Premed 101 Forums

Western Interview Invites/Regrets 2018

Time Stamp: 4:01 January 25th 

Invite: Invite

IP/OOP: IP

SWOMEN: No

2YGPA: 4.00

MCAT: C/P 132; CARS 132; B/B 132 (396/528 total)

Question: is signup for the interviews NOT first come first serve? Ideally I'd like to wait until I hear back from Ottawa/Queen's on Monday so that I can schedule everything - I can't be in 2 places at once, and while I could do Mac and Western in a weekend, there's no way I could do Ottawa or Queens and Mac/Western in a single weekend. The fact that it's saying to rank my top 5 choices, and doesn't seem to be showing any full spots suggests that there is no benefit to signing up faster - is that true?

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Comprehensible said:

Time Stamp: 4:01 January 25th 

Invite: Invite

IP/OOP: IP

SWOMEN: No

2YGPA: 4.00

MCAT: C/P 132; CARS 132; B/B 132 (396/528 total)

Question: is signup for the interviews NOT first come first serve? Ideally I'd like to wait until I hear back from Ottawa/Queen's on Monday so that I can schedule everything - I can't be in 2 places at once, and while I could do Mac and Western in a weekend, there's no way I could do Ottawa or Queens and Mac/Western in a single weekend. The fact that it's saying to rank my top 5 choices, and doesn't seem to be showing any full spots suggests that there is no benefit to signing up faster - is that true?

Thanks!

According to the e-mail, you can change your selected date up until February 1st. I selected my top 5 choices right now, however once other invites come in, I will likely change them accordingly. Also interview dates aren't assigned until February 2nd anyways so none of the spots can be full right now. I just filled mine out right now just in case it was first come first serve.

1 minute ago, Blasé said:

According to the e-mail, you can change your selected dated up until February 1st. I selected my top 5 choices right now, however once other invites come in, you could probably change them accordingly.

It says

"You have until 4:00 PM EST on Thursday February 1st   to log in and choose your preferences. You should receive an email on Friday February 2nd indicating the day and time of your interview as assigned through a computer-generated matching system based on your choices. At 3:00 PM EST on Friday February 2nd   the website will reopen and, should you wish to change your interview date/time, you will have until 4:00 PM EST on Tuesday February 6th to log in and make a change through the add/drop process if an opening is available."

That suggests to me you can only change it after February 2nd. But I missed the part about the computer generated matching system - I think it's probably OK to wait as long as I don't forget to register on Monday.

Thanks!

33 minutes ago, obiwankenobi said:

So Psych is not considered this year?

Typical Western thing to do. AAMC removes the writing sample, Western decides its going to introduce a writing portion to its interviews. AAMC adds a new section to the MCAT, Western decides "screw that let's just evaluate on the three sections most similar to the old MCAT".

31 minutes ago, Neurophilic said:

Typical Western thing to do. AAMC removes the writing sample, Western decides its going to introduce a writing portion to its interviews. AAMC adds a new section to the MCAT, Western decides "screw that let's just evaluate on the three sections most similar to the old MCAT".

The worst part is that they made it seem like Psych would be considered this year - people who met the cutoff but with <127 scores in Psych may have went through the unnecessary stress re-writing this to bump up their Psych, only to find out it doesn't matter.

3 minutes ago, Livinalberta said:

Time stamp: 3:22 pm Mountain Standard Time

Invite: No

OOP

2YGPA: 3.86   I think?  OMSAS might be different than Alberta GPA calculation

MCAT: 518 (missed the CARS cutoff by a point!)

All the best to the invited!  Good luck.  :)

I know the feels! 

Time: 3:05 PST

Invite: No

OOP

2YGPA: 3.81

MCAT: 131/128/132 ... Rewrote it to try and get to 129 but still couldnt. I guess I was never destined for Western. 

• Leon pinned this topic