Premed 101 Forums

UofT Interview Invites/Regrets 2018

Not to sound rude, but the previous interview invite thread for UoT was already deleted because of people posting things other than their invite or regret. 

For the benefit of people this year, and for future applicants looking to see when people received invites, can we please keep this strictly about invites/regrets and save your questions for other threads?

• Leon pinned this topic

TIME STAMP: Feb 9 @ 12:24 pm 

Interview Date: March 3 (MD) 

Result: Invite 

cGPA: 3.96; wGPA: 3.99 

MCAT: 514 (met cutoffs in each section) 

ECs: good  (look at previous posts for more info or message me)  

Essays: worked very hard on them; tried to make them interesting and creative, while using personal anecdotes; edited by friends and students 

Year: 4th year UG 

Geography: IP 

TIME STAMP: Feb 9 @ 10:16 AM (MST) 

Interview Date: March 4 (MD), trying to reschuelde due to conflict :(

Result: Invite!

cGPA, wGPA: 3.93, 3.96

MCAT: 517 (131/125/131/130)

ECs: Coaching, research (no pubs), various volunteering and athletics

Essays: Honestly I woke up at 4 am and did them till the deadline haha but I felt they were still strong and well constructed.

References: Really strong, I’ve developed really strong relationships with them over the years and kept in touch! 

Year: Completed BSc.

Geography: OOP

Super excited, I feel blessed, good luck to everyone and hope to meet some of you there!

TIME STAMP: Feb 9 @ 12.24 pm

Interview Date: March 3 (MD)

cGPA: 4.0

MCAT: 526

ECs: Mediocre to average I'd say, although meaningful to me. No publications but considerable time in research labs. A good amount of sports although nothing "professional". A few unique experiences but nothing that would blow someone away. I wrote the descriptions in a more playful way, emphasizing what I got out of the experiences rather than the experience itself.

Essays: At least average, maybe better, idk tbh. Wrote 3 the morning it was due, 3 the day before, and 1 the day before that. Didn't get them checked by anyone, although I did have someone proofread them and let me know if there was any red flags, but I didn't revise them. Wrote them from the heart. I knew everyone would just be trying to hit the 4 clusters so I tried to actually answer the prompts for the 4 personal essays (e.g. I wrote the letter to the editor like an actual letter to the editor, while I suspect most others just used it as a proxy to hit the clusters and showcase personal anecdotes), although I obviously still had the clusters in mind. For the 3 ABS essays I really just wrote from the heart. The 1 person who I had read my essays said they were easy, natural and enjoyable to read which I credit to not revising too much. I should mention that I'm generally a good writer (especially when I'm waking up at 3am to write like a did. There's something about the peace of early morning and the panic of procrastination that makes my writing better lol. I hear most authors are procrastinators so there might be something to that.)

Letters of Reference: I believe I had strong letters because, although I'm not a social butterfly, I made some strong connections with my referees. I made sure to make it clear to them which clusters I wanted each of them to hit. They all knew me well, and I got to know them well, and they really wanted me to succeed. I kinda hope UofT will call them because I know they'll enthusiastically support me. 

Year: 3rd Year UG

I'm really happy to have received this invite because UofT was always my number 1 choice. It's funny because I thought I had much better chances at other med schools given my numbers but I got rejected from everywhere but UofT, which I thought I had the least chance at given my lack of research pubs and average ABS overall. I'm guessing UofT really does weight letters heavily and that my letters were actually good as I suspected because that's the only explanation lol. 

TIME STAMP: Feb 9, 12:16 pm

Interview Date: March 4 (MD)

cGPA: 3.93

MCAT: above cut off

ECs: 2 summers working full-time in 2 different labs (one of them was supported by a faculty wide scholarship). National first place winner at Canadian Music Competition during university and national finalist during highschool . Full scholarship to attend a summer music training program in the US. Tons of ensemble/orchestral/band performance activities and music education related volunteering. Hospital volunteering with sick children for a year (>100 hours). Founded a weightlifting/powerlifting club at university. Did debate and model UN and won some awards for that too. I think overall it's pretty varied and showed a lot of commitment to my interests. 

Essays: Spent a week working on it with several major revisions after getting some friends to read them. Don't think I talked anything about leadership in my essays though. Otherwise I think it's pretty genuine and reflected my strengths. 

Letters of Reference: One really strong. One is from a prof that I'm going to get a 3rd author pub from so I think it should be decent? One is from volunteer supervisor at hospital and we are on friendly working terms. She is very supportive of my MD pursuit and talks to me about it during volunteering so I think it should also be decent if not good.

