Premed 101 Forums

Next round of invites

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, MD.VA said:

So I went back to read last year's thread. Looks like applicants were kept in limbo all the way up until March 27th, with a massive wave of rejections on that date. Boys and girls, strap in for 2 more weeks of this BS.

That is true, but the Facebook post explicitly said we would hear by early next week. I'm assuming if I'm not rejected by next Friday then I am on the wait list

3 minutes ago, Slickrick said:

That is true, but the Facebook post explicitly said we would hear by early next week. I'm assuming if I'm not rejected by next Friday then I am on the wait list

I think if we don't hear back by early next week (Tues), we are on the wait list.

2 minutes ago, Slickrick said:

That may very well be the case, but someone called the office a week ago and they were told all responses should be out by THIS Friday - tomorrow. Now they post on FB and say beginning of next week. What's not to say that they will post again and say they still have a few spots left? We'll keep waiting another week.

Based on this thread, there seems to be a lot of people who have not heard back. Are you guys, like me, between the low GPA rejections we have seen on this forum (3.84) and the high GPA acceptances (3.95-4.0). I’m at a wGPA of 3.89 which is most likely too low for u of t I’m guessing 

It seems like the last wave of rejections last year was March 27th... would you guys think that these people that got rejected on the 27th were on the waitlist for interviews? I'm not sure if this is the case since it seems like a lot of people were rejected March 27th last year.

6 minutes ago, medabe said:

Based on this thread, there seems to be a lot of people who have not heard back. Are you guys, like me, between the low GPA rejections we have seen on this forum (3.84) and the high GPA acceptances (3.95-4.0). I’m at a wGPA of 3.89 which is most likely too low for u of t I’m guessing 

I don't want to sound cocky but that's not my case ... Either I have the worst luck in the world of getting the latest file review date OR wrote the worst essays on the planet OR they messed up my GPA or MCAT score, idk why I haven't heard back yet?

9 minutes ago, medabe said:

I'm sitting at 3.91 wGPA, so likely same boat.

4 minutes ago, healthscireject said:

I don't want to sound cocky but that's not my case ... Either I have the worst luck in the world of getting the latest file review date OR wrote the worst essays on the planet OR they messed up my GPA or MCAT score, idk why I haven't heard back yet?

so you have something like a 4.0 wGPA and have not heard back? hmmm

1 minute ago, medabe said:

so you have something like a 4.0 wGPA and have not heard back? hmmm

I don't qualify for wGPA weighting but I have a 4.0 yea ... and hit all cutoffs for the MCAT. How likely is it that I deleted their emails by mistake or it went to my spam folder (yes, I am losing my sanity)

Edit: @MD.VA I guess we are posting our stats her lmaooo

1 minute ago, healthscireject said:

I don't qualify for wGPA weighting but I have a 4.0 yea ... and hit all cutoffs for the MCAT. How likely is it that I deleted their emails by mistake or it went to my spam folder (yes, I am losing my sanity)

Maybe you should call and ask? That's a pretty crazy GPA!! Congrats!

1 hour ago, Captrex_501stlegion said:

You guys think you have it bad? Try having not met the MCAT cutoff and not getting your rejection yet. I know how it ends but they keep stretching out the inevitable...

Honestly if you didn't get rejected it makes me truly believe they haven't gone through all the apps yet. 

2 minutes ago, 2hopeful said:

Honestly if you didn't get rejected it makes me truly believe they haven't gone through all the apps yet. 

Not to be overly negative, but the failure to reject someone who did not meet the MCAT cutoffs could also mean that they are simply holding most of the rejections until the end, so that they don't have to field 1000 phone calls from rejectees, while they are still reviewing applications and conducting interviews!!

7 minutes ago, 2hopeful said:

I'm sitting at a 3.93 weighted, met mcat cut offs and felt pretty good about my essays. So idk where I went wrong? 

I'm sitting at a near 4.0 gpa, have good EC's in my estimation, and consider myself to be a strong writer and felt confident about my essays. Either my rec letters aren't good enough (I actually believe they are above average) or I'm just really unlucky. 

41 minutes ago, Slickrick said:

I'm sitting at a near 4.0 gpa, have good EC's in my estimation, and consider myself to be a strong writer and felt confident about my essays. Either my rec letters aren't good enough (I actually believe they are above average) or I'm just really unlucky. 

4.0, decent essays, good enough ECs and letters for other EC heavy schools. I think my problem is a lack of research, which I've been working on this year (I've got a poster now at least) but I can't tell them about. Still haven't heard anything  

My point is mostly that there's an element of "do you fit what that particular school is looking for that year" present in the process. I really hope that there are a few left for people here, especially those without other opportunities.  

Having reviewed Medical School admission files in the past, candidates end up fitting in three categories:

1. The very few applicants who are absolutely amazing and you definitely want them at your school.

2. The applicants that are absolutely terrible and you want to make sure they do not get into your school.

3. All the rest which range from very good, to satisfactory. 

This last section has so many applicants that it is very hard to tease one applicant from the other. The admission process is focused on making sure that the subpar applicants do not get accepted instead of ensuring they get the absolute best candidate. Unfortunately this is a reality of a system that has to review thousands of applications.

All this to say that there is an element of luck to getting interviews. Does the file reviewer have similar interests to you, does the file reviewer value something on your CV due to personal bias etc. How does your file compare to other files that reviewer was tasked to look over. All these elements will play into the final decision.

Therefore, if you don't get an interview, pause and assess if you think you might be in Categorie 2 (Do you have any red flags?), if you are not, chances are if you apply enough times, you will eventually get an interview.

Archived