Premed 101 Forums

Mcgill Interview Invites/regrets 2017/2018

kiterunner

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • IP/OOP/International: IP

• Letter of EC: Yes, Had to take care of my mother because of a severe illness when I was 18. So there was one semester where I had C+ or B- average. 

• TIME STAMP : 10h00 AM

• Result : Invite
  • wGPA : 3.86 GPA and 3.76GPA with no EC
  • MCAT : no
  • CASPer: I thought I did okay. There are some questions where I thought I  gave really good answers and others where I felt like I messed up because I had to think more, but overall I wasn't confident about it. One thing for sure, I gave my honest answers. 
  • ECs : PM me for that, but just to give you an idea. I'm always impliacted with my community. 
  • Years :  B.Sc. in microbiology + 1 st year Master's
  • Result : Invited
  • Minerva status : Further Review Required
  • Minerva checklist : An interview date appeared
  • Guys... I don't know if I will end up being accepted after the interview, but I can tell you for sure that I feel that getting an interview is already a success for me after being rejected several times. Good luck to everyone and believe in your capacities and potentiel. You will get there. 
  • I'm crying

1 minute ago, MEDusa said:
  • IP/OOP/International: IP

• Letter of EC: Yes, Had to take care of my mother because of a severe illness when I was 18. So there was one semester where I had C+ or B- average. 

• TIME STAMP : 10h00 AM

• Result : Invite
  • wGPA : 3.86 GPA and 3.76GPA with no EC
  • MCAT : no
  • CASPer: I thought I did okay. There are some questions where I thought I really gave good hearted answer and other where I felt like I messed it up because I had to think more, but overall I wasn't confident about it. One thing for sure, I gave my honest answers. 
  • ECs : PM me for that, but just to give you an idea. I'm always impliacted with my community. 
  • Years :  B.Sc. in microbiology + 1 st year Master's
  • Result : Invited
  • Minerva status : Further Review Required
  • Minerva checklist : An interview date appeared
  • Guys... I don't know if I will end up being accepted after the interview, but I can tell you for sure that I feel that getting an interview is already a success for me after being rejected several times. Good luck to everyone and believe in your capacities and potentiel. You will get there. 

Congrats :)! 

TIME STAMP: 11:15
Result: Reject
wGPA: 4.0
MCAT: (if submitted): 528
ECs: pretty good - a few volunteer positions, an unusual work position, a few clubs with some leadership
Year: UG (4th year)

IP/OOP/International: OOP

Letter of EC: No

CASPer: felt OK, good enough for a Mac interview.

Edit: this is scaring me a bit about my CASPer for Ottawa and Alberta. 

3 minutes ago, Comprehensible said:

TIME STAMP: 11:15
Result: Reject
wGPA: 4.0
MCAT: (if submitted): 528
ECs: pretty good - a few volunteer positions, an unusual work position, a few clubs with some leadership
Year: UG (4th year)

IP/OOP/International: OOP

CASPer: felt OK, good enough for a Mac interview.

...Damn, those are some impressive stats. Well, good luck with your interview at McMaster!

IME STAMP: 11:16 am
Result: Invite
wGPA: 3.96
MCAT: N/A
ECs:  Over 2yrs work in Dementia research (no publications so far, hopefully soon), STEM outreach volunteering (3 yrs) with kids, Science Fair Judge (2 yrs) high school level +  multiple one time volunteering events, few scholarships and academic awards.
Year: BSc Biology completed in 2015, Second BSc in Psychology.

IP/OOP/International: IP

CASPer: I thing I did well. It is hard to say. I did not prepare much, but I found most of the Qs interesting to answer!

PS. I just want to know congrats to all of you who got invites and those who did not, DO NOT GIVE UP! I have been applying to Dent for the last 6 years, and this is my first invite! IM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!!! :)

Last year Minerva was changing up to midnight! Maybe try to check every hour!

