Premed 101 Forums

Is GPA really important when applying to the NSERC USRA (undergrad) program?

Crystal Hoang

I'm aware that NSERC USRA strongly looks at the students' GPA and what year they're in, but are they also looking for students who aren't from a complete science department?  

I'm double majoring in Biology and Visual Arts and I'm currently in first year. My first semester grade is a around a 3.3 GPA which isn't very high, so does NSERC USRA only look at your first semester grades?

In my school, I was able to obtain two summers of the USRA. I would GPA is important, but you don't need to be the TOP TOP student. I was lucky in that I did a research thesis with the one prof first, and the other I had a class with and was extremely engaged with the professor by answering questions, going to them for help, and actually trying to learn about their research. In your case, if you don't have a class with them, try to meet with the professor and explain why you're interested in their research and talk about how your background will assist them. Try to take a class that they teach as well. This is just my experience though, so it isn't a blanket answer by any means.

@Meridian is right that it's highly school and department dependent, and the process can vary a lot. In my former department, having a well established relationship with a supervisor could go a really long way to securing an award. This usually started by doing something like getting interested in the research of a particular professor and/or taking their class, as @IMislove suggested. I knew several students with pretty mediocre GPAs in their early years who got excited about an area of interest and worked hard on it, and were able to get a USRA through the department with a proposed supervisor's support. But at some other schools with other selection processes, GPA may be a much more important factor in the selection process. 

Best place to start is to talk to your departmental office and find out what the process would be for you. This will help you understand if GPA will be a limiting factor for you or not.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/24/2017 at 5:22 PM, Meridian said:

I also do not think you can apply in first year undergrad (but I may be incorrect on that).

Depends on the school. One east-coast university didn't allow it despite having enough credits to be considered second year and the support of two faculty. One prairie university allowed it

Archived