Premed 101 Forums

Mcgill Interview Invites/regrets 2017/2018

kiterunner

On 1/26/2018 at 9:29 PM, jakepaul said:

Oh okay, I see. I have an outlook account which I assume is similar. Would you recommend I contact admissions as well to make them aware of my specific case?

As long as you're able to send your documents through Minerva I think it's okay, and they probably would have fix the problem by now for further email communications. But it won't hurt to contact them either if it makes you feel safer!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TtIME STAMP: 10:05 for the email
Result: Invite 
wGPA: 3.90 undergrad, currently doing a 1year course-based masters but no marks included
MCAT: 518
ECs: family caregiving, some jobs at the bank, come tutoring, some sports etc; nothing I thought was major especially because I haven't gotten a single invite from a any ontario school in the past 3 years so... yeah not really sure what's going on here.
Year: Last year of 1year masters

IP/OOP/International: OOP

Letter of EC: No

CASPER: I think it went well, I'd done these a couple of times now so I felt like I knew an approach that worked for me and clearly it mattered but  I didn't apply to mc and got rejected from Ottawa so I honestly couldn't tell you any more at this point. 

After 3 cycles of never getting to an interview in Ontario and just deciding to apply to McGill this year, I honestly think they had to have made a mistake for letting me interview but I also know we take those and I'm gonna try my best to ride this all the way to the bank.

hope to see y'all there!

4 hours ago, coherence123 said:

TtIME STAMP: 10:05 for the email
wGPA: 3.90 undergrad, currently doing a 1year course-based masters but no marks included
MCAT: 518
ECs: family caregiving, some jobs at the bank, come tutoring, some sports etc; nothing I thought was major especially because I haven't gotten a single invite from a any ontario school in the past 3 years so... yeah not really sure what's going on here.
Year: Last year of 1year masters

CASPER: I think it went well, I'd done these a couple of times now so I felt like I knew an approach that worked for me and clearly it mattered but  I didn't apply to mc and got rejected from Ottawa so I honestly couldn't tell you any more at this point. 

After 3 cycles of never getting to an interview in Ontario and just deciding to apply to McGill this year, I honestly think they had to have made a mistake for letting me interview but I also know we take those and I'm gonna try my best to ride this all the way to the bank.

hope to see y'all there!

hey dont cut yourself short! I'm sure you're an excellent candidate. Congratulations, and all the best on your interview

1 hour ago, Ethicality said:

Once we have submitted all three forms, is that all we have to do before showing up to the interview? Is there no verification email etc.?

Yep that is it! They could email to reupload because of low quality, but most likely not! Just don't forget to bring the exact same ids on the interview date

Application statistics for the current cycle have been released:

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/after-youve-applied/currentapplicantstats

The average GPA has shot up by quite a bit this year. Unsure this is just an outlier year or this will be a trend from now on.

With only 260 invited so far, I would venture to guess that 20-30ish people will be invited to interview with the Med-P's later on, so here's some hope for the IP waitlisted folks.

17 hours ago, MedP111 said:

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/after-youve-applied/currentapplicantstats

The average GPA has shot up by quite a bit this year. Unsure this is just an outlier year or this will be a trend from now on.

With only 260 invited so far, I would venture to guess that 20-30ish people will be invited to interview with the Med-P's later on, so here's some hope for the IP waitlisted folks.

Thanks for posting the link. I noticed that the number of MD/PhD invitations has increased substantially from 9 in 2017 to 19 in 2018. Would MD/PhD applicants be considered as a part of either "79 anticipated number of seats for Quebec residents" and "up to 11 anticipated number of seats for OOP Canadian citizens"?

1 hour ago, MedP111 said:

sooo... better odds of getting an acceptance this year...?

1 hour ago, MedP111 said:

Wow. # of OOP applicants increased by quite a bit.. about 20%. The rest seems pretty comparable to prior year.

1 hour ago, feelinglucky said:

Thanks for posting the link. I noticed that the number of MD/PhD invitations has increased substantially from 9 in 2017 to 19 in 2018. Would MD/PhD applicants be considered as a part of either "79 anticipated number of seats for Quebec residents" and "up to 11 anticipated number of seats" for OOP Canadian citizens"?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe admitted MD/PhD applicants are indeed counted in both of these categories.

16 minutes ago, guest2017 said:

sooo... better odds of getting an acceptance this year...?

Number of invitations is less than last year, but remember that there are fewer seats available this year too. Plus, if they decide to go the route of inviting more IP people to interview with the Med-P's in April, then most likely the odds will actually be worse. But I'm praying you're right haha

2 hours ago, MedP111 said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe admitted MD/PhD applicants are indeed counted in both of these categories.

