Premed 101 Forums

Grad students 2018?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, peace2014 said:

I meant because she was a MD phD and a MD candidate as well, her overall file was probably reviewed early since MD PhDs are reviewed first.

Yeah could be...all in all I think it is safe to say that the vast majority of grad students did not receive a response yet?

1 minute ago, sowhat said:

Yeah could be...all in all I think it is safe to say that the vast majority of grad students did not receive a response yet?

That is my understanding. I should mention I have heard of grad who got into utoronto md without publications. With that being said their undergrad gpa could have been competitive.

1 minute ago, MomMDhopeful said:

That is my understanding. I should mention I have heard of grad who got into utoronto md without publications. With that being said their undergrad gpa could have been competitive.

Oh definitely, I know many people who got in with no pubs...

On 1/31/2018 at 4:43 PM, sowhat said:

Oh definitely, I know many people who got in with no pubs...

but evaluated in the grad pool or evaluated in the undergrad pool?

So unclear how they might measure productivity in the absence of a first author pub.... do we think the supervisor's additional letter is high value? :/

1 hour ago, masterofnone said:

So unclear how they might measure productivity in the absence of a first author pub.... do we think the supervisor's additional letter is high value? :/

I'm pretty sure the person I know was evaluated as a grad applicant. But honestly, who knows lol.

5 hours ago, masterofnone said:

I would /hopefully/ suspect that the additional letter is of high value? It's hard to show the work you've put in to your graduate degree just by stating it on your CV, especially if you are doing your Masters. The majority of Master's students don't submit papers until they are at least almost finished. I can't speak on behalf of PhD students though. But that's where the supervisor can speak on your behalf and state that he/she WILL be submitting papers, presenting at conferences, etc.

I'm in my 2nd year of my Master's and I was lucky enough to submit a first-authored paper last summer (accepted soon) and present an oral abstract at an international conference. But that was just the nature of my project. So I'm not sure if U of T thinks that is "productive". 

Just my two cents. Not sure if anyone else can comment?

21 hours ago, masterofnone said:

The additional letter does not speak about research productivity, it just confirms that you are in a good position in your program and that you will graduate on time.

38 minutes ago, sowhat said:

The additional letter does not speak about research productivity, it just confirms that you are in a good position in your program and that you will graduate on time.

Based on what information? Be careful of contributing to misinformation.

As per UofT Website:

• One confidential letter of reference from your graduate supervisor* submitted to OMSAS. This letter must be accompanied by the Graduate Supervisor Form. Graduate supervisors must submit the letters online. Please access the Referees section of your OMSAS application to arrange to send the Graduate Supervisor Form and letter request to your graduate supervisor. This letter must be received by OMSAS by October 2, 2017. This letter should include details of your:
    • (expected) graduate degree completion date
    • research work
    • academic capability
    • scholarly productivity/scholarly potential

*Your graduate supervisor’s letter of reference must be provided in addition to the three letters of reference sent to OMSAS, even if your supervisor wrote one of those three letters (reference letters are viewed independently of the graduate supervisor’s letter). Your graduate supervisor’s letter is not a personal letter of reference and instead must focus on your performance in the graduate program. It should not include reference to non-academic activities. Please have your supervisor identify this letter in the header as ‘Additional Letter for Graduate Applicant’. Applicants who do not provide details of their degree completion date will not be assessed. 

42 minutes ago, masterofnone said:

Based on what information? Be careful of contributing to misinformation.

As per UofT Website:

• One confidential letter of reference from your graduate supervisor* submitted to OMSAS. This letter must be accompanied by the Graduate Supervisor Form. Graduate supervisors must submit the letters online. Please access the Referees section of your OMSAS application to arrange to send the Graduate Supervisor Form and letter request to your graduate supervisor. This letter must be received by OMSAS by October 2, 2017. This letter should include details of your:
    • (expected) graduate degree completion date
    • research work
    • academic capability
    • scholarly productivity/scholarly potential

*Your graduate supervisor’s letter of reference must be provided in addition to the three letters of reference sent to OMSAS, even if your supervisor wrote one of those three letters (reference letters are viewed independently of the graduate supervisor’s letter). Your graduate supervisor’s letter is not a personal letter of reference and instead must focus on your performance in the graduate program. It should not include reference to non-academic activities. Please have your supervisor identify this letter in the header as ‘Additional Letter for Graduate Applicant’. Applicants who do not provide details of their degree completion date will not be assessed. 

Based on what my supervisor who wrote it and also wrote one of my regular reference letters told me :)
Anyways...I am just saying what I know, and I don't think either I or anyone here can claim to know the truth for sure, so it is not misinformation really, just what I knew directly from someone who wrote this letter.

Archived