Premed 101 Forums

Hotels - Locations, Discounts, etc.

Birdy

Hello fellow stressed-out interviewees,

Thought I'd make a thread to post which hotels we'd recommend for interviews. It would be particularly useful for locals to the schools to make suggestions (areas to avoid due to construction or generally awful traffic which might make one late, for instance.)

Also if you have any discount codes or anything of the sort, those'd be appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Dermviser said:

Do you recommend booking multiple one-way tickets or multi-city?

When there's no price difference and your dates are locked in, book multiple one-ways. With a multi-city, if you miss any single one of your flights, all of the succeeding flights will be canceled--say you turn up at the airport a bit late, now you're forced to pay airline A $400 for a change even though you could've bought the same one-way ticket on airline B for $350. Conversely, if you anticipate having to shift things by one day in each location, multi-city is cheaper since you're charged per ticket, and so one multi-city ticket is cheaper to change than several one-way tickets.

1 hour ago, insomnias said:

When there's no price difference and your dates are locked in, book multiple one-ways. With a multi-city, if you miss any single one of your flights, all of the succeeding flights will be canceled--say you turn up at the airport a bit late, now you're forced to pay airline A $400 for a change even though you could've bought the same one-way ticket on airline B for $350. Conversely, if you anticipate having to shift things by one day in each location, multi-city is cheaper since you're charged per ticket, and so one multi-city ticket is cheaper to change than several one-way tickets.

Wish I'd known that before booking my multi-city haha. 

anyone at the sheraton hotel for queen's on the 22-23 who wouldn't mind splitting the room? it's fully booked so I can't make a reservation and there doesn't seem to be another hotel close by :(

or does anyone have suggestions for another close-by hotel to that hotel?

8 hours ago, Pikacho said:

anyone at the sheraton hotel for queen's on the 22-23 who wouldn't mind splitting the room? it's fully booked so I can't make a reservation and there doesn't seem to be another hotel close by :(

or does anyone have suggestions for another close-by hotel to that hotel?

There's actually quite a few options for hotels in downtown Kingston close by!

Marriott Delta Hotels Waterfront is the closest, just across the street.

Confederation Place Hotel and Holiday Inn are both a 5 min walk down the street.

Don't forget CMA discounts!

Car rental and train travel. Saved a bit for myself on those. 

Also check your reward points balances. I didn't realize until I checked, but I had enough rewards with my credit card to book a car rental and hotel nights. Also have enough Scene points Scotia card that I can buy quite a few meals while travelling using them (1000 points is $10 off at certain restaurants.) 

In Vancouver, I really like the Kingston hotel. It's right downtown, and you can get a room for $60/night. You get a private bedroom with a shared bathroom down the hall and a bagel/tea/juice breakfast. 

I'm not sure where other specialties are interviewing, but for anyone who has to go out to UBC campus for interviews lots of you may want to stay closer to campus. But it is fairly reasonalble to get to campus with the skytrain and an express bus. It's a nice little place to know about for future trips to the city because I don't know of many other places in downtown vancouver where you can stay for that cheap and be right downtown in a not-a-dive place.  

Archived