Premed 101 Forums

Hey everyone,

As we all know, Canadian D-schools aver very hard to get into and because of this, some of us apply to US or Australia. I was wondering how many tries an applicant usually takes if they only want to get into a Canadian school? 

Im really worried about the odds of getting in, and though I got accepted to an american dental school, the price tag associated to it is making me have second doubts, and thats why im trying to figure out how many times i should prepare myself to reapply in case this year doesn't work out....

Anyone in the same boat as i am? Do any of u know some success stories of re-applicants getting into a Canadian dental school?

Please share, we need to spread some hope on this forum :)

I'm super worried about this too. I haven't gotten my DAT score yet and it was my first time writing it so super nervous. From what I remember from the day of the test ... it didn't go well. And I'm in the same boat as you. Really hoping to get in in Canada because it's hard to afford anything else. Don't know what to do if I don't get in and how many times to give this dream a chance. Confuseddddd.

59 minutes ago, dentkaspire said:

I'm super worried about this too. I haven't gotten my DAT score yet and it was my first time writing it so super nervous. From what I remember from the day of the test ... it didn't go well. And I'm in the same boat as you. Really hoping to get in in Canada because it's hard to afford anything else. Don't know what to do if I don't get in and how many times to give this dream a chance. Confuseddddd.

luckily (or unluckily haha) we should be hearing from the CDA next week for our DAT scores, but as u said, so many of us are hoping for a seat in canada that it makes me wonder how many tries to give canadian dental schools a chance cz I dont want to give up on my dream of becoming a dentist... 

And im worried that ill be taking the "easy way out" if i go to the american dental school, and ill be paying off my tuition debt for the rest of my life, when i could have reapplied a few time to a canadian school and maybe gotten in.

i dont know what to do and this whole process is confusing , stressful and sooo uncertain :confused::confused: 

I got into an American school after my third year, and couldn't get into a Canadian school until after 4 years (because of a failed DAT). If you think you have a chance of making it to a Canadian school don't worry about taking many years and just go for it! Most people in my class applied multiple times before getting in, with a small minority getting in on their first attempt.

47 minutes ago, dentkid12 said:

I got into an American school after my third year, and couldn't get into a Canadian school until after 4 years (because of a failed DAT). If you think you have a chance of making it to a Canadian school don't worry about taking many years and just go for it! Most people in my class applied multiple times before getting in, with a small minority getting in on their first attempt.

Same with our class...there are people that wrote the DAT 3 times and applied multiple times to get into dental school here in Canada. It doesn't matter if you get in after your 3rd year, 4th year or 3 years after graduating, you're in the same boat once you get in. You'd be surprised to see so many people relate to you in your class so don't give up on your dream! Save those $$$ and think long-term before going abroad!

I know how you feel. I'm like on the borderline of being an average applicant and because of certain requirements that most schools have my only options are to apply to my province's dental school or schools outside of Canada. I would much rather go here and as long as I get an interview I'll be happy and keep trying. Not really expecting an interview this year (1st application) because of how I feel the DAT went but I'm hoping I can improve my score enough to get at least an interview next year. If not I'll start to consider other options but hopefully it won't come to that. 

3 hours ago, Super Nova said:

Its impossible to answer this question without knowing some statistics. It is competitive to get into a Canadian dental school but and it is only very difficult if you are a subpar applicant. If you are not getting an interview, you are a subpar applicant by definition. If you do get an interview, it means you got what it takes to be in the discussion, but maybe not enough to be in the class depending on whether you end up getting an acceptance or not.

For example the poster above who didn't get an interview for 4 years, and then interviewed for a few more years before getting in, that's absurd. You have to weigh your options. If it was me, i would have just taken the expensive price tag and gone to the states or Australia because paying a couple hundred grand more is still nothing compared to wasting 5+ years trying to get into here. If you don't got what it takes to get in here, then you don't got what it takes. No shame in going to the states or Australia. You will come out just as good as if you went to a Canadian university or even better!

This is coming from someone who got in quick

you  make some good points, thanks for the insight.

and when u say "coming from someone who got in quick", do you mean you got in to a Canadian dental school on ur first try?

Yes! and i have friends who tried once and applied elsewhere (one is in the states right now and the other just got into Australia) and even though they will pay more and the one in Australia is a 5 year program, we will all come out great dentists and the one in the states will probably actually have more clinical experience under his belt as his school has a heavy patient base. 

