Premed 101 Forums

uOttawa Interview 2018 Discussion

18 hours ago, obiwankenobi said:

Does anybody know the post-interview formula this year? 

I don’t know the exact numbers but I remember someone saying the interview is heavily weighted and a little bit of GPA.

I don’t think CASPer, ABS items, or reference letters have any factor at this point. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong

2 hours ago, LUUO said:

Pro-tip for anyone still waiting to be interviewed: Shake their hand, don't attempt a high five.  Also I believe I got my recommended 10,000 steps walking around that table.

Source: Saw a friend try a high five and they gave him the youre-not-getting-in face.

Oh my did you walk circles around the other applicants sitting at the round table? :lol:That kind of anxious energy would've been contagious to me!

10 minutes ago, Eudaimonia said:

Oh my did you walk circles around the other applicants sitting at the round table? :lol:That kind of anxious energy would've been contagious to me!

Only once! Another person did it after me as well. Felt like a classic game of Duck Duck Goose!

So, not so much a specific question, but a general request for emotional support- I inadvertently saw 2 of my interviewers' score sheets during the interview (they'd hold the page in front of their faces to flip the booklet over) and they were giving me pretty much all mediocre scores...which is a letdown in and of itself because apart from one answer, I genuinely thought my answers were solid. I was getting really good feedback from current med students in practice too so I'm not sure where I even went wrong. I'm really disappointed in myself. On the bright side I guess I don't have to wait until May to find out?

11 minutes ago, mew said:

So, not so much a specific question, but a general request for emotional support- I inadvertently saw 2 of my interviewers' score sheets during the interview (they'd hold the page in front of their faces to flip the booklet over) and they were giving me pretty much all mediocre scores...which is a letdown in and of itself because apart from one answer, I genuinely thought my answers were solid. I was getting really good feedback from current med students in practice too so I'm not sure where I even went wrong. I'm really disappointed in myself. On the bright side I guess I don't have to wait until May to find out?

That must've also affected your performance during the interview :( I hope it wasn't the actual score that you briefly glanced at, or that you misunderstand how it is marked. You can't be sure, so you never know about the final results. If what you saw is correct, the waitlist does seem to move a lot. But for now, trust in your preparation and don't lose hope. 

20 minutes ago, mew said:

how do you know they were giving you mediocre scores ? to my knowledge the scores are not given on the spot, but rather after the interview is over they get together to give you a score. i might be mistaken. but i do believe that you are overthinking things and should not be pessimistic about it. if you have had good feedback and felt good about your answers you should be happy over all  and positive! 

1 minute ago, Eudaimonia said:

That must've also affected your performance during the interview :( I hope it wasn't the actual score that you briefly glanced at, or that you misunderstand how it is marked. You can't be sure, so you never know about the final results. If what you saw is correct, the waitlist does seem to move a lot. But for now, trust in your preparation and don't lose hope. 

Just now, karl heider said:

how do you know they were giving you mediocre scores ? to my knowledge the scores are not given on the spot, but rather after the interview is over they get together to give you a score. i might be mistaken. but i do believe that you are overthinking things and should not be pessimistic about it. if you have had good feedback and felt good about your answers you should be happy over all  and positive! 

Each question had a box to write notes in, and then at the bottom of the box they circled a score from 4.0 3.5 3.0 2.5, etc. There were a lot of 3.0s getting circled. I think they assign a final score at the end but that score is informed by the scores received on individual questions. 

1 minute ago, mew said:

Each question had a box to write notes in, and then at the bottom of the box they circled a score from 4.0 3.5 3.0 2.5, etc. There were a lot of 3.0s getting circled. I think they assign a final score at the end but that score is informed by the scores received on individual questions. 

how many questions did you get ? and how many 3.0's ? and tbh what i have seen in this forum is the top 3 brackets are mostly succesfull. if i was in your shoes i would see that as good news ! also you must take into consideration that candidates are different each year. so you might have 10 people in the 4's a few in 3.5 and a big chunk in 3's giving you a crazy good chance to get in without waitlist. keep your hopes up and try to be optimistic, it's very easy to start focusing on the negative aspects of the interview and fall into a hole of pessimism

22 minutes ago, karl heider said:

how many questions did you get ? and how many 3.0's ? and tbh what i have seen in this forum is the top 3 brackets are mostly succesfull. if i was in your shoes i would see that as good news ! also you must take into consideration that candidates are different each year. so you might have 10 people in the 4's a few in 3.5 and a big chunk in 3's giving you a crazy good chance to get in without waitlist. keep your hopes up and try to be optimistic, it's very easy to start focusing on the negative aspects of the interview and fall into a hole of pessimism

I think I had about 7 or 8 questions total. I for sure saw at least 1 2.5 and my answer to my last question was really weak, so I wouldn't be surprised if that one was a 2 or less. I have a really low GPA though so if I'm not in one of those top 2 brackets I think my chances are slim at best. Just bummed about this whole experience.

