Premed 101 Forums

Magic Mushroom benefits?

Anoubis

Hi all, I just want to ask if someone ever tried using shrooms or truffles for medical purposes? I was reading some articles about this magic truffles and shrooms before engaging my self for the first time. Like this one from https://www.trufflemagic.com/blog/what-are-shrooms/ .They say that it has a very potent effect on the brain and hallucination. Unlike marijuana does it have any medical use? In one article that I've read magic truffles or shrooms compaired to synthetic drugs are very alarming. Also magic mushroom are use on reducing the symptoms of depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder and anxiety. It can also help people to quit smoking and alcohol addiction. Some studies also suggest the property of magic shrooms/truffles can be useful for cancer patients. I would really want to hear other insights regarding this new possible alternative meds. Thanks

Probably not going to get much input from this forum.

It's a fairly new area of research with some interesting results. There are also rumblings of there potentially being a vote in California regarding the status of psilocybin aka magic mushrooms.

Off the top of my head, there is an agency that works to promote research on the therapeutic benefits of psychadelics, they are called MAPS.

If you are looking for reading material, lookup MAPS, do a pubmed search, browse erowid, I'm sure there's a subreddit on psilocybin and microdosing.

I do not have any personal experience, extensive knowledge of the literature, nor do I recommend you pursue this, but the above resources can perhaps go a long way to satisfying your intellectual curiousity on the topic.

The more important question is why you are looking into the potential therapeutic use of psychadelics. If you suspect you are feeling unwell and perhaps experiencing symptoms suggestive of depression, OCD and/or anxiety, please talk to your family physician.

Archived