Premed 101 Forums

No EC's chances

Hi everyone, I'm a fourth year nursing student who is interested in applying to med school. I currently reside in Calgary. My GPA isn't TOO bad (3.7-3.8) but my main concern is my lack of volunteering. I have volunteered in hospitals and a few odd positions around uni, but nothing outstanding. I have found it difficult to volunteer because I work two jobs to help support my family. Would this look bad on med school applications? I know that those who get accepted have outstanding GPAs, research and a ton of ECs under their belt. I am looking to volunteer after graduation when I have a better paying job, but at this point it would not be with positions in school and I think it may be difficult without having any clubs to join. 

The point of volunteering is to demonstrate altruism and CanMEDS competencies by following one's interests. Work also demonstrates CanMEDS competencies. Many applicants are restricted in volunteering due to financial obligations. I don't believe you would look bad due to this. In fact, if you have children or a child, in my view, this is tantamount to volunteering. I never had research when I applied and was accepted. Don't worry about joining clubs, etc., focus on your academics and your family, apply and then let nature take its course. You can only do the  possible, not the impossible and this should not hold you back. I wish you every success. :P Welcome to the Forum!

1 hour ago, Bambi said:

The point of volunteering is to demonstrate altruism and CanMEDS competencies by following one's interests. Work also demonstrates CanMEDS competencies. Many applicants are restricted in volunteering due to financial obligations. I don't believe you would look bad due to this. In fact, if you have children or a child, in my view, this is tantamount to volunteering. I never had research when I applied and was accepted. Don't worry about joining clubs, etc., focus on your academics and your family, apply and then let nature take its course. You can only do the  possible, not the impossible and this should not hold you back. I wish you every success. :P Welcome to the Forum!

Thank you so much!

27 minutes ago, hartk48 said:

yeah I think that work + raising a family says a hell of a lot more about you than volunteering at the info desk (while lowkey doing your homework........)

Specifically, it might help if you could put activities you are involved in RELATED to your kid.

What I mean is, its hard to list "having a kid" directly (that would look strange).  However, are you involved in mommy and me classes, volunteer as a coach or to supervise you kid and others in some activity?  These look great, and tell people you have a kid that takes up most of your time without directly saying it.

(I mean this as I have been a file reviewer.  I get that taking care of a child in and of itself is a lot of work, but you will likely get an eyeroll if you put that directly...you need to be subtle about it/bring it up in other ways)

22 hours ago, PursuingTheDream said:

Hi everyone, I'm a fourth year nursing student who is interested in applying to med school. I currently reside in Calgary. My GPA isn't TOO bad (3.7-3.8) but my main concern is my lack of volunteering. I have volunteered in hospitals and a few odd positions around uni, but nothing outstanding. I have found it difficult to volunteer because I work two jobs to help support my family. Would this look bad on med school applications? I know that those who get accepted have outstanding GPAs, research and a ton of ECs under their belt. I am looking to volunteer after graduation when I have a better paying job, but at this point it would not be with positions in school and I think it may be difficult without having any clubs to join. 

Work experience is equally as valuable.

As always, the answer is “it depends”

each school understandably reserves the right to select applicants as they choose, based off of selection criteria that best represents their interests. Some schools specifically look at volunteering, and award “points” accordingly. The U of C is one school that specifically does not.

The responsibly is yours to demonstrate the ways in which you uphold the CANMED attributes in the abscence of specific volunteer activities for those schools that look at attributes, rather than specific activities. 

I was admitted to medicine without any volunteering, but then, my life commitments highlight the attributes that were “desirable”. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi  :),

Your GPA is slightly below average for U of C. However, you are doing a wonderful job by maintaining that average while still working two jobs.  I believe as long as you connect your employment experiences to CanMeds , you will be in a good position to receive an interview.  If you need help with Top 10 ( next year when you apply), PM me and I would be very happy to help. 

Best of Luck and Keep pursuing your Dreams :)

Archived