Premed 101 Forums

Publications as an Undergrad

The cutoff is lowered only for graduate students (but your GPA is above both cutoffs anyways). If you're an undergrad, the cutoff remains the same regardless of a first author pub (but your article is a great EC!). GPA is assessed separately from research activities, essentially. 

13 hours ago, Eudaimonia said:

The cutoff is lowered only for graduate students (but your GPA is above both cutoffs anyways). If you're an undergrad, the cutoff remains the same regardless of a first author pub (but your article is a great EC!). GPA is assessed separately from research activities, essentially. 

Thank you! They say ~3.8 is the undergrad cut-off, but I have yet to see someone matriculate with a GPA in this range as an undergrad or receive an interview, which questions the value of the ECs? Or maybe it's because those with a really high GPA are more likely to have better ECs than those with lower GPAs. 

Probably not. I think UofT values GPA heavily and you'd be surprised at the number of students applying there with a 1st author publication AND a high GPA. 

I have 3 pubs (2nd, 2nd, and 3rd author) and 3 conference abstracts at major conferences (1st, 2nd, 3nd author) with a wGPA of 3.85 and many long-term extracurriculars and this is my last year of undergrad. I still haven't received news from UofT so I'm guessing its a reject. Extremely extremely disappointing. 

They say they use a holistic approach but their "holistic" approach probably revolves around you having everything perfect rather than being subpar in one category yet exceptional in the others. 

2 minutes ago, silent_c said:

Probably not. I think UofT values GPA heavily and you'd be surprised at the number of students applying there with a 1st author publication AND a high GPA. 

I have 3 pubs (2nd, 2nd, and 3rd author) and 3 conference abstracts at major conferences (1st, 2nd, 3nd author) with a wGPA of 3.85 and many long-term extracurriculars and this is my last year of undergrad. I still haven't received news from UofT so I'm guessing its a reject. Extremely extremely disappointing. 

They say they use a holistic approach but their "holistic" approach probably revolves around you having everything perfect rather than being subpar in one category yet exceptional in the others. 

Hmm interesting. Good point. But I don't think you can actually determine that you're rejected solely based on timing of an interview invite. They are still going through files. Yours may have not been looked at yet, so from that alone, you can't really determine whether your pubs have helped you or not. 

What do you think you're subpar in? Lol.

1 minute ago, scoobydoo0216 said:

Hmm interesting. Good point. But I don't think you can actually determine that you're rejected solely based on timing of an interview invite. They are still going through files. Yours may have not been looked at yet, so from that alone, you can't really determine whether your pubs have helped you or not. 

What do you think you're subpar in? Lol.

I dont know... it just seems like they're reviewing grad students now and OOP. Also majority of the students get their regrets in March it seems and thats probably why you haven't heard that many regrets so far. 

My GPA is subpar compared to a majority of the applicants matriculated (average of undergrads is around 3.94-3.96 I believe). I had many people (including a couple doctors) review my personal essays and made them extremely personal so I don't think that would be it either.

This experience has literally been such a let down, 0 interviews so far lol

23 minutes ago, silent_c said:

I dont know... it just seems like they're reviewing grad students now and OOP. Also majority of the students get their regrets in March it seems and thats probably why you haven't heard that many regrets so far. 

My GPA is subpar compared to a majority of the applicants matriculated (average of undergrads is around 3.94-3.96 I believe). I had many people (including a couple doctors) review my personal essays and made them extremely personal so I don't think that would be it either.

This experience has literally been such a let down, 0 interviews so far lol

Don't be too hard on yourself. I also got rejected everywhere except u of t so far. Still waiting there. 

Who would have thought a guy with a 3.975 gpa, good mcat, volunteer experience and a publication would get no interviews... but it happens I guess.

1 hour ago, Slickrick said:

Don't be too hard on yourself. I also got rejected everywhere except u of t so far. Still waiting there. 

Who would have thought a guy with a 3.975 gpa, good mcat, volunteer experience and a publication would get no interviews... but it happens I guess.

Its hard not to be! All this hard work and not reaping the rewards is brutal for my self-efficacy lmao

Archived