Premed 101 Forums

Post Interview Blues

I'm sorry you feel uncertain about your performance but keep your hopes up until the end! You might've had a few weak answers but don't disregard your strong points either. 

Do you feel like the questions asked didn't probe you for interesting answers? Or was it your nerves that didn't allow you to consider questions more thoroughly before answering?

57 minutes ago, Premedhopeful123 said:

How’d it go everyone?

I left feeling a bit dissapointed about a few questions. Didn’t get to explore as many perspectives, voice trembled, and I might’ve jumped the gun on a few opinions. My Panel was even quite friendly. Can’t help feel like I blew this opportunity :( 

First of all, congratulations on being done! I will say that what you’re feeling is a pretty common feeling after the interview. I know some people have felt like their interview went awful, and they ended up being accepted, so your feelings after the interview don’t necessarily correlate with how you did. Try not to be too hard on yourself. :) As for now, everything is out of your hands, so try to relax and keep yourself busy until decision day! Best of luck. 

There’s definitely some questions where all preparation goes out the window... but I think they purposefully throw a curveball to see how you react. Don’t be too hard on yourself as many applicants feel the same way post-interview.

My Panel was quite heavy on “ethical” scenarios. Would’ve liked a few more personal questions myself. But hopefully it was enough to make a personal connection with them. Some questions felt better than others but it’s all speculation. Best of luck!

34 minutes ago, Eudaimonia said:

I'm sorry you feel uncertain about your performance but keep your hopes up until the end! You might've had a few weak answers but don't disregard your strong points either. 

Do you feel like the questions asked didn't probe you for interesting answers? Or was it your nerves that didn't allow you to consider questions more thoroughly before answering?

It was a bit of both. I was definitely nervous as this was my first ever interview and I rushed in to answer a few questions. I honestly feel like I did so poorly on a few questions that it overshadows the rest of my interview. Thank you for your advice though, I’ll try and stay hopeful til the very end! 

Hi OP,

Wanted to let you know you are definitely not alone in feeling like you didn't do nearly as well as you could... I definitely feel that way as well. However, the 4th year medical students were very reassuring! Several of them shared that they had felt that their interviews went terribly, but look where they are now! :)  

So don't lose hope! We will find out in May. 

2 hours ago, markup said:

Hi OP,

Wanted to let you know you are definitely not alone in feeling like you didn't do nearly as well as you could... I definitely feel that way as well. However, the 4th year medical students were very reassuring! Several of them shared that they had felt that their interviews went terribly, but look where they are now! :)  

So don't lose hope! We will find out in May. 

Absolutely true. I talked to a first year ottawa med student (english stream) and she said after the interview she was crying while driving back home thinking she bombed it. She got accepted first round. 

Use these examples to let yourself move on. There is nothing you can do. I know how hard it is, I keep trying to not think about my answers but it is what it is. The reality is that every single one of us could have given better answers. There is room for what you “coulda” said for every single one of us, but we didn’t. And that’s the best we did. Do anything you can to take your mind off and May 8th will be here sooner than you thought. I’m just gonna work a little more to make more money, snowboard, party, get drunk, travel.

FF

On 2/23/2018 at 10:06 PM, Premedhopeful123 said:

How’d it go everyone?

I left feeling a bit dissapointed about a few questions. Didn’t get to explore as many perspectives, voice trembled, and I might’ve jumped the gun on a few opinions. My Panel was even quite friendly. Can’t help feel like I blew this opportunity :( 

It is so hard for people to figure out personally how well they did on the interview - people  think they did well, sucked at it, vary between the two... yet that extremely often doesn't correlate at all with how well they really did. You can beat yourself up a lot as a result. 

I spent an hour once with some one post interview who was extremely upset with their interview performance - basically imploded and swore they failed completely. It was a long hour (ha, felt like a one hour long  MMI station with some one breaking down in front of you).  It was getting to the point where we were worried the other applicants could be distracted by this person imploding in the interview area. They actually did well and got in immediately on acceptance day, and did quite well post. People just don't know how well they did.   

Archived