Premed 101 Forums

Role play/Acting station

Lmed31

Hey everyone!

I'm wondering if anyone has an idea around what the goal of the acting station is? I understand it's to be understanding, nonjudgmental, empathetic, etc. 

I also understand we have to follow the instructions, but what if we run out of time before we can do it (i.e. fire someone, etc)?

I was told by a current medical student that they think the most important part is to be understanding and empathetic/support the actor, but not stress about rushing to fire or punish the (or deliver the consequences, etc)

Thoughts from anyone?

Instead of stating how you would deal with a specific problem or situation, you are demonstrating your actions and reactions in a simulated situation with an actor. You will be demonstrating your critical and problem solving skills by your ethical and understanding response in real time so to speak. You will not run out of time and will be judged by your empathetic, communication skills and your ability to help the other person cope with the situation. The dynamics between you both and your thoughtful, kind words will give insight as to how you will deal with real life stressful situations where your sage advice is required. You will want to show sensitivity to the person and to his/her emotional and other vulnerabilities as you intently listen, digest and respond. As physician, you will be interacting with colleagues, other health professionals, patients, their families, the public, etc. in a multitude of situations and your interactions with others, your ability to effectively communicate, to effective listen to others before reacting, by your words and body language will be a crucial aspect of your success as a professional.   

5 minutes ago, Bambi said:

Instead of stating how you would deal with a specific problem or situation, you are demonstrating your actions and reactions in a simulated situation with an actor. You will be demonstrating your critical and problem solving skills by your ethical and understanding response in real time so to speak. You will not run out of time and will be judged by your empathetic, communication skills and your ability to help the other person cope with the situation. The dynamics between you both and your thoughtful, kind words will give insight as to how you will deal with real life stressful situations where your sage advice is required. You will want to show sensitivity to the person and to his/her emotional and other vulnerabilities as you intently listen, digest and respond. As physician, you will be interacting with colleagues, other health professionals, patients, their families, the public, etc. in a multitude of situations and your interactions with others, your ability to effectively communicate, to effective listen to others before reacting, by your words and body language will be a crucial aspect of your success as a professional.   

Thanks for your reply Bambi!

When I said "running out of time", what I meant is..while being engaged in the conversation with the actor, I tend to spend time on finding out their story and seeing if there's other ways to help the person. However, if the instructions are to fire the person or discipline them in a certain way, I find that sometimes I'm not able to get to that point because I've spent time on trying to hear their story.

Completing the action, if they give you a specific one, is pretty important. 

Your example of giving bad news, like firing someone, is a really good one. Many people can be kind and considerate to someone in a conversation. But the skills that admissions would be trying to get at with that kind of scenario in an mmi is whether or not you can be kind and compassionate etc. while ALSO doing something challenging that may make you uncomfortable. If you just have the nice supportive conversation without ever actually delivering the bad news, you’ve missed that aspect of what they’re trying to test.

10 hours ago, Lmed31 said:

Thanks for your reply Bambi!

When I said "running out of time", what I meant is..while being engaged in the conversation with the actor, I tend to spend time on finding out their story and seeing if there's other ways to help the person. However, if the instructions are to fire the person or discipline them in a certain way, I find that sometimes I'm not able to get to that point because I've spent time on trying to hear their story.

If the instructions are to fire the person, then fire the person you must. You can also be supportive to the person's expressed misery as a result by counselling the person how to seek other employment.

4 hours ago, Bambi said:

If the instructions are to fire the person, then fire the person you must. You can also be supportive to the person's expressed misery as a result by counselling the person how to seek other employment.

Agreed. Real world setting people get into the topic fairly quickly, and then the discussion is afterward. That, or the person becomes irate and you deal with that.

2 hours ago, IMislove said:

Agreed. Real world setting people get into the topic fairly quickly, and then the discussion is afterward. That, or the person becomes irate and you deal with that.

If irate, you listen, you show understanding my reflecting the feelings shown, you console and give advice re moving forward, using energies productively in his/her best interests. You are demonstrating your communication & thinking skills, with empathy, dealing with potential real life situations, which is what this station is all about.  

On 2018-01-20 at 11:48 AM, Bambi said:

If irate, you listen, you show understanding my reflecting the feelings shown, you console and give advice re moving forward, using energies productively in his/her best interests. You are demonstrating your communication & thinking skills, with empathy, dealing with potential real life situations, which is what this station is all about.  

Exactly. 

Archived