Premed 101 Forums

why so many 4.0s get rejected?

41 minutes ago, bananabread1212 said:

What would be considered good ECs/volunteer experience? I feel like most premeds have pretty much the same ECs, so what makes one stand out among the others?

Can be anything really, from playing an instrument for years to research in a prestigious institution with publications. 

it can even be your basic volunteering if you go above your role and have an impact. 

There is no objective standard here... push yourself

3 hours ago, bananabread1212 said:

What would be considered good ECs/volunteer experience? I feel like most premeds have pretty much the same ECs, so what makes one stand out among the others?

Let CanMEDS competencies and impacting others in the community be your guide.

On 2017-12-28 at 2:54 PM, Bambi said:

Let CanMEDS competencies and impacting others in the community be your guide.

Couldn't have been said any better. Please do not look at posts in acceptance/rejected and figure out what ECs or volunteering you need. Do what you're passionate about and what Bambi said and I promise you it will be sufficient. Also, just as there are cutoffs for GPA, there are cutoffs for Casper scores, as well as others have stated that GPA is not the only factor in consideration (however still a good predictor for interview invites). What I can tell you is that once you get an interview, a 4.0 GPA will do little to compensate for a lower interview score than another candidate (I have explained this in a previous post and do not feel like re-explaning :P)

Good luck!

Mr Duck

Archived