Premed 101 Forums

Western Interview Invites/Regrets 2018

14 minutes ago, Optimistlife said:

For those who were accepted, would you mind sharing the extracurriculars you were involved in - i’ll be applying next year and would like to get an idea. I can PM you if that is more comfortable:)! thank you! 

Western doesn't consider extracurricular activities from your application. It likely only matters for discussion in the interview. 

19 hours ago, naama said:

Western doesn't consider extracurricular activities from your application. It likely only matters for discussion in the interview. 

Okay thank you! it’s a little odd though because on their website it says they look for “all-rounded” students so i thought they strongly weigh extracurriculars! Thanks though! :) 

11 minutes ago, Optimistlife said:

Okay thank you! it’s a little odd though because on their website it says they look for “all-rounded” students so i thought they strongly weigh extracurriculars! Thanks though! :) 

I will again point out the interview as a means of evaluating for a lot of that :)

Edited by rmorelan

• 2 weeks later...

Received a regret this cycle because one of my two best years (GPA 3.87) had only 29 credits. I am graduating this year, and am contemplating taking a fifth "special year" with 30 undergraduate credits, so that I will have two best years that qualify me for an interview in the September 2018 cycle. Does anybody know whether the 3/5 rule applies to the "special year"? In other words, do I need to take at least 3 courses at or above level 5? Or can I take all level 3 or 4 courses and still qualify for the GPA calculation? Thanks

33 minutes ago, medabe said:

Received a regret this cycle because one of my two best years (GPA 3.87) had only 29 credits. I am graduating this year, and am contemplating taking a fifth "special year" with 30 undergraduate credits, so that I will have two best years that qualify me for an interview in the September 2018 cycle. Does anybody know whether the 3/5 rule applies to the "special year"? In other words, do I need to take at least 3 courses at or above level 5? Or can I take all level 3 or 4 courses and still qualify for the GPA calculation? Thanks

Sorry to hear that. Definitely do the 5th year to fulfill that requirement. When I asked (1 or 2 years ago) 3/5 rule applies to 5th year. That means if you take all 3 or 4th year level courses will make it qualified for GPA calculation. That is my understanding but e-mail them and have the e-mailed response as documentation in case something goes awry during your application cycle.

Good luck!

26 minutes ago, plastics91 said:

Sorry to hear that. Definitely do the 5th year to fulfill that requirement. When I asked (1 or 2 years ago) 3/5 rule applies to 5th year. That means if you take all 3 or 4th year level courses will make it qualified for GPA calculation. That is my understanding but e-mail them and have the e-mailed response as documentation in case something goes awry during your application cycle.

Good luck!

for a 5th year yes it applies :) That is a year taken as a part of your regular program, were you haven't graduated yet.

A special year though is "special" it has a different set of rules. It is post graduation and you are allowed only one (you could in theory have a 6th year for instance but only one special year).

https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/medicine/undergraduate/future_students/faq.html

Applicants who have earned a degree from a recognized North American university, may elect to continue in full-time undergraduate studies (a so-called special year) so that their academic standing may be improved for application to medical school. Applicants must already have one undergraduate year that meets the GPA cutoff, and only the first special year taken by the applicant will be considered for determination of GPA. A special year will only be considered if it contains five full or equivalent courses (30 credit hours) taken between September and April. First-year courses, repeat/antirequisite courses, and second-year courses that do not require a first-year prerequisite are not acceptable in the special year.

that is a different set of rules. We often seem to say 5th year and special year as the same thing but this is one area I try to be as precise as possible with as if you mix them up you are in trouble (if you do a 5th year but follow special year rules it could easily be useless, and similarly the other way as well).

1 minute ago, rmorelan said:

for a 5th year yes it applies :) That is a year taken as a part of your regular program, were you haven't graduated yet.

