Premed 101 Forums

L'anglicisme durant les MEM's

J'ai souvent l'habitude de dire des mots ou des expressions en anglais quand je ne peux pas penser du mot en français. Je vais essayer de mon mieux à régler ce problème d'ici les entrevues mais je voulais juste savoir si on est pénaliser pour utiliser quelques mots en anglais afin de mieux s'exprimer? C'est peut-être une question stupide mias je n'ai jamais passer les MEM's donc je ne sais vraiment pas...

Don't do it. It is a French Interview. Just like exams at franco med schools, you write them in French and never write anything in  English. It is not a risk worth taking when you are being considered for acceptance. Better to remain silent for a moment while you gather your thoughts than go to English. The other applicants won't. So, if you were grading the applicants, and kept going to English every now and then, would this sway your grade and would it be detrimental? I had a tough time during the MEM, even though it was a good experience, and I succeeded. My French was very very rusty after English Cegep & university. I did not say one word in English. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would say it probably depends on who's interviewing you. There were multiple instances where i couldn't remember/didn't know the correct French word. If I couldn't find the right word after a few seconds of trying, I would say it in English. Once an interviewer even helped me find the word I was looking for. I got into a francophone med school (I did have good grades though, so that might've offset my language issues).

I would suggest to try your best to not use any English words, but if you,re really stuck, it,s better to say it in English and get your point across instead of wasting time/not saying that idea.

On 2017-12-06 at 1:17 AM, member_225 said:

J'ai souvent l'habitude de dire des mots ou des expressions en anglais quand je ne peux pas penser du mot en français. Je vais essayer de mon mieux à régler ce problème d'ici les entrevues mais je voulais juste savoir si on est pénaliser pour utiliser quelques mots en anglais afin de mieux s'exprimer? C'est peut-être une question stupide mias je n'ai jamais passer les MEM's donc je ne sais vraiment pas...

Shit et fuck ne compte pas tes correct. 

This is something I've been struggling with too. In my home our conversations are basically a mix of French, English and other foreign languages. I realized that whenever I speak to either only Anglophones or only Francophones, I stutter and keep searching for my words and just end up saying the words in the language that comes up easier. One thing that I find helped me is that I stick to one language as much as I can before an interview and I read books and change my phone to that language. 

8 minutes ago, winxbloom said:

This is something I've been struggling with too. In my home our conversations are basically a mix of French, English and other foreign languages. I realized that whenever I speak to either only Anglophones or only Francophones, I stutter and keep searching for my words and just end up saying the words in the language that comes up easier. One thing that I find helped me is that I stick to one language as much as I can before an interview and I read books and change my phone to that language. 

Imagine si t’avais la Tourette tu serais batté solide man. 

On 14/12/2017 at 5:18 PM, peede said:

I would say it probably depends on who's interviewing you. There were multiple instances where i couldn't remember/didn't know the correct French word. If I couldn't find the right word after a few seconds of trying, I would say it in English. Once an interviewer even helped me find the word I was looking for. I got into a francophone med school (I did have good grades though, so that might've offset my language issues).

I would suggest to try your best to not use any English words, but if you,re really stuck, it,s better to say it in English and get your point across instead of wasting time/not saying that idea.

Agree. One word now and then if you can't find the word/expression in French won't hurt you and it's better than saying nothing at all and missing the opportunity to express yourself in a significant way. Besides, most francophones do it without even noticing they're doing it. We see it every single day while talking to staff and residents in hospitals during our rotations.