said:

Hey! 

They gave a week to confirm. 

Stay positive and don't get discouraged! This was my third attempt to a professional program. Feel free to message me if you have any other questions. 

Hello, I am wondering if you know how what the weight distribution is for McGill OT between GPA, MMI, personal statement, etc.?

Applied: McMaster, UofT, Queens, Western (all OT)
Accepted: UofT (off the waitlist)
Waitlisted: UofT, Queens, Western 
Rejected: McMaster (didn’t make it off the interview waitlist)
GPA: cGPA: 3.33, sGPA: 3.73
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I believe that my essays and references were the saving grace of my application.