Premed 101 Forums

At what cGPA should the applicant go for a second undergrad?

At what cGPA should the applicant go for a second undergrad?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. At what cGPA should the applicant go for a second undergrad?

• 3.7-3.75
    • 3.65-3.7
    • 3.6-3.65
    • 3.55-3.6
    • 3.5-3.55
    • 3.45-3.5
    • 3.4-3.45
    • 3.35 or below

Hi everyone, 

I have been seeing a lot of mixed answers to what cGPA a second undergrad would be considered necessary/highly recommended. So according to your opinion, what is the cGPA that work experience/grad school can't really make up for? This is assuming that the applicant would only want to go to medicine, nothing else as a career choice, but is flexible enough to like research/work.

This is impossible to give a good answer to without knowing more information. In short, it all depends on the GPAs of your individual years, your MCAT, and where you're from. Most schools use some form of weighting that could make a seemingly low 3.0 cGPA competitive (e.g. if your top 2 years are good then Queen's and Western are potentially options). Even with a relatively low cGPA you can still get McMaster if you have a good CARS score and CASPer.

I get the theme of what you are trying to ask, but you need to re-structure the survey somehow.  For Ontario schools (and most others) you need a +3.80 GPA to be competitive for an interview so that means raising your Undergrad mark by some means.  It is really the weighted wGPA that is important.    

Hey! Sorry about the confusion. I was thinking more like instances where the school only looks at cGPA (such as McGill) or when wGPA formula cannot apply to the U of T applicant and they have to use cGPA. Also, I was wondering what is the cGPA where a second degree is definitely needed, despite a 515+ MCAT or strong upward trend. 

1 hour ago, Organic Chemistry said:

Hey! Sorry about the confusion. I was thinking more like instances where the school only looks at cGPA (such as McGill) or when wGPA formula cannot apply to the U of T applicant and they have to use cGPA. Also, I was wondering what is the cGPA where a second degree is definitely needed, despite a 515+ MCAT or strong upward trend. 

Hmm.. there's usually no "definite" - like other posters have said it's your calculated GPA for the school of interest that matters.  It's best to check the websites directly e.g. Western is "best 2 years", Queen's is "last 2 years"...  Also usually applying out of province is not a good option unless you have an exceptional MCAT for instance in which case you'd possibly have a shot at Saskatchewan.  

Archived