Premed 101 Forums

Next round of invites

How do you guys think they sift through the applications? I dont think alphabetically because my initials are H.E. and i havent heard anything yet and last year I did not hear back till march 13. Do you guys think they sort the applications based on mcat cutoff and gpa and assess starting from the more competitive applications to the less competitive ones? 

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Captrex_501stlegion said:

How do you guys think they sift through the applications? I dont think alphabetically because my initials are H.E. and i havent heard anything yet and last year I did not hear back till march 13. Do you guys think they sort the applications based on mcat cutoff and gpa and assess starting from the more competitive applications to the less competitive ones? 

I honestly don't think they have any order whatsoever but just based on when your file "finishes" review.

I've heard from ppl on the admissions committee this year (have friends and research supervisor on it) who basically told me how they do their review. They basically blast your file into many many anonymized parts and send it to random ppl for assessment. 

I think it's literally whenever those ppl get back. I assume they probably have some deadline, some probably review earlier than deadline given, others, closer to.

I've heard from somewhere here grad students generally tend to get invited later bc their files likely have additional components (academic CV, additional reference letter, conf/pubs) but have no idea whether this is true on any level.

It's literally sit tight, wait, bc you have no idea what the heck is going on... Really nerve wracking

11 minutes ago, Captrex_501stlegion said:

I doubt it.  If that was the case, I'd probably have heard back one way or the other, (although my lack of research makes me a hard sell for U of T).

38 minutes ago, plastics91 said:

I honestly don't think they have any order whatsoever but just based on when your file "finishes" review.

I've heard from ppl on the admissions committee this year (have friends and research supervisor on it) who basically told me how they do their review. They basically blast your file into many many anonymized parts and send it to random ppl for assessment. 

I think it's literally whenever those ppl get back. I assume they probably have some deadline, some probably review earlier than deadline given, others, closer to.

I've heard from somewhere here grad students generally tend to get invited later bc their files likely have additional components (academic CV, additional reference letter, conf/pubs) but have no idea whether this is true on any level.

It's literally sit tight, wait, bc you have no idea what the heck is going on... Really nerve wracking

Since you know people involved in the selection process, do you happen to know if GPA is assessed as part of detailed file review? I keep hearing conflicting information, some say academics account for 60% and others say UofT creates a competitive cutoff each year and once you've met that, only ABS/LORs/essays determine whether or not you receive an invite. I don't know if anyone actually knows the answer to this but I'm right under a 3.9 and it's been worrying me since September :( lol 

19 minutes ago, neurologypls said:

Since you know people involved in the selection process, do you happen to know if GPA is assessed as part of detailed file review? I keep hearing conflicting information, some say academics account for 60% and others say UofT creates a competitive cutoff each year and once you've met that, only ABS/LORs/essays determine whether or not you receive an invite. I don't know if anyone actually knows the answer to this but I'm right under a 3.9 and it's been worrying me since September :( lol 

I'm in a similar situation, being right around the borderline at a 3.9 and would be curious to know as well! I definitely believe UofT should be a lot more transparent about their selection process (i.e. whether GPA is ranked or not) so as for applicants to know which part of their application needs work. That way, applicants won't be focusing their efforts on certain activities that might not bring about any real change in their perceived candidacy...

15 hours ago, neurologypls said:

14 hours ago, sleepyhead20 said:

I'm in a similar situation, being right around the borderline at a 3.9 and would be curious to know as well! I definitely believe UofT should be a lot more transparent about their selection process (i.e. whether GPA is ranked or not) so as for applicants to know which part of their application needs work. That way, applicants won't be focusing their efforts on certain activities that might not bring about any real change in their perceived candidacy...

I don't claim to know the exact process but here's my 2 cents based on what I've heard:

My friends on the admissions committee says beyond 3.8 weighted there isn't a huge difference. Your file is reviewed by many many people, but I don't think any of them get to know your GPA, just different sections (ABS, Essay). I think the weight and impact of GPA is probably algorithmically derived based on each year's applicant pool. However I don't think there is a "cutoff" because I think every year there is 1 or 2 people with exceptional background (minority, some unique circumstance) that probably do get invited (not sure, will have to look at admissions stats if they post anything like this). But again, emphasizing this is most likely a statistical anomaly and should not apply to most candidates.

I don't think you guys should worry that borderline 3.9 is kicking you off the running bc even based on the forum there are a few people with <3.9 who received invites. However I think UofT says GPA is assessed competitively, and the ridiculous increase in trends in past years indicate GPA is most likely a huge selection factor. There is either just an overall GPA inflation going on or it's just getting more competitive. Either way imo their choice to do this is understandable but quite crude.. I think they may be filling their class with people with certain philosophy or lack of failures that is contributing to their poor match rates in past several years.. but hey, what do I know :P 

2 minutes ago, Albert said:

Looks like it. Probably because most of the seats are filled at this point. 