On 12/5/2017 at 5:02 PM, Super Nova said:

Its impossible to answer this question without knowing some statistics. It is competitive to get into a Canadian dental school but and it is only very difficult if you are a subpar applicant. If you are not getting an interview, you are a subpar applicant by definition. If you do get an interview, it means you got what it takes to be in the discussion, but maybe not enough to be in the class depending on whether you end up getting an acceptance or not.

For example the poster above who didn't get an interview for 4 years, and then interviewed for a few more years before getting in, that's absurd. You have to weigh your options. If it was me, i would have just taken the expensive price tag and gone to the states or Australia because paying a couple hundred grand more is still nothing compared to wasting 5+ years trying to get into here. If you don't got what it takes to get in here, then you don't got what it takes. No shame in going to the states or Australia. You will come out just as good as if you went to a Canadian university or even better!

-

18 hours ago, Driillzz said:

you  make some good points, thanks for the insight.

and when u say "coming from someone who got in quick", do you mean you got in to a Canadian dental school on ur first try?

I also got in on my first try but I don't agree with Nova saying people are wasting their time if they continue to apply after not being accepted. There are lots of factors that can influence if someone can go abroad like cost, responsibilities, attachments, and even understanding if they can live a healthy lifestyle alone. I respect everyone who got into the program whether it was their first try or after applying for years. It shows me their dedication not only to want to be in the profession but also the drive to go into a school they like and can be proud to represent. 

7 hours ago, YesIcan55 said:

think twice before you type buddy. You have no right to say that someone "wasted 5 years of their life"

I'm saying in my opinion it is silly not to consider alternatives. I don't care how people choose to spend their time. It doesn't bother me one bit since it doesn't effect me. I prefaced the comment by saying "If it was me", and i proceeded accordingly, buddy. 

On 12/5/2017 at 6:02 PM, Super Nova said:

19 minutes ago, Anti_Dentite said:

Subpar applicant here who got in after my 6th year of University. I don't consider my time wasted at all and I'm rather glad that I could save "a couple hundred grand" by attending a Canadian school. Your post history seems to indicate you are a current applicant, where did you get in?

As for OP, if you managed to get an acceptance to a US school chances are high that you'll likely land some interviews at Canadian schools. Depending on where you live, your best chances at acceptance are probably the IP schools. I wouldn't sweat it if you don't get in your first try. Looking back, I'm actually kind of glad I didn't get in on my first try. At least for me, the extra time allowed me to mature both as a student and as a person. Think long term as others have said; go with whatever school makes the most financial sense to you, they all teach the same thing.

hi anti-dentite, thanks so much for contributing to this thread. its nice to hear about determined applicants with success stories! 

Just a question, if u dont mind: if you did 6 years of university, and didnt get in on ur first try, does that mean u completed a 2 year masters before u finally got accepted? If so, what made u decide to continue ur education before reapplying? Im asking because i've always wondered if i can just take a gap year (eg. work, volunteer, etc.) before reapplying, instead of having to do a masters. 

Yes I've also talked to many people in different grad years who tried multiple times to get in before being accepted in Canada. So patience and a "plan" appear key. Although I would do the calculations of the American investment - if you factor in the number of extra earning potential in the interim years (assuming the work you do waiting to get into Canadian is not well-paying) - then for some the american investment may in fact make sense. Certainly many are  practicing here after having gone to the many american schools that our canadian dat would qualify us for. 

On December 6, 2017 at 10:54 PM, Anti_Dentite said:

Subpar applicant here who got in after my 6th year of University. I don't consider my time wasted at all and I'm rather glad that I could save "a couple hundred grand" by attending a Canadian school. Your post history seems to indicate you are a current applicant, where did you get in?

As for OP, if you managed to get an acceptance to a US school chances are high that you'll likely land some interviews at Canadian schools. Depending on where you live, your best chances at acceptance are probably the IP schools. I wouldn't sweat it if you don't get in your first try. Looking back, I'm actually kind of glad I didn't get in on my first try. At least for me, the extra time allowed me to mature both as a student and as a person. Think long term as others have said; go with whatever school makes the most financial sense to you, they all teach the same thing.

Thx for the reassurance!!

Archived