Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites & Regrets 2017/2018

4 minutes ago, al301330 said:

TIME STAMP: 9:15 (ASL)
Interview Invite or Regrets: Regrets
Early or Regular Deadline: Early
AGPA (if applicable):  -94
MCAT: 518
ECs: Thought they were just ok and it shows.  Publications, NSERCSs, executive positions in clubs, long-term hospital volunteering, heavily involved in student life, worked abroad for a summer etc. 
Current Degree:  4th year
Geography: oop
NAQ: 37.00
AQ:23.39

TFR: 60.39

I guess I know where to improve for next year and congrats to those who got (will get) an interview!

Your AGPA is inconsistent with your AQ!!

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, al301330 said:

TIME STAMP: 9:15 (ASL)
Early or Regular Deadline: Early
AGPA (if applicable):  -94
MCAT: 518
ECs: Thought they were just ok and it shows.  Publications, NSERCSs, executive positions in clubs, long-term hospital volunteering, heavily involved in student life, worked abroad for a summer etc. 
NAQ: 37.00
AQ:23.39

TFR: 60.39

I guess I know where to improve for next year and congrats to those who got (will get) an interview!

Sounds like he/she flipped his NAQ/AQ scores

3 minutes ago, whompwhomp said:

Is there any way to look up previous decisions? afaik, it just links me to this cycle's login page. 

If you log in it will give you an option on the home page to "show previous year". As long as you used the same login info.

TIME STAMP: 8:11pm EST
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
AGPA (if applicable): N/A GPA=91.05
MCAT: 522 (129/132/129/132)
ECs: founded/current president of 2 big clubs on campus, volunteered at same organization for 3 years (500 hrs), dr shadowing (200 hrs), 3 papers completed 1 sent for publication, tutoring, ran an undergraduate student journal (100 hrs, some other stuff
Current Degree: 3rd year BSc
Geography: OOP
NAQ: 18.01
AQ: 32.37

TFR: 50.38

Really wasn't expecting NAQ to be that low. Not sure what went wrong. Best of luck to those still waiting :)

It's strange that some people with publications are having NAQs close to mine, with no individual research or publications...

Just wondering everyone else think...is it worth it to do a 5-year degree for the sole purpose of increasing your gpa? I am done in May with my degree, but I am so not happy with the AQ. 

If it shows "Overall Grade Point Average" under my scores section, does that mean my GPA was not adjusted? In other words, for those of you who had your GPA adjusted, did it show "Adjusted Grade Point Average" under your scores section? Or did it show "Overall GPA" but you assume it was adjusted? 

1 minute ago, premed2017 said:

If it shows "Overall Grade Point Average" under my scores section, does that mean my GPA was not adjusted? In other words, for those of you who had your GPA adjusted, did it show "Adjusted Grade Point Average" under your scores section? Or did it show "Overall GPA" but you assume it was adjusted? 

My past one says adjusted grade point average.

TIME STAMP: 5:11 PST
AGPA (if applicable): 86.54
MCAT: 522
ECs: 3 Years volunteering Ski Patrol in rural area, establishing a ski patrol program for a local non-for profit, 100+ hour rural physician shadow, 50+ hour involvement in Rotary NFP events (safe rides, fundraisers etc), VP of HR for Enactus Club at local college for a year (as well as establishing the club as it was a new start up), Rotary Youth Leadership Award, 400+ hours rural hockey coaching, Grade 10 Violin Certification, 2500 hours working as First Aid attendant in remote northern community, establishing volunteering program between local high-school and hospital, and many others I do not have much in way of research or academic awards since I come from a rural town and we did not have many available. 
Current Degree: Bachelor of Science in Nursing 3rd year (previous: Advanced Diploma in Rural Pre-Medicine)
Geography: IP
NAQ: 10.30 (previous year was 17.44)
AQ: 24.98

TFR: 35.28

Seems like the competition for NAQs this year was ridiculous on every level. So many applicants with insane experiences getting in the low 20s? brutal.. and the 7 point drop for me despite adding 13 new activities was a hefty one to swallow... hopefully Calgary is more amicable (my rural application suits their criteria better anyways).

3 minutes ago, atsev1223 said:

It's strange that some people with publications are having NAQs close to mine, with no individual research or publications...

Just wondering everyone else think...is it worth it to do a 5-year degree for the sole purpose of increasing your gpa? I am done in May with my degree, but I am so not happy with the AQ. 

Do you know how the NAQ is calculated? It's my first year applying and I have no idea... 

1 hour ago, GlassCastle said:

TIME STAMP:
AGPA (if applicable): 83
MCAT: 507
ECs: Lots  NAQ score last cycle was a 34
Current Degree: Biology
NAQ: 28
AQ: 19.34

TFR: 47.42

Good luck everyone!! xo 

What's responsible for the 34->28? I thought NAQ scores could only go up?

