Premed 101 Forums

Understanding how the MCAT is evaluated

TheLeo

I know this is a stupid question but I am going to ask it anyway, because I am confused by what I have read online.

The new MCAT has 53 CARS questions. Say I wanted to score 129+. Roughly how many questions would I need to answer correctly? Can someone clearly explain to me how each section is evaluated?

Thank-you

Since each exam is standardized and is different from other test days or other versions of the same day - no one can tell you exactly how much you will have to get right on the specific exam you will get. If you get a CARS section with 5 philosophy passages, which are hard for most people, you will most likely need less questions right than if you had an "easier" exam. 

However to answer your question some hard working premeds on   R e d d i t   got together and worked out how many correct answers you need on the official AAMC exams per section, those are the best indicators we have thus far, seems like you need 46-47 correct to hit 129.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v6KWM4qhiyvFnqstXMKIc97I4Vr3sHxucQXRzgUPpYo/edit#gid=455106447

Good luck.

36 minutes ago, hartk48 said:

Since each exam is standardized and is different from other test days or other versions of the same day - no one can tell you exactly how much you will have to get right on the specific exam you will get. If you get a CARS section with 5 philosophy passages, which are hard for most people, you will most likely need less questions right than if you had an "easier" exam. 

However to answer your question some hard working premeds on   R e d d i t   got together and worked out how many correct answers you need on the official AAMC exams per section, those are the best indicators we have thus far, seems like you need 46-47 correct to hit 129.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v6KWM4qhiyvFnqstXMKIc97I4Vr3sHxucQXRzgUPpYo/edit#gid=455106447

Good luck.

Thanks, this did help. 

Archived