Premed 101 Forums

MedCoach

MEDusa

Oh wow. That being said, that's CaPS, not the faculty, nor "McGill" really. I suppose they are entitled to their opinion...Having seen what MedCoach is about I believe they are absolutely useless and no point in investing $ in them. I personally think they are not worth it at all. Their videos/scenarios are overly simplistic, the advice is average to downright terrible...

13 minutes ago, SunAndMoon said:

Oh wow. That being said, that's CaPS, not the faculty, nor "McGill" really. I suppose they are entitled to their opinion...Having seen what MedCoach is about I believe they are absolutely useless and no point in investing $ in them. I personally think they are not worth it at all. Their videos/scenarios are overly simplistic, the advice is average to downright terrible...

Thank you. What would you suggest? Group practices ? 

Yes! Practice with friends who are applying/in med and give each other feedback (with regards to content, structure, communication style).  There is no paid online resource that will give you any real advantage IMO.

If you go to McGill, I heard CaPS actually organizes mock MMIs which I was told were fairly good. 

I don't know why, but CaPS stopped their mock MMI sessions this year.  

Another practice that many suggest is to record yourself or practice in front of the mirror. this way you can work on your eye-contact, facial expression etc. Also, if you record yourself, you can rewatch it and see how "convincing" you are in your answer! 

best of luck :)

16 hours ago, chinkare said:

I don't know why, but CaPS stopped their mock MMI sessions this year.  

Another practice that many suggest is to record yourself or practice in front of the mirror. this way you can work on your eye-contact, facial expression etc. Also, if you record yourself, you can rewatch it and see how "convincing" you are in your answer! 

best of luck :)

Thank you :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 1/31/2018 at 3:24 PM, t0ny said:

Its much better to practice with a SMALL group of people (2-3 max) before investing into a company. QUANTITY of prep is much better for you with regards to MMI to get comfortable with the scenarios.

I absolutely agree. The ideal situation would be to get a small group of friends to run a mock MMI (you can come up with your own scenarios based on the CANMEDs roles or use mock stations that are available online). Focus on seeing how comfortable you are answering questions on the spot and how you feel when someone challenges you. At the end of the day, you have to be comfortable selling yourself!

Archived