Premed 101 Forums

Ottawa 2018 Interview Invites/Rejections

Reject!
Time Stamp: 6:50pm EST
Stream: English
wGPA: 3.90
Current year: 4th year, B.Sc (Honours)
ECs: Pretty good I think. Lots of research, volunteering, and health-related jobs. Almost 8 years volunteering in my local hospital. I've worked with a child with autism for years. Lots of cancer, and health-related research. 

Casper: Thought it went ok!? It was good enough to receive an interview invite at Dalhousie.

Good luck to all xx! I've interviewed at Memorial and Dalhousie - should be finding out within the month or so - wish me luck!!! 

Invite
Time Stamp: 6:27 PM
Stream: English
wGPA: 3.95
Current year: 4th year UG
ECs: Pretty average I think? 3 years research- 1 pub (2nd author) + 2 posters, tutoring (paid & volunteer), summer camp counsellor, performance background (dance, music... PM for details if you like)

CASPer: I didn't think it was stellar, but I got a Mac invite

Invite!
Time Stamp: 29/01/2018 6:27pm 
wGPA: 3.96 ish
Current year: Graduated
ECs: Some Research (NSERC), posters, presentations. Intramural Sports, working with kids. Some long term hobbies ( music, sports) . Volunteering with some non-profits.

Casper:  I thought  I did okay, not great by any means.

Really thankful for the opportunity, and heads up you guys- regardless of what you heard from ottawa today. 

Like this

lol I guess I'll be the first reject......

Invite/Rejection: reject 
Time Stamp: 6:47
Stream: english
wGPA: 3.93
Current year: 1 year post-op
ECs: I thought pretty decent, really varied, a lot of awards and case competitions 

Casper: I answered everything, but not well I don't think

...put all my eggs in Ottawa since I haven't attempted the MCAT yet so I'm a bit gutted, but maybe this worked out for the best, who knows 

Invite/Rejection: reject 
Time Stamp: 4:06 PST
wGPA: 3.82
Current year: BSc (Hons) 2017
ECs: Lots of random things, short term, many many years of work exp, but not so much volunteering... Clearly not enough to offset the wGPA. 

Casper: Felt alright, but wasn't enough for mac with a 128 CARS either so... 

I wasn't surprised... Just clicked an extra checkbox to apply to Ottawa since I was already writing Casper for Mac... 

Invite
Time Stamp: 29/01/2018 6:14pm 
wGPA: 3.97
Current year: 1 year out of undergrad
ECs: NSERC USRA, some other research presentations and posters. Lots of music clubs, jazz band, and started two recreational university clubs during undergrad. 

Casper: Thought it went decent. Nothing extraordinary, but I was comfortable with the time limit and happy with my responses.

REJECT
Time Stamp: 29/01/2018 6:48pm 
wGPA: 3.91
Current year: 1 year out of undergrad
ECs: Lots, varied and long-term, lots of research, work + volunteering w disadvantaged populations...

Casper: Thought it went well. Got *waitlisted* at Mac with a 127 CARS so figured my casper must have been pretty good... maybe not

Reject! (Really?! surprised)
Time Stamp: 4.47pm MT
wGPA: 3.99 i think? (not sure how to calculate it, but either 4.0 or 3.99 once weighted)
Current year: Completed a PhD overseas at a University that is consistenly ranked top 3 Worldwide
ECs: Played 2 varsity sports while at uni. Lots of high quality volunteering experiences for many years, about 40 publications, 6 first author, so obviously lots of  presentations/posters at international conferences, travelled the world and lived abroad for almost ten years.Top Scholarships (one was very prestigious & over 220K), ran a University-wide Society for 6 years, ran patient Open Days (for a condition that I researched) where people in the community could come learn more, shadowed Neurology clinics for years, sit on two Board of Directors, supervise undergrad research projects, and so on. Definitely a diversity of experiences. Obviously you can see I'm a mature non-traditional applicant. I am a parent. So all I can think is they don't want that sort of med student at UofO! 

Casper: Seemed pretty good but I never got the results

Email said that we can't get any feedback on the application process so I guess I will never know the reason for the rejection. On a side note, this is my first time ever posting on a forum like this. I thought maybe others have insight on how they decide since UofO are clearly tight lipped about how they calculate the scores.

Good luck for all of you applying, best wishes.

