Premed 101 Forums

uOttawa Interview 2018 Discussion

3 minutes ago, Neurophilic said:

So after my 9th rejection for this cycle alone, I decided to celebrate with Chinese food and here's what came out of my fortune cookie. The universe is literally trolling me.

DSC_0464.jpg

I feel for you.. I know how it feels, I got 9 rejections last year and have been at it for 6 years overall. This year though, I did get my first invite, lucky enough, it was from my #1 choice. Don't give up, you'll get there and it'll be all worth it on that day where that fortune cookie prophecy will come true.

1 minute ago, SpeedyPotato said:

I feel for you.. I know how it feels, I got 9 rejections last year and have been at it for 6 years overall. This year though, I did get my first invite, lucky enough, it was from my #1 choice. Don't give up, you'll get there and it'll be all worth it on that day where that fortune cookie prophecy will come true.

Thanks buddy. Seems like tenacity is key in this endeavor. I hope everything goes well for you this cycle.

6 minutes ago, Neurophilic said:

So after my 9th rejection for this cycle alone, I decided to celebrate with Chinese food and here's what came out of my fortune cookie. The universe is literally trolling me.

DSC_0464.jpg

Don't let them get at you, we need to be strong! That's what they want. (You can fill in who 'they' are). If not this year, next year! 

4 minutes ago, sowhat said:

nothing in the spam either

Go back to your OMSAS account and make sure you actually paid the fee, and make sure you selected Ottawa as the recipient under CASPer.

I forgot to pay the fee last year and didn’t even get my application seen by Ottawa lol

Just now, FatherFranklin said:

Go back to your OMSAS account and make sure you actually paid the fee, and make sure you selected Ottawa as the recipient under CASPer.

I forgot to pay the fee last year and didn’t even get my application seen by Ottawa lol

Paid and Received a confirmation email from uOttawa back in October that they received my full application and waiting my Casper (which I did later), the only thing I could think of is that I'm a PhD student in my final year...could they have put PhD students in a different pool? although they say on the website that we are treated exactly like undergrads...

Did any PhD student hear back?

18 minutes ago, Neurophilic said:

Haha. Well I've got no choice. On to the rest of the schools. Hopefully I'll get some love from my top choice Queen's. Any luck for you?

One interview with my top choice  - and I have been going at this for 3 years... The process is brutal 

4 minutes ago, sowhat said:

Paid and Received a confirmation email from uOttawa back in October that they received my full application and waiting my Casper (which I did later), the only thing I could think of is that I'm a PhD student in my final year...could they have put PhD students in a different pool? although they say on the website that we are treated exactly like undergrads...

Did any PhD student hear back?

I'm in the same boat. Got confirmation from uOttawa way back and checked to make sure Casper was confirmed. Nothing in spam either :|. 

12 minutes ago, FatherFranklin said:

Ouch..... you think they would warn you about that somehow etc. 

42 minutes ago, Neurophilic said:

DSC_0464.jpg

first of all ha (and like all great fortunes it doesn't say what exactly you are chosen for - making it ambiguous)

second with that kind of persistence I am really hoping it works out in the end! 

Just now, Peakapuff said:

Yeah...at this point I'm just wondering if it's a technical problem of if they're just not caring about remaining rejects... though some people got rejected very early so it seems like it's more or less randomized

I mean if they are going to send out rejections - assuming that is what has failed - then they would do it for all. Ottawa has always cared about notifying everyone - and if for only practical selfish reasons they know that anyone not notified would just end up calling - flooding the office for ages. 

Invite/Rejection: Rejection 
Time Stamp: 29/01/2018 - 6:45PM
Stream: English
wGPA: 3.92
Current year: UG completed
ECs: Hospital and athletic event volunteering, research at two teaching hospitals in Toronto, and some unique life experiences. Always could do more.

Casper: I thought it went well given that I received an interview at Dal. However, I was rejected by Mac and Ottawa. 

Staying positive and rolling with the punches. 

13 minutes ago, Yeeewww said:

Invite/Rejection: Rejection 
Time Stamp: 29/01/2018 - 6:45PM
Stream: English
wGPA: 3.92
Current year: UG completed
ECs: Hospital and athletic event volunteering, research at two teaching hospitals in Toronto, and some unique life experiences. Always could do more.

Casper: I thought it went well given that I received an interview at Dal. However, I was rejected by Mac and Ottawa. 

Staying positive and rolling with the punches. 

FYI the cut off for Dal is really, really low. 

10 hours ago, SpeedyPotato said:

How have you kept at this for 6 years? Glad to hear you have an interview from your first choice.

13 minutes ago, JohnnyEnglish said:

How have you kept at this for 6 years? Glad to hear you have an interview from your first choice.

Well I came a long way.. my first bachelor's degree was classical music so I had to do a lot to get where I am today, but I chose to do things that interested me and kept me going while I was building my application piece by piece. I guess I am also very stubborn haha :) 6 years is nothing compared to doing what I want for the rest of my life, plus I now have invaluable experience which will eventually make a better physician once I get there!

• Leon pinned this topic