Premed 101 Forums

NSERC USRA advice re: courses

nerframp

Hi all,

I want to get some advice about a situation I'm having. I want to stay as anonymous as possible here so I'm going to omit some details. I applied for an NSERC USRA for this current semester and received it, however I'm just realizing now that my transcripts only show me taking 1 course this semester (which is allowed by NSERC) when I'm actually taking an additional course from a different university online this semester. This online course is a self-study course with no defined end date or due dates, so I was just going to complete it on the weekends since it's mostly just reading a textbook and writing some essays. But because I started it in this semester it will show up on my transcripts as taken this semester, so conceivably, I could end up with a transcript showing two courses this semester, which might not be allowed by NSERC. I just realized this today after accepting the USRA last week. So my question is, do I: 

a ) not make a big deal out of it, go on my way with studying on weekends and hopefully they won't see my transcript at the end of April, put 2 and 2 together and cancel my award at the end (or even retroactively);

b ) tell my supervisor up front and risk losing the award immediately, disappointing my supervisor and leaving myself in a difficult spot financially. 

Thoughts and advice very much appreciated! I'm not even sure how seriously NSERC takes that requirement, it's not part of any of the eligibility criteria I can see, it's just in one of the FAQs that you should only have max 1 course as well as the USRA.

Archived