Year: 4th Year Undergrad

First choice and only invite. Didn't take Casper seriously and lost out on Mac and Ottawa. At least this interview feels more precious this way which compels me to actually practice for the interview.

TIME STAMP: Feb 9, 12:48 pm

Interview Date: March 4 (MD)

cGPA: 4.00

MCAT: 131/132/131/130

ECs: Played 3+ years for UofT basketball team. Volunteered for a homeless shelter for 1000+ hours. Founded an international women's health conference. Won multiple awards for academic and athletic excellence (NSERCx2). 5 publications related to sports medicine. 

Essays: Spent 3 hours working on them while on the bus. My older brother who is already in med looked it over for me twice.

Letters of Reference: From my coach, prof, and supervisor. They have nothing but good things to say about me, so I know I'm set there.

Year: 4th Year Undergrad

First and only choice. I applied to just UofT and I'm going there no matter what!

TIME STAMP: Feb 13 @ 4:28pm

Interview Date: March 3 (MD)

cGPA: 3.98 wGPA: 4.00 

MCAT: 128/127/129/130 (514)

ECs: Research in neuroscience/psych for 3+ years, 3 NSERC USRA (no pubs lol, but a conference), work in public health and in the not for profit sector, executive positions on student clubs, human rights and equity related student groups, lots of community volunteer work, lots of hospital volunteering, shadowed multiple surgeons, plenty of visual arts related activities, no sports lol. Pretty vanilla, I didn't have 48 submissions. 

Essays: Started thinking about them around 3 weeks before and wrote them around a week before the deadline. Honestly, I thought I should have incorporated more personal experiences, but I tried to be creative with them and spoke from the heart. I got my English major friend and another friend applying to edit them, had the shock of my life when I came across a typo after submission haha. 

Year: 4th Year UG

References: I was a bit concerned because one of my references was from a professor who did not know me that well, but the other two were strong. 

U of T is my first invite after a storm of rejections. I am beyond grateful for the opportunity! I stalked these forums neurotically, and I know how stressful this whole process can get. Hard work and dedication pays off so please do not lose hope! 

TIME STAMP: Feb 13 @ 1:32pm

Interview Date: March 4 (MD)

wGPA: 3.95, cGPA: 3.7 ish (messed around too much in first year and got an F lol)

MCAT: met cutoffs (barely CARS)

ECs: A lot of community service (more than 5000 hours) high level athlete until University, many leadership positions outside of school, medical mission in Ethiopia, long term pharmaceutical research coordinator (but NO PUBS)    

Essays: wrote them a couple nights before, had my friend look at them. Thought they were meh, but connected to my life a lot

Year: Graduated May 2017

Was so close to accepting my invite from Wayne State, this is my dream school and I'm gunna celebrate the hell out of this no matter what happens.

Sorry I'm late to posting, but for reference:

TIME STAMP: Jan 30 @ 2:38pm

Interview Date: March 3 (MD)

wGPA: Not sure, probably between 3.84 and 3.87

MCAT: 517

ECs: 3 years research, 1 first author pub, directed a non-profit for a few years, counselled youth, music

Essays: Probably pretty good given my relatively low GPA?

TIME STAMP: Feb 14 @ 3:23 pm

Interview Date: March 4 (MD)

cGPA: 3.97, wGPA: 4.00

MCAT: 511 (met cutoffs)

ECs:  Some summer research (no pubs), president of a research club, lots of academic awards, message me if you are interested in more details.

Essays: wrote them super last minute and didn't get them checked. However, I felt that they were very personal and well written. 

• 2 weeks later...

Time stamp: 3:42pm

Interview Date: March 24 (MD)

wGPA: 3.96

MCAT: 520 

EC: working with youth exceptionalities, camp counselor, hospital volunteering, community health clinic volunteering, volunteering with a stroke recovery group, peer mentor, skating coach, intramural sports, NO research!!

Essays: I put a fair amount of effort into them, in my opinion well written with good ideas, had a few people look over them

Year: final year UG

Incredibly grateful and happy!!!!!!!

Time stamp: 2:41pm

Interview Date: March 24 (MD)

wGPA: 4.0

MCAT: met cutoffs 

EC: camp counselling, vice president of a few clubs, lots of volunteering (hospitals, community), not much research (no pubs)

Essays: put a good bit of time into them, got family to look over as well

Year: final year UG

Stoked to be interviewing at UofT!