Premed 101 Forums

Next round of invites

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This wait is killing me too... I feel so neurotic checking this forum and my email every 5 minutes. I would agree that Wednesday or Thursday will be the next wave. Hopefully it's sooner though. Does anyone know if they have started filling sports for the March 24/25 dates yet?

I spoke with admissions today. Although some of the ad com's answers were a little ambiguous, this is what I was able to get from my conversation: 

1. Apparently even if you didn't met cutoffs for moving on to detailed file review, you may have not heard back yet. It's all about when they get to your file. 

2. I wasn't able to be told approximately how many invites are still to go out, but I was told that there is still a "considerable amount". So probably still around 40-50% assuming March 24/25 interview invites haven't started going out yet, or have only started going out.

3. Apparently after initial file screening, there is a preliminary file review before they delve deeper into the detailed file review. This preliminary assessment allows the admissions committee to assess the overall competitiveness of applicant pool as a whole (i.e. which applicants will likely be of high competitiveness and which will be of lower competitiveness in reference to the rest of the pool). Then they will do a detailed file review to assess exact competitiveness of the applicants. The preliminary screening allows U of T to be able to send out invites and regrets after detailed file review on a rolling basis (as they review batches) since they know the approximate competitiveness of their applicant pool, and that there are a considerable amount of interview spots to be filled (~600). 

11 minutes ago, jolteon said:

I spoke with admissions today. Although some of the ad com's answers were a little ambiguous, this is what I was able to get from my conversation: 

1. Apparently even if you didn't met cutoffs for moving on to detailed file review, you may have not heard back yet. It's all about when they get to your file. 

2. I wasn't able to be told approximately how many invites are still to go out, but I was told that there is still a "considerable amount". So probably still around 40-50% assuming March 24/25 interview invites haven't started going out yet, or have only started going out.

3. Apparently after initial file screening, there is a preliminary file review before they delve deeper into the detailed file review. This preliminary assessment allows the admissions committee to assess the overall competitiveness of applicant pool as a whole (i.e. which applicants will likely be of high competitiveness and which will be of lower competitiveness in reference to the rest of the pool). Then they will do a detailed file review to assess exact competitiveness of the applicants. The preliminary screening allows U of T to be able to send out invites and regrets after detailed file review on a rolling basis (as they review batches) since they know the approximate competitiveness of their applicant pool, and that there are a considerable amount of interview spots to be filled (~600). 

most importantly, will there be a wave of invites today? :P

10 minutes ago, jolteon said:

Thanks so much for the info @jolteon:) Did they by chance mention when they would be sending out the next round of invites? 

25 minutes ago, 2hopeful said:

most importantly, will there be a wave of invites today? :P

25 minutes ago, futureMDdoctor said:

Thanks so much for the info @jolteon:) Did they by chance mention when they would be sending out the next round of invites? 

I unfortunately did not ask about when the next wave will be. However, if I did, I don't think they would have told me :P I would assume one is coming anytime between today and Thursday based on stats from invite/regrets threads of previous years. Judging by the 2018 invite/regret thread, no waves have gone out in two weeks. Unless there was one last week and no one posted about it. 

2 minutes ago, Captrex_501stlegion said:

While I do appreciate the fact that by not putting a timeline on the waves they can be thorough and do every applicant justice, what bothers me is the clear rejections not being sent out.

yeah to be honest that is the one part of what they are doing that never made sense to me. If you have 100% sure someone is not going to full review, or somehow doesn't hit a cut off then I am not really sure why wouldn't let those people off the hook. The stress and possible expense/time for prep could be then redirected to improving the application. 

Archived