Premed 101 Forums

Winging the interview - no prep

3 hours ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

Has anyone ever successfully done this? Curious if there is anyone out there who, apart from familiarizing themselves with the format, basically just went in and had conversations without any real prep and then was admitted.

Comparatively, this was more or less my strategy - i went to two of those large group student led sessions run at UBC..and it wasn't for me. Read the first chapter of Doing Right and put it away.  For me, it was more about spending time just thinking about what I have done over the years and how I could relate them potentially in an interview setting. 

I know some people had structures, pros and cons etc etc. Perhaps my less structured approach was a refreshing change of pace?  If you've had a lot of experience talking with strangers and being in uncomfortable situations, that longitudinal experience is likely easier to rely on that "intense interview prep". 

But what works for some people, may not work for others. You have to do whatever it is that makes you calm, collected and confident(to an extent). After being a nervous wreck for the first station, the rest of the MMI was quite enjoyable and fun. 

Yes, absolutely. Actually, you have been preparing your entire life through your accumulated life experiences. And the more difficulty you encountered with these experiences, the better. I learned to dive by diving! You need to be a critical & quick thinker and to be able to problem solve on the fly with the limited information you have at the time. Actually, the MMI is a fun experience and you should go in treating it as such.

I only had two interviews for med school - both MMIs. For the first one, I arrived from out of town late the night before and had done virtually no prep.  It went terribly.  For the second interview, I did attend one morning session in TO on MMI prep and it did seem helpful.  Nonetheless, I walked into the interview with absolutely no expectations or anxiety since it was in French and I felt I had absolutely no chance.  One station I did even ask the interviewer to repeat the question multiple times.  But basically, I was in a highly IP contingent, which definitely helped.  I'm not even sure if a clerical error was subsequently made haha.  

To be honest though, the lack of proper French skills has hurt me academically so med school does feel like a mixed blessing.  I'm not as proficient or capable to work in a francophone environment even after two years.  Recently, it seems as if I've been able to improve on OSCEs which has been a positive, but it does feel that I'm working with one arm behind my back and likely more limited career possibilities.  

I too had very bad French skills, did not attend lectures as either the profs spoke too fast for me or they mumbled, in either case I could not understand. I understand where you are coming from but promise you, it does get better - and soon enough you will no longer have one arm tied behind your back. :P 

1 hour ago, Bambi said:

I too had very bad French skills, did not attend lectures as either the profs spoke too fast for me or they mumbled, in either case I could not understand. I understand where you are coming from but promise you, it does get better - and soon enough you will no longer have one arm tied behind your back. :P 

Thanks, Bambi!  I think the feeling runs deeper than only academics, but appreciate the kind and supportive words!  

I'm practicing... it's my first interviews this year. But... I feel like I don't really need to practice. I'm confident and charismatic socially, I'm really nice and think quickly... I just don't feel like the interview will be that bad...

Why take the risk, though... when practicing won't hurt.

But, I'm trying not to stress about it... I think of it like a bunch of topic-specific short conversations with strangers who are kind of trying to mess with me.... go with the flow? :D

8 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

For me, it was more about spending time just thinking about what I have done over the years and how I could relate them potentially in an interview setting. 

But isn't this preparation, and arguably the most important part? If these experiences weren't at the forefront of one's mind, could they have as easily been called upon the limited time frame of the interview? It seems this thread is discussing a specific type of preparation to give structured answers.

50 minutes ago, Lactic Folly said:

But isn't this preparation, and arguably the most important part? If these experiences weren't at the forefront of one's mind, could they have as easily been called upon the limited time frame of the interview? It seems this thread is discussing a specific type of preparation to give structured answers.

Definitely! I agree, that in itself is preparation.

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/01/2018 at 8:11 AM, JohnGrisham said:

Comparatively, this was more or less my strategy - i went to two of those large group student led sessions run at UBC..and it wasn't for me. Read the first chapter of Doing Right and put it away.  For me, it was more about spending time just thinking about what I have done over the years and how I could relate them potentially in an interview setting. 

I know some people had structures, pros and cons etc etc. Perhaps my less structured approach was a refreshing change of pace?  If you've had a lot of experience talking with strangers and being in uncomfortable situations, that longitudinal experience is likely easier to rely on that "intense interview prep". 

But what works for some people, may not work for others. You have to do whatever it is that makes you calm, collected and confident(to an extent). After being a nervous wreck for the first station, the rest of the MMI was quite enjoyable and fun. 

Did you integrate your experiences into your answers as examples? Is that beneficial? It can seem forced if not executed well...

If I didn't mention any examples using myself or my experiences would my interview score suffer?

28 minutes ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

Did you integrate your experiences into your answers as examples? Is that beneficial? It can seem forced if not executed well...

If I didn't mention any examples using myself or my experiences would my interview score suffer?

Your life experiences do not need to be integrated into your answer, rather they are your preparation, your springboard to give answers that will flow from within you. You do not need to give examples of anything from your past.

2 hours ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

I didn't really integrate anything specific, but maybe once or twice by essentially putting myself into the shoes of the station scenario. i.e "I know for me in my life XYZ, so i can see how ABC would be ____."   

No one knows scoring, at the end of the day, you just (easier said than done) need to be calm, collected and articulate. Sometimes concise, but not too consice that it seems like you didnt think things through. 

Archived