A special year though is "special" it has a different set of rules. It is post graduation and you are allowed only one (you could in theory have a 6th year for instance but only one special year).

https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/medicine/undergraduate/future_students/faq.html

Applicants who have earned a degree from a recognized North American university, may elect to continue in full-time undergraduate studies (a so-called special year) so that their academic standing may be improved for application to medical school. Applicants must already have one undergraduate year that meets the GPA cutoff, and only the first special year taken by the applicant will be considered for determination of GPA. A special year will only be considered if it contains five full or equivalent courses (30 credit hours) taken between September and April. First-year courses, repeat/antirequisite courses, and second-year courses that do not require a first-year prerequisite are not acceptable in the special year.

that is a different set of rules. We often seem to say 5th year and special year as the same thing but this is one area I try to be as precise as possible with as if you mix them up you are in trouble (if you do a 5th year but follow special year rules it could easily be useless, and similarly the other way as well).

Thanks for the input. The reason I am confused is that Western's website gives rules in 2 separate paragraphs - "Degree requirements" and "GPA". If you read both paragraphs together, it seems like the 3/5 rule applies to the "special year". I just don't want to be wrong again!!

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 10.06.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 10.06.56 AM.png

2 hours ago, medabe said:

Thanks for the input. The reason I am confused is that Western's website gives rules in 2 separate paragraphs - "Degree requirements" and "GPA". If you read both paragraphs together, it seems like the 3/5 rule applies to the "special year". I just don't want to be wrong again!!

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 10.06.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 10.06.56 AM.png

sure - your fear is logical, it is what keeps us safe :)

In the past they seem to have keep them separate but the wording as you rightly point out is a bit confusing. It is critical that you clarify with the source (the office itself) because even if last year it was one way it may have changed. Worse website often move out of sync with policy no matter how well they try to keep up with things. 

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, varank said:

Just curious, does Western look at ECs? I know Mac doesn’t so I was wondering if it was the same here.

I don't think so, just a combination of MCAT and GPA. If you meet both requirements of that cycle, you will get an interview 

The reason I am saying this is because I believe in the rejection in email it says to contact them if you have met the requirements of the current year

5 minutes ago, Vendar said:

I don't think so, just a combination of MCAT and GPA. If you meet both requirements of that cycle, you will get an interview 

The reason I am saying this is because I believe in the rejection in email it says to contact them if you have met the requirements of the current year

True, that makes sense. But I think more than anything, your GPA is the main reason you get in, however they seem to be more lenient then others so that’s good to see.

On 3/27/2018 at 9:27 PM, healthscireject said:

I'm a SWOMEN candidate with a 132 129 132 132 MCAT and a 4.0 GPA (best 2 years). Am I essentially guaranteed an interview at Western next cycle? Or is there some other element of my application that is also considered?

If you meet their course load/degree requirements, you're golden. 

As long you don't say something ridiculous, offensive, threatening (ie assault) or unethical to your interviewers, you are looking great with those numbers and SWOMEN status. Your odds of acceptance are super high so don't worry lol...Just don't mess up your interview. 

3 hours ago, healthscireject said:

I'm a SWOMEN candidate with a 132 129 132 132 MCAT and a 4.0 GPA (best 2 years). Am I essentially guaranteed an interview at Western next cycle? Or is there some other element of my application that is also considered?

As long as you satisfy course load requirements (3/5 rule, 10 courses from September-April), you're guaranteed an interview, and unless you bomb your interview, pretty much guaranteed a spot. 

19 hours ago, jr2 said:

If you meet their course load/degree requirements, you're golden. 

As long you don't assault your interviewers, you are basically guaranteed an acceptance with those numbers and SWOMEN status, lol.   

Yes, I do meet the course load/degree requirements. 

Are the MCAT and GPA factored into admission decisions after the interview? Becuase if I perform average-ly on the interview, I still may not get in right? (Same question for @tavenan)

25 minutes ago, healthscireject said:

Yes, I do meet the course load/degree requirements. 

Are the MCAT and GPA factored into admission decisions after the interview? Becuase if I perform average-ly on the interview, I still may not get in right? (Same question for @tavenan)

If you look up the SWOMEN info for the last few years, SWOMEN admission rates have been super high post interview - that's probably what they're referring to