Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites & Regrets 2017/2018

55 minutes ago, med_iris said:

Any MD/PhD applicant here? If so, have you guys heard anything yet? 

I am also an MD/PhD applicant but I haven't heard anything yet. I had assumed that we would receive our interview invites at the same time as everyone else and was starting to get cautiously optimistic. Do you have any insight on the normal timeline for MD/PhD II's?

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TIME STAMP: 5:11 PST (December 4th)
Interview Invite or Regrets: Regrets
Early or Regular Deadline: Early
GPA: 91.63
MCAT: 509
ECs: 1 pub (2nd author) & 2 posters (1st author, 2nd author); ECs very arts-heavy--classical singing for 10+ years, theatre/opera, dance teacher, choirs, etc.; other activities include camp counsellor, volunteer university tutor, some hospital volunteering (PM if you want more details)
Current Degree: Health Sciences
Geography: OOP
NAQ: 23.98
AQ: 33.30

TFR: 57.28

---

Definitely disappointed but not really surprised... Best of luck to all other applicants! Hopefully I'll have better luck in Ontario :P 

3 minutes ago, SurgeryNS said:

I am also an MD/PhD applicant but I haven't heard anything yet. I had assumed that we would receive our interview invites at the same time as everyone else and was starting to get cautiously optimistic. Do you have any insight on the normal timeline for MD/PhD II's?

Last year the MD/PhD regrets were released first thing Monday morning, even before the partial file reviews. 

1 hour ago, cardiac_arrest said:

So close... it's literally just my second year grades bringing me down, which is unfortunate. Every year other than that was solid. I might do a 5th year or a masters!

5th year >>> masters. Masters wont help your AGPA unless its a course based masters.  Then if thats the case, you may as well have done undergrad classes anyway.

4 minutes ago, SurgeryNS said:

This is my first applying UBC... From the previous years' post, I think we will receive the invite/reject around the same time as regular MD, but the sample size is really small for MD/PhD applicants. Being an OOP applicant, I was scared to keep my hope too high... fingers crossed!!! Best luck to you too!

8 minutes ago, familymed said:

TIME STAMP: 5:11 PST (December 4th)
Interview Invite or Regrets: Regrets
Early or Regular Deadline: Early
GPA: 91.63
MCAT: 509
ECs: 1 pub (2nd author) & 2 posters (1st author, 2nd author); ECs very arts-heavy--classical singing for 10+ years, theatre/opera, dance teacher, choirs, etc.; other activities include camp counsellor, volunteer university tutor, some hospital volunteering (PM if you want more details)
Current Degree: Health Sciences
Geography: OOP
NAQ: 23.98
AQ: 33.30

TFR: 57.28

---

Definitely disappointed but not really surprised... Best of luck to all other applicants! Hopefully I'll have better luck in Ontario :P 

I'm surprised you are below average on NAQ. I think it may be a wording problem. Or probably because they were not leadership roles?

Good luck with Ontario schools tho!

6 minutes ago, trnsatlnticism said:

Does anyone think that there are more rejections coming on Wednesday with the early invites, or even Thursday? Received my regrets on a Monday both other times - have yet to receive an email, not sure what to think!

We're you close to the cut off both those times?

39 minutes ago, JohnGrisham said:

5th year >>> masters. Masters wont help your AGPA unless its a course based masters.  Then if thats the case, you may as well have done undergrad classes anyway.

Not entirely true. I did a course based masters with a thesis and practicum component. I boosted my AGPA significantly and got 2 first author publications and 3 poster presentations out of my master's degree. Not to mention the clinical experience from the practicum component. I wouldn't be in the running if it weren't for my master's. 

8 minutes ago, sjw said:

Not entirely true. I did a course based masters with a thesis and practicum component. I boosted my AGPA significantly and got 2 first author publications and 3 poster presentations out of my master's degree. Not to mention the clinical experience from the practicum component. I wouldn't be in the running if it weren't for my master's. 

So it is simultaneously a course based masters AND a thesis based masters? That seems like the exception than the norm.  Usually thesis based masters have max 2-3 real courses per term.

A year of 30 credits in the form of undergrad 5th year, is much more likely to help AGPA than a masters, simply based on credits alone.  

It is of course situation dependent. You can still do research during 5th year too, with a research self-directed studies for example, or through a research assistant position.

There is also nothing stopping one from doing a masters after doing the 5th year. 

2 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

So it is simultaneously a course based masters AND a thesis based masters? That seems like the exception than the norm.  Usually thesis based masters have max 2-3 real courses per term.

A year of 30 credits in the form of undergrad 5th year, is much more likely to help AGPA than a masters, simply based on credits alone.  

It is of course situation dependent. You can still do research during 5th year too, with a research self-directed studies for example, or through a research assistant position.

There is also nothing stopping one from doing a masters after doing the 5th year. 

I agree that 5th year is a better option than a masters (2 year), but there's also the third option that I believe is better in every way- a 1 year graduate certificate.

You get to do a decently light course load, you get to keep up with whichever ECs you are currently involved in, and most importantly you get more options afterwards. If you get into med, you go. If you don't, it'll only take you 1 more year to finish your masters.

3 hours ago, trnsatlnticism said:

Does anyone think that there are more rejections coming on Wednesday with the early invites, or even Thursday? Received my regrets on a Monday both other times - have yet to receive an email, not sure what to think!

Anything's possible but its very unlikely. UBC Adcom seems to have found a system that works for them and have not deviated from it since the last 4(?) years. It's not a sure bet until you get the invite, but I think its reasonable to stop stressing for now.

32 minutes ago, peanut.socks said:

I didnt see them say it was an error.. the poster was GlassCastle (original post on page 3 of this thread)

I'm a bit skeptical because historically, all of the interview regrets seem to have come out on Monday, and theres only sparse anecdotal evidence that some regrets are handed out later. Also, GlassCastle says he saw the e-mail mid-week and deleted it right away. Perhaps the e-mail itself was sent on Monday?  

In any case, dissecting it probably wont help your chances as the decision has been made already, but I think everybody who didn't receive an e-mail can be optimistic about their chances. 

42 minutes ago, Torntoiletpaper said:

I'm a bit skeptical because historically, all of the interview regrets seem to have come out on Monday, and theres only sparse anecdotal evidence that some regrets are handed out later. Also, GlassCastle says he saw the e-mail mid-week and deleted it right away. Perhaps the e-mail itself was sent on Monday?  

In any case, dissecting it probably wont help your chances as the decision has been made already, but I think everybody who didn't receive an e-mail can be optimistic about their chances. 

Agree. Tomorrow or day after should be early deadline invites.

I was driving back from work on Hwy 17 at 5:11 and my phone beeped with an email. My fingers went numb and almost hit the curb. Fortunately, it wasn't from UBC.

5 minutes ago, Chaplin said:

Agree. Tomorrow or day after should be early deadline invites.

I was driving back from work on Hwy 17 at 5:11 and my phone beeped with an email. My fingers went numb and almost hit the curb. Fortunately, it wasn't from UBC.

Same thing.. I was still in a meeting at work around 5 pm and my phone beeped with an email. Needless to say, I zoned out thereafter as all these thoughts were racing through my head - while trying to look calm and collected in front of my colleagues. 

Archived