Premed 101 Forums

Cumulative GPA Calculation

3 hours ago, mia1234 said:

I am a re-applicant from Ontario as well. My GPA last year at Alberta was a 3.93 but this year is a 3.83, would anyone know why with the exact same transcript, my GPA would be so much lower? Should I be contacting the admissions office ?

Out of an abundance of caution and as this seems most strange, I would contact adcoms directly and bring to their attention that apparently for no reason your GPA calculation at Alberta has mysteriously dropped from 3.93 to 3.83 in their estimation, whereas there are no new facts. I would also attach evidence of their calculation of your GPA last cycle and this cycle, both calculations with the same transcript(?). In other words. too much evidence/information is better than less information - so they have all the facts before them. I would do this as soon as possible.   

2 hours ago, Bambi said:

Out of an abundance of caution and as this seems most strange, I would contact adcoms directly and bring to their attention that apparently for no reason your GPA calculation at Alberta has mysteriously dropped from 3.93 to 3.83 in their estimation, whereas there are no new facts. I would also attach evidence of their calculation of your GPA last cycle and this cycle, both calculations with the same transcript(?). In other words. too much evidence/information is better than less information - so they have all the facts before them. I would do this as soon as possible.   

Thank you for the suggestion, I have actually done just that. Hopefully I get a response soon. 

5 minutes ago, bclionsfan said:

contact the registrar, not the md admissions team. it seems like the U of A registrar's office is the one who calculates/processes gpa/transcripts for the md admissions team. let us know what you find out! 

by the way, your 3.93, was that average of all 4 years, with worst year removed? 

was the 3.83 all 4 years without the worst year removed?

Thank you for the heads up, I will try and contact the registrar's office instead. 

Also, I am not sure as both were just the published grades but I believe they were with the worst years removed. 

Archived