Rejection :(
Time Stamp: Jan 29, 2018 6:48pm
wGPA: 3.93
Current year: UG, Masters 
ECs: A lot of different things both long term and short term volunteering; Lots of leadership and research activities but no publications

Casper: It went okay....got cut off for the third question for some scenarios

4 minutes ago, hockey said:

Reject! (Really?! surprised)
Time Stamp: 4.47pm MT
wGPA: 3.99 i think? (not sure how to calculate it, but either 4.0 or 3.99 once weighted)
Current year: Completed a PhD overseas at a University that is consistenly ranked top 3 Worldwide
ECs: Thought they were good. Played 2 varsity sports while at uni. Lots of high quality volunteering experiences for many years, about 40 publications, 6 first author, so obviously lots of  presentations/posters at international conferences, travelled the world and lived abroad for almost ten years.Top Scholarships (one was very prestigious & over 220K), ran a University-wide Society for 6 years, ran patient Open Days (for a condition that I researched) where people in the community could come learn more, shadowed Neurology clinics for years, sit on two Board of Directors, supervise undergrad research projects, and so on. Definitely a diversity of experiences. Obviously you can see I'm a mature non-traditional applicant. I have a two year old. So all I can think is they don't want that sort of med student at UofO!

Casper: Seemed pretty good but I never got a score

Says that we can't get any feedback on the application process so I guess I will never know the reason for the rejection. On a side note, this is my first time ever posting on a forum like this. I thought maybe others have insight on how they decide since UofO are clearly tight lipped about how they calculate the scores.

Good luck for all of you applying, best wishes.

Whoa, your specs are amazing! Hopefully, you got an interview elsewhere. uOttawa is really GPA focussed (at least for English) so I'm surprised since yours is so high. I know they introduced the Casper to become more diverse.

Invite!!
Time Stamp: 29/01/2018 - 5:57 PM
Stream: French (OOP (not QC))   (CNFS)
wGPA: 3.958
Current year: 3rd year undergrad
ECs: International karate athlete, 2yrs medical receptionist, national essay 12k winner, hospital volunteering, volunteering with persons with disabilities, 2 clubs, 60k views on my chemistry Youtube videos, 2yrs working for my faculty, 2nd author on manuscript (still waiting for my PI to submit it..), etc

Casper: Thought it was much harder than the english casper I wrote for Mac (who rejected me but I have 126 in CARS so who knows)

4 minutes ago, onesieluv said:

Invite!!
Time Stamp: 29/01/2018 - 5:57 PM
Stream: French (OOP (not QC))   (CNFS)
wGPA: 3.958
Current year: 3rd year undergrad
ECs: International karate athlete, 2yrs medical receptionist, national essay 12k winner, hospital volunteering, volunteering with persons with disabilities, 2 clubs, 60k views on my chemistry Youtube videos, 2yrs working for my faculty, 2nd author on manuscript (still waiting for my PI to submit it..), etc

Casper: Thought it was much harder than the english casper I wrote for Mac (who rejected me but I have 126 in CARS so who knows)

Lol why does the view-count matter? If you got 500 views would it no longer be substantial enough to include as an activity? Anyway, grats I'll see on on interview day mon amie

Invite
Time Stamp: 29/01/2018 - 5:49 PM
Stream: English OOP
wGPA: 3.98
Current year: 3rd year undergrad
ECs: 3 years of research, diverse extracurriculars and long-term volunteering. About 7 publications, a couple big awards but no scholarships. 

Casper: Good enough for Mac! 

Best of luck to all interviewees :)

Invite!!!
Time Stamp: 29/01/1996 - 6:00 PM
wGPA: 4.0
Current year:4th year
ECs: I would say above average, although relative to this forum they may be average. PM me for details if you like.

Casper: I'm also interviewing at Mac so it must have gone at least decent (?)

Invite!
Time Stamp: 29/01/2018 - 6:37 PM
wGPA: 3.94 (last 3y ugrad weighted using uOttawa formula)
Current year: Masters
ECs: Varied and plentiful PM if you want the 'nitty gritty' details

Casper: Felt nervous because I didn't have time to flesh out some of my answers, but feel better about it now :P 

INVITE! Shocker of my life
Time Stamp: 29/01/2018 - 6:27 PM
wGPA: 3.89
Current year: UG complete (did 5 years), currently taking a year off and working in research
ECs: Definitely above average, lots of community involvement and leadership, research productivity, clinical experience, some awards, and so on

Casper: Honestly felt pretty good about it. Didn't think I did outstanding but didn't think I did horrible either. Did a lot of practice and reflected on ethical scenarios I've faced in my pre-med career so far, didn't read 'Doing Right' - just brushed up on ethics and practiced

I was 100% expecting a rejection, I'm still shocked. Hope this gives hope to all the sub-3.90s out there!! Just apply!!

Invite!
Time Stamp: 5:55pm
wGPA: 3.97-4.00ish?
Current year: 4th
ECs: A bit of everything- honours research/NSERC USRA (no pubs), volunteering, student services, equity-related activities, clubs, pretty extensive support roles 

Casper: Good enough for a Mac/Dal invite but not McGill as OOP- so it was okay I guess!