Premed 101 Forums

Does prestigious undergrad matter?

Hi I just wrote the DAT today and heard about this forum from someone in line. My current situation is that I go to a prestigious undergrad in the US and have been living in the US for the last 4 years even though I was born and raised in Canada. So I'm just curious if Canadian dental schools consider if the applicants went to a prestigious undergrad or not? And if my GPA is 3.85 and DAT score last year was 21AA, would I be competitive to apply? Thanks!

Is 3.85 OMSAS GPA? Additionally, did you drop your worst year (assuming you are in your 4th year and your worst year is not your most recent) for UofT? 3.85 GPA for UofT would not be sufficient (note that the average interviewee GPA was 3.93 this year). Also, it does not matter where you go for undergrad for Canadian dental schools.

35 minutes ago, Steins;Gate said:

Is 3.85 OMSAS GPA? Additionally, did you drop your worst year (assuming you are in your 4th year and your worst year is not your most recent) for UofT? 3.85 GPA for UofT would not be sufficient (note that the average interviewee GPA was 3.93 this year). Also, it does not matter where you go for undergrad for Canadian dental schools.

That doesn't include my worst year dropped. It'll probably be around 3.88 then. And that sucks, I was hoping they do after looking up the ridiculous GPA stats for UofT and Ualberta :(

2 minutes ago, Starburst said:

That doesn't include my worst year dropped. It'll probably be around 3.88 then. And that sucks, I was hoping they do after looking up the stats for UofT and Ualberta :(

3.88 is possible. 3.85 is quite tough. I would recommend a rewrite of the DAT for a higher AA and hope for the best!

Archived