Premed 101 Forums

Doctor has sexual relations with patient

Butterfly_

Just read this article today: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/02/28/witness-says-toronto-doctor-exposed-himself-in-the-front-seat-of-his-car.html

So many ethical lines crossed in one case: doing drugs, offering doctors note to help healthy students skip exams, having sex with patient....

I wonder what kind of case the doctor’s lawyers have for that.

Just flabbergasted.

not the first time this doctor has been accused of sexual misconduct. If you google his name, not too long ago he was accused along with another doc who at the time was a plastic surgery resident. Both were acquitted, his friend actually recently got re-instated by the college in order to continue his plastics residency 

26 minutes ago, putter said:

not the first time this doctor has been accused of sexual misconduct. If you google his name, not too long ago he was accused along with another doc who at the time was a plastic surgery resident. Both were acquitted, his friend actually recently got re-instated by the college in order to continue his plastics residency 

The same doc was accused of different cases of sexual assault in 2010-2011, 2014, and this is the third accusation ( according to the article I read).

On 3/1/2018 at 1:09 PM, End Poverty said:

The same doc was accused of different cases of sexual assault in 2010-2011, 2014, and this is the third accusation ( according to the article I read).

After reading the comments below, I do realize my comment previous comment jumped a little too quickly to conclusions. I apologize for that.
However, many sexual assault cases are failed by the legal system.
I just hope if someone is guilty, then they get the punishment they deserve.  Many times, guilty people walk away free.

Though certainly three accusations increase the chances this physician is guilty, last time I checked, the law stipulates that you are innocent to proven guilty. Lets wait for the decision before burning this physician at the stake. 

I, as should we all, take accusations of sexual misconduct between a physician and patient very seriously (and any accusation of sexual misconduct/abuse for that matter). However, for you future physicians, you should be terrified by the what appears to be a shift in public mentality from 'you are innocent until proven guilty' to 'you are guilty until proven innocent'. Individuals are loosing their jobs (I'm speaking generally here) and receiving public shaming before the allegations are even proven to be true. There are some individuals out there who would have no problem taking advantage of this fact. It is for this very reason, as a male physician, I NEVER examine a female patient without a female nurse in the room. We should take every allegation seriously, women (and men) who have been sexually abused should feel safe to come forward and the men (and women) found guilty should be punished to the full extent of the law. But an allegation does not warrant punishment - the allegation must be proven to be true. 

This physician made a number of mistakes that don't have to be proven in court as BoopityBoop has mentioned. The lessons - don't do that. Whether he will be convicted of sexual misconduct (violation of the physician/patient relationship) will be up to the court. 

As an aside - what is up with all this d$ck showing off that seems rampant in society - d$ck pics, whipping it out for the ladies (men) to see, etc. Guys keep your d$cks in your pants.

PMD

On 03/03/2018 at 3:21 PM, PilotMD said:

Though certainly three accusations increase the chances this physician is guilty, last time I checked, the law stipulates that you are innocent to proven guilty. Lets wait for the decision before burning this physician at the stake. 

I, as should we all, take accusations of sexual misconduct between a physician and patient very seriously (and any accusation of sexual misconduct/abuse for that matter). However, for you future physicians, you should be terrified by the what appears to be a shift in public mentality from 'you are innocent until proven guilty' to 'you are guilty until proven innocent'. Individuals are loosing their jobs (I'm speaking generally here) and receiving public shaming before the allegations are even proven to be true. There are some individuals out there who would have no problem taking advantage of this fact. It is for this very reason, as a male physician, I NEVER examine a female patient without a female nurse in the room. We should take every allegation seriously, women (and men) who have been sexually abused should feel safe to come forward and the men (and women) found guilty should be punished to the full extent of the law. But an allegation does not warrant punishment - the allegation must be proven to be true. 

This physician made a number of mistakes that don't have to be proven in court as BoopityBoop has mentioned. The lessons - don't do that. Whether he will be convicted of sexual misconduct (violation of the physician/patient relationship) will be up to the court. 

As an aside - what is up with all this d$ck showing off that seems rampant in society - d$ck pics, whipping it out for the ladies (men) to see, etc. Guys keep your d$cks in your pants.

PMD

I agree. 

I'm flabbergasted on a regular basis with the lack of understanding the general public has with respect to our legal system. Or how quick most people are to want to throw it out the window. 

Former Supreme Court Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin had waded into the national debate on sexual-assault trials, telling complainants that while they have a right to be treated fairly and with dignity, they also need to be realistic in their expectations of a justice system that needs to protect against wrongful convictions. The integrity of the system demands that they be taken seriously and that their interests be reconciled with the rights of the accused:

"Complainants and witnesses need to understand what is required of them in a trial and what they can realistically expect from it. No one has the right to a particular verdict but only to a fair trial on the evidence. Because of the Draconian consequences, the criminal law has long demanded high standards for conviction for a crime. If convicted a person may be in prison for a very long time and lose that most precious thing without which everything else is worthless: his or her liberty. The potential for wrongful conviction always waits in the wings. So the law for centuries has rightly insisted on credible evidence, a vigorous defence right of cross-examination and proof beyond a reasonable doubt. There is an obvious tension between the rights that are essential to a fair criminal trial and the expectations that may sometimes arise on the part of complainants. And the criminal law must navigate this tension."

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/3/2018 at 1:51 PM, PilotMD said:

Yeah, is this a recent phenomenon? Like, a trend brought on by all the celebrity dick pic leaks in the past few years? Or have men always been doing this??

Do you have any idea how awkward it is to work with a preceptor again, after he's even just talked to you about his penis? Like, if I really wanted to know about it or see it, I'd ask. Really. I promise.

Archived