Premed 101 Forums

Unmatched notifications before match day

liammo29

15 minutes ago, Dermviser said:

When do program directors know who has matched to their program?

Same time as you do :) 

No point in giving it out earlier for one. The entire point of the delay is to allow them to check and check and check.... the results to make sure they are accurate. If they are ready for the programs that means they are right, and that means they are also ready for you. 

4 hours ago, liammo29 said:

I've heard from a few people that some schools notify their students early if they went unmatched (day before). Has anyone ever heard of this? Would be nice to know this and get out ahead of it. Thanks!

Yeah that is old - not possible any more. The US does that in a fashion but actually it is for a purpose. 

I would say from how our school worked you wouldn't really want to know early. For one thing a lot of the support system is based on everyone finding out at the same time. Plus you cannot really act on the information until you also know what is left in the second round. So you just get to sit there and stew for an extra day. 

7 minutes ago, PrairieQueen said:

U of A is doing it this year. Unmatched candidates contacted the day before to begin planning for second round. 

I have to say if true - wow - that is a big change. CARMS must have changed something big for that to happen! 

You will have to let us know how that works out to the benefit of the people involved. 

15 minutes ago, PrairieQueen said:

We were told lots of schools do this, but this is the last time it could be done because the contract is changing next year? 

I mean I know of no other school that does it so I am finding it a bit odd :) Either way I guess we will find out tomorrow(?) 

A few schools have done this in the past and are doing it this year. But yes, it's the last year it's happening because apparently CFMS petitioned against it, so schools will know next year at the same time as the individuals.

It's apparently to allow students time to process, make their way back from regional rotations, set up meetings with guidance counselors, etc. 

16 hours ago, dassy said:

A few schools have done this in the past and are doing it this year. But yes, it's the last year it's happening because apparently CFMS petitioned against it, so schools will know next year at the same time as the individuals.

It's apparently to allow students time to process, make their way back from regional rotations, set up meetings with guidance counselors, etc. 

Hmmm good to know - I was just at a meeting where they said that never happened so ha it was confusing me. 

Archived