1 minute ago, senotspets said:

What's responsible for the 34->28? I thought NAQ scores could only go up?

multiple people so far have reported a 4-8 point NAQ drop this year with respect to last year, myself included. Many of us added on to our activities it seems like... 

*quietly raises hand*

Do we expect more rejections this week or will that be all... scared still :/ Have received no emails yet and nothing in my OAS.

Sorry to everyone who has received an email today, I empathize. Like everyone has said, keep trying if this is really what you want. I am on my 3rd cycle, so I can relate.

Keep working on your activities, take more courses if you need to fix your gpa, make sacrifices for this. I have and I hope it will prove worthwhile in the end.

There seems to be a consistent trend in a sharp decrease in the NAQ this cycle and it also seems to be a consistent drop of 4-8 points despite many people adding more activities. This seems very odd and I think suggests that something in their scoring system is different this cycle. For there to be such a widespread drop in NAQ for most people must very likely means that UBC did something different this year with regards to NAQ scoring

Also something minor that might be of interest: there is a new Dean of Admissions this cycle. The previous dean was around for a few decades i think to this new dean may have possibly made some minor tweaks??

TIME STAMP: 8:10 (EST)
AGPA (if applicable):  N/A Overall GPA = 87.69
MCAT: 519
ECs: Variety (volunteering, research, jobs etc) 
NAQ: 32.18
AQ:26.89

TFR: 59.07

My GPA was my weakest point. Good luck to everyone waiting!

TIME STAMP: 5:12 PST
AGPA (if applicable): 82.42 (OGPA=78.49)
MCAT: 505
ECs: lots (1 first author publication, and another almost published; research; volunteering; exec/leadership roles in clubs)
Current Degree: MSc
NAQ: 29.45
AQ: 18.30

TFR: 47.75

Very disappointing. My first two years of undergrad were horrendous - Paying for it now :(. Thinking about trying to take TRU-O courses while working full time this semester - could increase AGPA by 1%...is it worth it? I have some ideas for NAQ that will improve my score, but any suggestions for places to do classes after work (M-F after 5:30PM or weekends)

:(:( 

10 minutes ago, Nandos said:

There seems to be a consistent trend in a sharp decrease in the NAQ this cycle and it also seems to be a consistent drop of 4-8 points despite many people adding more activities. This seems very odd and I think suggests that something in their scoring system is different this cycle. For there to be such a widespread drop in NAQ for most people must very likely means that UBC did something different this year with regards to NAQ scoring

Also something minor that might be of interest: there is a new Dean of Admissions this cycle. The previous dean was around for a few decades i think to this new dean may have possibly made some minor tweaks??

You know? This seems like the most reasonable explanation. I wonder what the tweaks were. It would be interesting to hear the perspective (on their NAQs) of people who have got an invite. I guess we have to wait and see.

TIME STAMP: emailed 5:18 pm pst
AGPA (if applicable):  90.51
MCAT:  517
ECs:  4 clubs, 6 volunteering positions at hospitals/clinics/charities, baseball, science fair committee, research, & international exchange
Current Degree: Honours Bachelor of science
Geography: OOP
NAQ: 25.66
AQ: 31.48
TFR: 57.14

NAQ was a lot lower than I expected. Not sure if it's the scoring itself or my activities after looking at everyone's stats this year. I actually had a really good UBC med student to edit my NAQ for me so I was expecting around 27-28 :unsure: ... As an OOP, I was expecting a rejection but I thought I'd be much closer to the cutoff.

Good luck to everyone else!

1 hour ago, _Caitlyn_ said:

Have been through 4 application cycles with 1 interview last year.

TIME STAMP: 5:13 PST
Interview Invite or Regrets: Regrets
AGPA (if applicable): 84.24
MCAT: 125/127/127/130  509
ECs: 1500 hrs giving volunteer riding lessons since middle school, competed regionally in riding for years, co-chair on a regional science fair committee for 3 years with 3 years previous judging experience, spent 3 weeks in Africa working on an orphanage, 5 weeks in Ecuador doing medical rotations/building low income housing, 200+ hours job shadowing in a hospital, Relay for Life, sell artwork for fundraising, tons of travelling, tutoring in high school. I currently work in a vet clinic which gives me tons of hands on experience and observing procedures.
Current Degree: BSc in BCMB
NAQ:  33.90/26.40
AQ: 21.94/21.27

TFR: 55.84/47.67

I was most surprised by my 8 point drop in NAQ, did anyone else experience that?

Please apply again next year, and keep up the good work. May just be random drop due to different reviewers, may just be more competitive pool. Hard to say, but its not uncommon to have big fluctuations(a class mate dropped 7 points, then the following year went back up(presumably because they got the interview again and got in)

39 minutes ago, Nandos said:

That makes a lot of sense to me. I'm wondering if the changes include weighting long-term commitment more heavily this cycle? Personally, many of my activities were short-term (around 1 year since I did an exchange in my third year).

Archived