Number of invitations is less than last year, but remember that there are fewer seats available this year too. Plus, if they decide to go the route of inviting more IP people to interview with the Med-P's in April, then most likely the odds will actually be worse. But I'm praying you're right haha

I thought McGill was sending offers of admissions about a month after the interviews.... so end of March. But if IPs were to do interviews with med-Ps in April, that means the offers will be delayed to May? :( 

5 minutes ago, Elgar said:

I thought McGill was sending offers of admissions about a month after the interviews.... so end of March. But if IPs were to do interviews with med-Ps in April, that means the offers will be delayed to May? :( 

No, interview decisions for those of us who interview in 3 weeks will definitely be out by the end of March. Based on what happened in a number of past years (McGill sometimes inviting a few waitlisted people to interview with the Med-P's in April), however, some users have speculated that not all available seats are filled at the end of March. For instance, if there are 79 seats, only 70 offers might go out in March, with the 9 remaining ones offered to the 9 highest ranking candidates once the remaining candidates interview in April. See the waitlist discussion thread from last year to get the whole rundown!

I don't really know why McGill does this. They've interviewed up to 300 IP people within 4 days in the past, so it's not like it's a problem of space. It's as though they just sometimes change their mind on how many they want to interview.

33 minutes ago, MedP111 said:

No, interview decisions for those of us who interview in 3 weeks will definitely be out by the end of March. Based on what happened in a number of past years (McGill sometimes inviting a few waitlisted people to interview with the Med-P's in April), however, some users have speculated that not all available seats are filled at the end of March. For instance, if there are 79 seats, only 70 offers might go out in March, with the 9 remaining ones offered to the 9 highest ranking candidates once the remaining candidates interview in April. See the waitlist discussion thread from last year to get the whole rundown!

I don't really know why McGill does this. They've interviewed up to 300 IP people within 4 days in the past, so it's not like it's a problem of space. It's as though they just sometimes change their mind on how many they want to interview.

Oh I see, thank you! This really is a strange way to proceed.....

I'm a bit late, sorry!

TIME STAMP: 10:06 PM January 26 for the email, but portal updated in the morning
wGPA: 3.99
MCAT: not submitted (521)
ECs: Shadowing doctor 6 months, 3 summers of research, 3 years mentoring, extracurricular teacher, other volunteering
Year: UG 4th (and final) year

IP

17 hours ago, la marzocco said:

Wow. # of OOP applicants increased by quite a bit.. about 20%. The rest seems pretty comparable to prior year.

Does anyone know if the number of OOP spots is also being reduced this year? 50 invited to interview this year as opposed to 52 last year, could mean (slightly) better odds of admission for OOP.

Hey!

Whether I'm accepted or no, I post this to encourage you guys to never give up :

Result: Invite !
wGPA: 3.65 or 3,71 with EC
MCAT: didn't submit
ECs: volunteering ++, experience abroad, lots of different work experience, few research...i think I have a pretty good CV
Year: UG (what year) : 2015 nutrition (Udem) honors program

IP/OOP/International: IP

Letter of EC: Yes 

I want to post this to encourage anyone out there to never give up. First year in my UG, I went to see a school advisor and he basically told me that I'd never get into MD. Despite that, I worked really hard and it's something I'm very proud of. Now getting an interview into MD and I'm confident.. feeling I really have my place even if my GPA isn't 4.

It wasn't just bad experience. Even if I worked really hard at school, I also enjoyed life a lot (had jobs I was passionnate about, traveled when I could, etc.)

Grades are important but not just the grades. It sounds really cheesy but the journey is important too, and all the things you learn through these years of premed. You can do it!

Good luck to all of you doing the interview this year:)

23 minutes ago, TR12345 said:

Allo! Juste pour vous dire que j'étais sur la liste d'attente pour les entrevues et que mon statut a changé ce soir pour "examen ultérieur requis" avec une date d'entrevue!!!! Alors la liste d'attente IP avance!!

Toutes mes felicitations! Pourrais-tu nous dire si ta date d'entrevue est en fin Fevrier, ou en Avril? Juste curieux :)

TIME STAMP: February 1, 2018 (8:00 PM MST)
Result: Invite (Off Waitlist)
wGPA: 3.98 (?)
MCAT: Not Submitted
ECs: Coaching, Research (No Pubs), Various Volunteering, Athletics
Year: Completed BSc.

CASPER: Didn't feel good but apparently went well? Did not receive invites to McMasters (125 CARs) or Ottawa however.

I can't believe this! Good luck to everyone and I look forward to meeting some of you!

On 2/1/2018 at 10:50 AM, canada747 said:

Does anyone know if the number of OOP spots is also being reduced this year? 50 invited to interview this year as opposed to 52 last year, could mean (slightly) better odds of admission for OOP.

Weirdly enough it looks like the odds just got reduced. They updated their statistics and apparently invited 54 OOP to interview this year... 

On 2018-02-07 at 11:00 AM, TOgirl said:

Weirdly enough it looks like the odds just got reduced. They updated their statistics and apparently invited 54 OOP to interview this year... 

I wonder if people who were invited but rejected the invite are included in that 54?

Archived