They've been sending out regrets all of Feb though. This is just the first time people posted their stats on the forum. I'm going to assume that the pre-interview chances for those that have not heard back remain the same.

4 minutes ago, MD.VA said:

They've been sending out regrets all of Feb though. This is just the first time people posted their stats on the forum. I'm going to assume that the pre-interview chances for those that have not heard back remain the same.

valid point, but my guess is that the number of rejections are now just a little bit higher than before

2 minutes ago, 2hopeful said:

They said they will be sending out invites up until 2 weeks before the interview date. That means we will only have 2 weeks of misery left :) 

Idk what's worse, getting a rejection now or holding on this little bit of hope.

username checks out! Stay hopeful :)

I still don’t understand how do they justify /don’t notice/just don’t care about the fact that one person will have two weeks extra to prep.. two weeks is a lot of time..

if you look at the invite dates for the first interview date, some people had a month extra... like why are you making it hard for certain people? 

4 minutes ago, hartk48 said:

I still don’t understand how do they justify /don’t notice/just don’t care about the fact that one person will have two weeks extra to prep.. two weeks is a lot of time..

if you look at the invite dates for the first interview date, some people had a month extra... like why are you making it hard for certain people? 

Unfortunately the onus is on the applicant to proactively prepare for a possible interview. I understand many undergraduates will not want to use precious study time to prep for an unconfirmed interview but it's a balance they have to manage. Those courses are important but so is their shot for this career.  

This is just one of the disadvantages of rolling invites but without that we'd all be getting late notifications.

Make whatever prep time you have count. I'm sure people getting off interview waitlists are just grateful to have received an interview even if it's last minute. 

16 minutes ago, hartk48 said:

To be honest, unless you're trying to change your personality altogether, the extra 2 weeks won't affect your performance that much. The interviewers always tell you they want genuine and not over-rehearsed answers. Its also difficult to prepare since you dont know what they will be asking.

8 minutes ago, Eudaimonia said:

Unfortunately the onus is on the applicant to proactively prepare for a possible interview. I understand many undergraduates will not want to use precious study time to prep for an unconfirmed interview but it's a balance they have to manage. Those courses are important but so is their shot for this career.  

This is just one of the disadvantages of rolling invites but without that we'd all be getting late notifications.

Make whatever prep time you have count. I'm sure people getting off interview waitlists are just grateful to have received an interview even if it's last minute. 

While it is easily to put the responsibility on the applicant, with how competitive it is, I don't think it is fair or logical to expect people to prepare. I know many, many amazing applicants that have been rejected and I am preparing for mine too.

I would much prefer to have everyone wait a little longer than putting certain (randomly chosen, I don't think uft is targeting anyone fyi) people at a disadvantage. 

I am also making this argument for **Uft's own self interest**.... they want to select for the best of people, but with some having more time, they are making this unfair/

Your last point, definitely, any applicant would be happy to get an interview even its a week before. But again, going back to uft's interest, its illogical. While certain individuals may perform well under such short notice, I doubt how many people will (I know I wont be able to pull it off)

I do understand that it is very easy for me to criticize the system, and that UfT is probably working very hard to score all the applications in a timely manner but that is just my opinion 

2 minutes ago, hartk48 said:

While it is easily to put the responsibility on the applicant, with how competitive it is, I don't think it is fair or logical to expect people to prepare. I know many, many amazing applicants that have been rejected and I am preparing for mine too.

I would much prefer to have everyone wait a little longer than putting certain (randomly chosen, I don't think uft is targeting anyone fyi) people at a disadvantage. 

I am also making this argument for **Uft's own self interest**.... they want to select for the best of people, but with some having more time, they are making this unfair/

Your last point, definitely, any applicant would be happy to get an interview even its a week before. But again, going back to uft's interest, its illogical. While certain individuals may perform well under such short notice, I doubt how many people will (I know I wont be able to pull it off)

I do understand that it is very easy for me to criticize the system, and that UfT is probably working very hard to score all the applications in a timely manner but that is just my opinion 

I understand your frustration and agree that it's unfair for those that don't get advance notice. I'm also someone who feels much more comfortable with lots of prep time and can't be motivated to prepare unless I'm pretty sure I'll be invited, probably like the majority of people. 

There is no perfect system to catch all the best candidates as there is much subjectivity in even assessing our qualities, but that's the game 

Archived