Premed 101 Forums

Rural med site suggestions

Hi, 

I'm a 3rd year Ontario med student interested in doing a rural medicine elective in NS. I was just wondering if anyone has had a positive experience at a particular site or with a particular preceptor. 

Here are the sites available on AFMC:

Amherst
Annapolis Valley
Antigonish
Bridgewater
Cape Breton
Miramichi
New Glasgo
Southwest NS
Truro

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am waiting to here back from dal about medical school and so I cannot give much information about what it would be like to work at one of the hospitals but I have lived in the Annapolis Valley my entire life. It is beautiful here in my opinion. I love living in the town of Wolfville as this is where I went to University at Acadia. There’s a lot of culture and activity, particularly in the summer and fall months. Lots to do if you like hiking, swimming, and trying out all kinds of food. In the winter time, the whole town is lit up with lights and Christmas trees. I am from a part of the Annapolis Valley called Hants County. If you want to get a good feel for working with and treating people of rural areas, you’ll definitely get a lot of exposure here. Many of my friends and other people have a love of the outdoors and many work with their hands. Sometimes people may seem intimidating but they are actually very good people! I hope this helps and if there is anything in particular you would like to know just post!

• 4 months later...
On 2/15/2018 at 8:49 PM, FutureFM said:

Hi, 

I'm a 3rd year Ontario med student interested in doing a rural medicine elective in NS. I was just wondering if anyone has had a positive experience at a particular site or with a particular preceptor. 

Amherst
Annapolis Valley
Antigonish
Bridgewater
Cape Breton
Miramichi
New Glasgo
Southwest NS
Truro

Thanks!

I did a rotation in Truro and it was lovely. I did Emerg and it's all run by fam docs + 1 - very knowledgeable, friendly, keen on teaching, and warm. Great place. 

On 2/15/2018 at 8:49 PM, FutureFM said:

Hi, 

Amherst
Annapolis Valley
Antigonish
Bridgewater
Cape Breton
Miramichi
New Glasgo
Southwest NS
Truro

Thanks!

I've done a rotation on the South Shore (Bridgewater/Lunenburg/Liverpool) and it was amazing! 

Archived