1 minute ago, mew said:

I think I had about 7 or 8 questions total. I for sure saw at least 1 2.5 and my answer to my last question was really weak, so I wouldn't be surprised if that one was a 2 or less. I have a really low GPA though so if I'm not in one of those top 2 brackets I think my chances are slim at best. Just bummed about this whole experience.

i have a 3.82 gpa, am in the same boat as you if not worse. i completely understand how you feel but the best thing is to keep hope. did you get to see all 3 papers graded ? because as i said before, your total score is discussed after the interview, it's based on how they felt in general about you, and most of the time you can't be a good judge on how they perceive your  answers.

20 hours ago, mew said:

12 minutes ago, Vanderb said:

Hi everyone,

I had my morning interview this week and it didn't go well. I was exhausted from travelling and I had a bad night of sleep. Although I answered everything  and talked as much as possible about myself and personal experiences, I wasn't alert and I had to clarify a couple of questions (I wish I took dark chocolate or coffee before lol). My answers were also quite disorganised and I was repeating myself at times, hopefully content matters more because I was talking my thoughts only (just like Casper aka no structured answers). Also, at one point I interrupted my own answer out of nowhere to drink water because my throat was dry. Anyways, since they were quite heavy on ethical scenarios and role playing, I didn't get the chance to talk about myself as much as I wanted to, in fact I barely had the chance to discuss my interests and passions etc. I left the interview room and almost cried because of this last reason mainly. I need some moral support from fellow uottawa buddies thanks :'(

EDIT : went over the interview time allowed, I was quite slow and honestly my bad night of sleep made me unable to articulate well my thoughts at times. I feel down because I wasn't able to be the amazing person I am due to poor sleep, I can't function with limited sleep. Thanks for the support guys <3

Hey, don't worry too much. I've read people post about candidates so upset of their interview that they indeed did cry  after but got in the first round. Many of us aren't good at judging accurately how we did, and interviewers are also understandable of our nerves. I also had very little personal questions so I don't think they were interested in that. You did your best given the circumstances and now it is beyond your control. Believe in yourself and good luck 

22 minutes ago, Vanderb said:

Hi everyone,

I had my morning interview this week and it didn't go well. I was exhausted from travelling and I had a bad night of sleep. Although I answered everything  and talked as much as possible about myself and personal experiences, I wasn't alert and I had to clarify a couple of questions (I wish I took dark chocolate or coffee before lol). My answers were also quite disorganised and I was repeating myself at times, hopefully content matters more because I was talking my thoughts only (just like Casper aka no structured answers). Also, at one point I interrupted my own answer out of nowhere to drink water because my throat was dry. Anyways, since they were quite heavy on ethical scenarios and role playing, I didn't get the chance to talk about myself as much as I wanted to, in fact I barely had the chance to discuss my interests and passions etc. I left the interview room and almost cried because of this last reason mainly. I need some moral support from fellow uottawa buddies thanks :'(

EDIT : went over the interview time allowed, I was quite slow and honestly my bad night of sleep made me unable to articulate well my thoughts at times. I feel down because I wasn't able to be the amazing person I am due to poor sleep, I can't function with limited sleep. Thanks for the support guys <3

I know how you feel :( my performance was definitely affected by the stress of traveling (flight cancelations and missed connection flights because of delays, giving me labout an hour to get ready and into the mindset) and lack of sleep because of said traveling. I keep going over my answers and it makes me want to cry. This was probably my last chance at uOttawa because of the new requirement for next cycle (I have a D+ for one of my prereqs from 6-7 years ago). I feel like I didn't talk about myself at all and I completely screwed up at least 2 questions. :(

I've been told you can never know how well you did and to not try to analyze your performance. It's done now and all we can do is wait. Good luck :)