Premed 101 Forums

Canadian studying in Canada vs Chinese studying in US

In terms of Prestige, U of T is quite well regarded. So no difference there. Prestige matters less when it comes to med school admissions, anyways. In terms of Nationality, both Canadian and Chinese are considered international and will face tougher cycle. However, there are several schools that, as frog above mentioned, will take only Canadians (ie. NYU) rather than any internationals. Some schools (ie. UVA, VCU, Einstein, Yale) consider Canadian practically an out-of-state American. So Canadian will have a higher chance of getting into a US med school.

If you take a look at MSAR, each school outlines nationality from where their international students come from. You'll notice that a lot of these 'internationals' are Canadians. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2018 at 0:22 AM, 命运的羽毛 said:

A Canadian citizen born in Canada, went to UofT for undergrad

Vs.

A mainland Chinese citizen born in China, went to a top 30 US university for undergrad

Similar grades, similar EC, similar MCAT, similar in everything,  which one has a higher chance to get into a US med school?

What I typically find is that the most talked about and sensationalized aspects of applying for competitive positions are the factors that one cannot change (i.e. where you are from, where you went for undergrad, what your citizenship is). This is because people love to judge people in ways that they know will not change over time. However, the reality is much different. I find the factors that make an impact on admissions are those that can be changed (test scores, interview preparedness, ECs, GPA).

Yes, I am calling OP out for being a shit disturber, excuse the language. There really is no need for this thread as in reality, both would make it into medical school given a strong app.  

Archived