Calgary Interview Invites/Regrets 2018

Please post only invites/regrets. 
Follow this format:

TIME STAMP: January 19 10:XX AM MST
Interview Date: TBA
Result: Invite!
wGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 123 CARS!!!
ECs: above average, but not anything outstanding (no pubs). I believe it was the way I wrote my Top 10 and got my points across. Pm me for more details. 
Year: BSc complete 
Geography : IP

I specifically wanted to post my stats so applicants don’t feel discouraged to apply with a very low CARS score.

TIME STAMP: January 19
wGPA: 3.8x
MCAT: 128 CARS
ECs: Diverse and varied, short and long-term, community and independent. Lots of work and volunteering, some but probably below average research experience. PM me for details if you'd like!
Year: BSc complete 
Geography : Non-Albertan (OOP)

TIME STAMP: January 19 10:28 AM
Interview Date: TBD
wGPA: 3.97
MCAT: 127 CARS
ECs: Lots of varied activities (some personal) and several long-term ones for Top 10. Lots of research (although no pubs.)
Year: 4th Year BSc.

For anybody looking at these forums for advice or an idea of how to approach applications in the upcoming cycles, all I would say is for you to make sure your top 10's mean something to you. It seems like a trivial piece of advice, but I'm convinced that you must really tell the school WHY it means something to you. What skills did you gain? Did you gain any insights which will help your development as an ethical, moral, and understanding person? Goodluck!

TIME STAMP: January 21 10:30 PM MST
Interview Date: N/A
Result: Regrets
wGPA: 3.83
MCAT: 128 (511 Total)
ECs: Above average (Captain of varsity team, ER trauma team shadowing-2 yrs, AHS OR Job, Tutoring, Autism Mentoring ect..)
Year: 3rd yr undergrad  

Not really sure where I went wrong here, may have been because I haven't finished a bachelor and my age (20) 

TIME STAMP: January 19 10:36 AM MST
Interview Date: TBA
Result: Regrets
wGPA: 3.92
MCAT: 126 CARS
ECs: Average I think, hard to say. Mix of meaningful experiences and life events, volunteering, and academic experiences. Had publications and 2 summers of research, several academic awards, and 2 pretty good jobs (coaching for 3 years, coordinator of a program for kids with special needs) 
Year: 4th Year BSc 

This was my first time applying to UofC so I likely need to work on writing those Top 10s. CARS is low too, was hoping my ECs would make up for that!

TIME STAMP: January 19 10:36 AM MST
Interview Date: February 25th 12:30pm
wGPA: 3.87
MCAT: 127 CARS
ECs: I have a wide range of ECs.  Multiple long-term volunteer positions, several of which I held leadership roles at. A couple of mentorship positions (one where I was the mentor, one where I was the mentee). 20 years playing classical piano and 15 years singing training and performing in choirs. VP in a club on campus at U of C. International volunteer trips that included group fundraising. Lots of travelling. No publications. Two jobs related to leadership in healthcare (plus a history of jobs working in medical clinics).
Year: BSc (honours) complete, MSc Immunology (Thesis-based) in progress. I applied to the LIM program.

This is my third time applying to U of C and my first interview, persistence is key :)

Hi everyone, late to the game here!

TIME STAMP: January 19 9:14 AM MST
Interview Date: February 24
Result: Invite
wGPA: 3.51 (yes, really)
MCAT: 128 CARS
ECs: Standard research, volunteering, leadership etc.
Year: 5th year BSc

All I can say is that I've spent the last week in complete shock that I actually got an invite. I thought with my extremely low wGPA that there was no chance in the world. For anyone with low stats feeling a bit hopeless about applications - don't give up!! Do everything you can to improve your stats, and beyond that use the rest of your application to your advantage

Archived