Premed 101 Forums

Thoughts post-interview?

Med79

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a reminder for everyone to not discuss specifics of stations, as per the NDA.

Bombed 2-3 as well, I think I did okay on the rest, nothing exceptional. It was very well organized and low-stress once it got started, although I still don't understand how people actually have fun with these things haha it wasn't easy! Has anyone in recent years (since they increased the number of interviewees) gotten in while feeling like they did pretty average? I don't think I did too poorly, but I definitely didn't feel like a rockstar coming out.

And now to play the waiting game... Best of luck to all, especially those of you interviewing later this week!

1 hour ago, MedP111 said:

Just a reminder for everyone to not discuss specifics of stations, as per the NDA.

Bombed 2-3 as well, I think I did okay on the rest, nothing exceptional. It was very well organized and low-stress once it got started, although I still don't understand how people actually have fun with these things haha it wasn't easy! Has anyone in recent years (since they increased the number of interviewees) gotten in while feeling like they did pretty average? I don't think I did too poorly, but I definitely didn't feel like a rockstar coming out.

And now to play the waiting game... Best of luck to all, especially those of you interviewing later this week!

i also feel the same.. for 2 scenarios im not even quite sure what they were evaluating at all..

Pretty much feel the same as you guys who posted so far. I don't feel I was exceptionally brilliant at any of the stations, and I probably bombed a couple. Was usually not fully sure what they were trying to assess. I guess it was a little fun, but definitely not all of it.... Wait and see, good luck to us all!

Same here.

Thought it was pretty brutal, especially with a lower prerequisite GPA I am already planning on application for next year.

I talked to lady while waiting for mmi and she essentially said if you don't have 3.8 prereqGPA you are done, so was pretty bummed to begin with.

Guess we have to wait and see.

1 hour ago, cardiomed said:

Same here.

Thought it was pretty brutal, especially with a lower prerequisite GPA I am already planning on application for next year.

I talked to lady while waiting for mmi and she essentially said if you don't have 3.8 prereqGPA you are done, so was pretty bummed to begin with.

That lady didn’t know what she was talking about. The re-applicant info session this year stated that 33% of the admits from last cycle had a prereq GPA of 3.77 or less. Besides, they have no reason to invite you for an interview if they didn’t think you had a realistic chance. Cheer up! :)

5 hours ago, MedP111 said:

That lady didn’t know what she was talking about. The re-applicant info session this year stated that 33% of the admits from last cycle had a prereq GPA of 3.77 or less. Besides, they have no reason to invite you for an interview if they didn’t think you had a realistic chance. Cheer up! :)

Thank you that is very helpful :)

You are right we have to keep hopes up and see how it goes.

Rumor has it that they drop your highest and lowest station to account for outliers, can anyone fully confirm? Or they will drop a station if you spoke to them after the interview (i.e. if you know the actors and telling them how it influenced your performance, then the actor has to confirm/deny that claim)

10 minutes ago, Vendar said:

Rumor has it that they drop your highest and lowest station to account for outliers, can anyone fully confirm? Or they will drop a station if you spoke to them after the interview (i.e. if you know the actors and telling them how it influenced your performance, then the actor has to confirm/deny that claim)

no

10 minutes ago, mia1234 said:

How much can a strong pre-req GPA help you considering its only worth 20% ?

Are you OOP? If you're in this category, since all OOP interviewees' GPAs are so tightly clustered in the ~3.95 region, the resultant rank list for acceptance is much more so determined by MMI performance. I am using the cGPA as a proxy for the pre-req GPA, of course.

Friends, I think you are over-thinking it.
Forget the rumours and the what-ifs.
Focus on what you can control.

Proof : Let's just assume the post-interview scoring is on 100.

• Pre-reqs : 20%
  • Interview : 80%

Scenario #1 : Average interview (75%) + 3.0 GPA pre-reqs,

• Pre-reqs score : 15/20
  • Interview score : 60/80
  • Total score : 75/100

Scenario #2 : Average interview + 3.7 GPA pre-reqs,

• Pre-reqs score : 18.5/20
  • Total score : 78.5/100

Scenario #3 : Average interview + 4.0 GPA pre-reqs,

• Pre-reqs score : 20/20
  • Total score : 80/100

Take-home message :

• From a 3.0 to a 4.0 pre-reqs GPA, this will impact your global score by 5%.
  • You should simply focus on your interview and make up for that 5% by acing a station.
  • Good luck to all :)

Just now, la marzocco said:

Are you OOP? If you're in this category, since all OOP interviewees' GPAs are so tightly clustered in the ~3.95 region, the resultant rank list for acceptance is much more so determined by MMI performance. I am using the cGPA as a proxy for the pre-req GPA, of course.

No, I'm IP and was wondering if a strong pre-req GPA will help me out. 

1 minute ago, HoopDreams said:

Friends, are think you are over-thinking it.

Take-home message :

• You should simply focus on your interview and make up for that 5% by acing a station.

Ha. This is fantastic. Love it.

12 hours ago, cardiomed said:

Same here.

Not true. In my year, I had a prreqGPA about 3.78, I failed miserably in 2 stations, and still got an offer of admission in the end (which I declined to accept Laval's). My advice: it's only over when it's over. Good luck! :)

3 minutes ago, MDLaval said:

Not true. In my year, I had a prreqGPA about 3.78, I failed miserably in 2 stations, and still got an offer of admission in the end (which I declined to accept Laval's). My advice: it's only over when it's over. Good luck! :)

Let the chips fall where they may - I say this too much, but this is a perfect situation for it :) 

43 minutes ago, HoopDreams said:

Take-home message :

If they actually do it this way it would be awesome but I think what they do is they consider the lowest GPA in the pool as 1 and highest as 20 and based on that and your rank they calculate your final prereqGPA, again this is a complete speculation. The lady who was in charge of the interview was very strict but we met the assistant dean of admissions and she really was amazing and said just do your best you will never know.

I don't know to be honest I have it my all and approached each station like how I would approach real life, scenarios were not always resolved but I felt they were okay. I guess the reason I feel so lost is that I don't know if I did what was expected of me.

If you guys have any insights I would love to hear it, it's great we have such an amazing support group lol!!

43 minutes ago, MDLaval said:

But you did have a great prereqGPA so I think that cushioned you a bit, no?

1 hour ago, cardiomed said:

but we met the assistant dean of admissions and she really was amazing and said just do your best you will never know.

I don't know to be honest I have it my all and approached each station like how I would approach real life, scenarios were not always resolved but I felt they were okay. I guess the reason I feel so lost is that I don't know if I did what was expected of me.

That's how you should face it: do your best, you will never know. I couldn't have said better.

And just like you, pretty much almost everyone else doesn't know if they did what was expected of them. This is one of those things you have absolutely zero control over, so it's pretty much pointless trying to figure it out and wasting your time with this. Because in the end, no matter how much thinking and research you do, you still won't get a definite answer.

It's like sometimes in medicine when you do have to accept and deal with a certain level of uncertainty.

Save your time and energy for now.

2 hours ago, HoopDreams said:

Take-home message :

I'm highly skeptical of your "demonstration" there. Unless you have access to undisclosed information, there is no way you know that the pre-reqs score follow a simple curve like this. It is entirely possible (and I would even say likely, so that the pre-req scores are worth anything) that they use a exponential curve. Or they could even give the applicants pre-reqs score only by comparing where he or she stands with respect to the other applicants pre-reqs GPA. Who knows? In any case, I'm doubtful of your demonstration there.

Archived