Many of this may know this but if your status changed to "ready for review" it was unfortunately a rejection. 
If it was blank it changed to decision pending - wait list interview! And the wait list does move! For dent it moved 5 spots last year :)
Further review required - Congrats :)

Good luck! 

Result: Invite
wGPA: 3.84
MCAT: Nope
ECs: 3+ years of volunteering, executive positions at my student association, implication in diversity committee, lots of research (3 papers published), won some research grants. I even wrote that I played Dungeons and Dragons. Don't underestimate the importance of writing something unusual or funny to make your application stand out (as long as you're able to justify its relevance).
Casper: I have mixed feelings about the Casper. I don't think I could say anything relevant for you, dear reader.
Year: 3rd year PhD

nevermind, mine was just updated :( 

Time stamp: 11:22 AM 

Result: Refused 

wGPA: 3.67 

MCAT: - 

ECs: lots of hospital volunteering, honours research project, lab volunteering, various jobs both at and outside mcgill, etc..

Year: graduated UG december 2017 

IP/OOP: IP

CASPer: Really hard for me to tell how I did considering there’s no feedback whatsoever and basically nothing to compare it to. But I thought I did pretty decent? 

Anyways, I’m not surprised. I screwed up my first year really bad but then got almost straight A’s to bring my GPA up, oh well! congrats to everyone who got an invite and good luck!!!!!

25 minutes ago, Vendar said:

Last year Minerva was changing up to midnight! Maybe try to check every hour!

Many of this may know this but if your status changed to "ready for review" it was unfortunately a rejection. 
If it was blank it changed to decision pending - wait list interview! And the wait list does move! For dent it moved 5 spots last year :)
Further review required - Congrats :)

Good luck! 

Doesn't it say "Ready for review" for everybody before interview invites?! :o  Mine has been ready for review since i submitted my application...

Time stamp: 11:45

Result: Refused (as expected tbh!)

wGPA: 3.3 w/o EC letter/around 3.5 with.

ECs: above-average, imo. 1 year hospital volunteering, first aid certified, hazmat certified, trained event medic and medic trainer, I'm a professional researcher, got a $7000 research scholarship to do a Master's after my first degree, I'm an athletic runner and trained marathoner, I work with several community groups/organizations and do around 10-20 hours a week of community organizing (have for about 3 years now)... I could go on for a while. 

MCAT: yes, but I don't have the results yet so it wasn't submitted in this cycle.

Year: Final year ish of second B.A. degree.

IP/OOP: IP NTP

CASPER: 

Letter of EC: yes

Good luck to everyone & congrats to all who got invites! I'll be reapplying in the regular category with hopefully a much higher GPA in the next cycle, so much more hopeful about my chances next year. :)

My status just changed to Reviewed - Decision Pending. Are we expected to find out what our waitlist # is? In the email I received, it said the following, "Please note that we cannot provide any information regarding the waitlist, nor can we offer any predictions or probabilities".

In previous years, I remember applicants being notified of their waitlist position. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Just now, Zlatan_ said:

My status just changed to Reviewed - Decision Pending. Are we expected to find out what our waitlist # is? In the email I received, it said the following, "Please note that we cannot provide any information regarding the waitlist, nor can we offer any predictions or probabilities".

In previous years, I remember applicants being notified of their waitlist position. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

This happened to me last year! They won't tell you your waitlist position but keep hope alive. I got an interview off of the waitlist last year. So it's definitely possible. 

TIME STAMP: 12:00
Result: Invited!!!
wGPA: 3.96
MCAT: 521

CASPER: No idea. Was brutally honest, not sure if helped or didn't. Was worried because I had 2 or 3 scenarios on which I couldn't complete my answers, so I'm pretty relieved that this didn't tank me.

Feeling incredibly grateful for the opportunity, and super excited to be meeting so many of you folks in the coming weeks. Wishing you all the best of luck for the MMI's!

To those of you who didn't get in: I know it might not feel this way right now, but it's not over. This is a long marathon, but it'll be worth it at the end. Keep your chin up, you can do it.

Archived