Premed 101 Forums

Course overload rules

Hello,

I can't find any information about this on the Dalhousie website, and I've also tried searching the forums here to no avail.

How does the school treat years where you took an extra course? So a full year consists of 10 credits normally (5 half-semester courses each semester), but I took an extra course in the winter for one of my years, and so I have 11 courses during that year. 

Western looks at the top 10 courses from each year. Does Dalhousie look at all of the courses, or do they also look at the top 10 courses only?

Also, just a silly question that seems to give me contradicting answers from thread to thread: Should I round my GPA to the nearest tenth after I add both of my senior years and average them, or round twice for top 2 years after I calculate each individual year prior to averaging them?

Thanks

1 hour ago, ysera said:

Hello,

I can't find any information about this on the Dalhousie website, and I've also tried searching the forums here to no avail.

How does the school treat years where you took an extra course? So a full year consists of 10 credits normally (5 half-semester courses each semester), but I took an extra course in the winter for one of my years, and so I have 11 courses during that year. 

Western looks at the top 10 courses from each year. Does Dalhousie look at all of the courses, or do they also look at the top 10 courses only?

Also, just a silly question that seems to give me contradicting answers from thread to thread: Should I round my GPA to the nearest tenth after I add both of my senior years and average them, or round twice for top 2 years after I calculate each individual year prior to averaging them?

Thanks

They won’t look at it differently, they will simply just calculate your GPA depending on where you’re at in your degree. For example, if you’re applying during your degree they will take your GPA from 2nd and 3rd year combined. If finished your degree, they will take your best 3 of 4 years and calculate it.

Having extra courses will only be a good thing if the extra course is a good mark to help compensate for a bad mark in another course. It can also be a bad thing if taking an extra course made your GPA go down.

Archived