Premed 101 Forums

Ottawa Med French Stream

Hi everyone!

I've been looking into the difference between applying to the French vs. English stream at Ottawa med. I understand that the French stream is less competitive so I was thinking of applying for that stream. French is not my first language but I can express myself well enough to make it through I believe. Has anyone who has studied English applied for the French stream and gotten an interview? How did things go and how strict are they with assessing your proficiency in writing/speaking? I would really appreciate any advice/help! :)

Also, how important are extracurriculars with OttawaMed?

I studied French so I wouldn't be able to comment on the challenges however I can let you know the following things:

1) Both classes have access to echo360 recorded lectures and the material in both streams, so if one lecture is very hard to follow in French you will have the option to listen in English. Also, when we write exams they give us all the questions and answers in both languages

2) you have to look at your stats and evaluate whether or not you will be competitive or not in English vs French. Depending on where your GPA stands it makes a big difference in terms of outcome.

3) They evaluate ECs as part of your sketch (you receive a score) so the more the merrier, but do not neglect more important criteria such as GPA. Also, try to focus your activities on CANMEDs as well as activities you have a keen interest and passion for, it will show at the invterview

Hope that helps

Mr Duck

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Neji3 said:

Does anyone know whether we are tested in English in the French stream? Are there a few questions in English ?

Our exams are in both languages.  So in our exam question booklets, one side of the book is in English, and one side is in French.  The questions and answers are all the same, so you can do the exam in whatever language you choose. :)

10 minutes ago, HappyAndHopeful said:

Our exams are in both languages.  So in our exam question booklets, one side of the book is in English, and one side is in French.  The questions and answers are all the same, so you can do the exam in whatever language you choose. :)

Thank you! Do you happen to know if we are tested in our English communication skills during the interview? Just wondering since I'm a little rusty in speaking.

32 minutes ago, Neji3 said:

Thank you! Do you happen to know if we are tested in our English communication skills during the interview? Just wondering since I'm a little rusty in speaking.

If you put that you're bilingual on your application, they will ask you a question in English to test your communication skills, just to make sure that you are in fact bilingual.

4 minutes ago, hey 123 said:

Hey, I Interviewed this morning  and this is my third french interview for Ottawa u , was anyone else thrown off by their style this year aka more scenarios? 

I was thrown off but it was for quite a different reason than what you describe.

1 hour ago, hey 123 said:

Hey, I Interviewed this morning  and this is my third french interview for Ottawa u , was anyone else thrown off by their style this year aka more scenarios? 

I was thrown off by the first question because I was really not expecting it. I was surprised that I only got very limited opportunity to talk about myself/my passions and studies.

this is the first time i apply to uottawa, and i found their interview to be strange. i had just one question out of my sketch, the rest was ethical scenarios. also the english question was really long and complicated i didn't feel it was just to test my English aptitude. one of the questions they gave me was soooo strange i never heard of these type of questions before online or else

I haven't heard of anyone applying to the French stream and not being able to form an actual sentence, but I have heard of the opposite .. last year someone in the English stream put that they were bilingual on their application, were questioned and they couldn't answer in an actual coherent sentence. The person was talking (with a friend after the interview while on the tour) about how it was unfair that they questioned them ..... ?? lol

56 minutes ago, Donald_Duck said:

Now with the Casper its suprising they can score well on the written but not be able to talk the language. Im sure it dosent happen that often as it used to before they implemented the Capser.

Mr Duck

So it did happen before? I would have liked to see those interviews! ;) 

Archived