Premed 101 Forums

Diagnosed with testicular cancer 1 month before interviews...

Just yesterday, I had surgery yesterday to remove a testicle with a tumor on it. The prognosis is probably good since the bloodwork and imaging came back normal, but I'm still waiting on the results from pathology. This all happened unexpectedly and at such a shitty time. I have 3 MMIs coming up this year with the first 2 weeks out. Right now I can hardly walk. I have no idea how the hormonal changes and pain meds will affect my MMI performance, not to mention stress of possibly having a bad prognosis. A buddy of mine said to email admissions at the schools I'm interviewing just to let them know I might have some difficulty. Any advice on how to proceed?

1. Sorry to hear this.

2. Ask if you can move the interviews later. I would say "I just had an urgent unscheduled surgery, and am having difficulty walking/controlling pain. Is it possible to move my interview so that I am more recovered?" Otherwise, you can always let them know that you may not ambulate well at all. 

3. With a single testicle removed, you shouldn't really experience any hormone changes.

4. You will feel much better in 2 weeks. You won't be 100% but you will be better than you are now.

Archived