Premed 101 Forums

Countdown to decisions [doomsday]

MD.VA

For those of us who applied through the university stream, only 3 weeks left until offers are sent out...... Can't help but be excited! Hopefully we get them towards the beginning of the week of 26th (or early like last year!). 

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, fungi.funguy said:

Were applicants told early last year? What was the target date (week) and what was the actual decision date? 

It was supposed to be the week after Easter. They were told the Thursday before Easter. Their interviews were done much later than ours so the decisions were scheduled for April.

54 minutes ago, MD.VA said:

It was supposed to be the week after Easter. They were told the Thursday before Easter. Their interviews were done much later than ours so the decisions were scheduled for April.

Last year because of the CACMS site visit in February 2017, they had to move the interviews to March. Decisions came out mid-April. 

I think it made sense for decisions to come out a little earlier last year, because they had Med-P interviews in that week so they probably didn't want to have too much on their plates at once. I don't think it will be out early this year, since Med-P interview decisions are released the Friday before, so they'll probably be busy with that. That being said, the ambassadors at my interview day said to expect them on the 26th, or 27th at the latest.

Also, did anyone get invited to interview along the Med-P's this year? Just wondering if waitlist ranks will be released immediately, or we'll have to wait till May.

4 minutes ago, MedP111 said:

Also, did anyone get invited to interview along the Med-P's this year? Just wondering if waitlist ranks will be released immediately, or we'll have to wait till May.

The waitlist ranks were immediately released to the concerned candidates last year, along with the initial invitations and refusals. 

2 minutes ago, SunAndMoon said:

No, WL ranks were released approx a month after the decisions came out

Oh, you're absolutely right. I was confusing the rank on the waiting list that was disclosed to the individual candidates (aka, where you personally stand in the WL, if you are waitlisted) and the WL rank presented on McGill website. 

59 minutes ago, allomoncoco said:

Anyone know why it says a different date for MD PHD students (March 19)? Why would they find out any sooner?

I always thought it's because they need to find a PI which takes longer... but in the case of McGill, I'm  not sure what difference one week will make.

19 minutes ago, MD.VA said:

I always thought it's because they need to find a PI which takes longer... but in the case of McGill, I'm  not sure what difference one week will make.

Might be because some Canadian medical schools are sending out their MD/PhD acceptances earlier, so McGill wants to give them their decisions at an earlier date to ensure they recruit them. - Just a hunch. 

8 minutes ago, dreamteam22 said:

Might be because some Canadian medical schools are sending out their MD/PhD acceptances earlier, so McGill wants to give them their decisions at an earlier date to ensure they recruit them. - Just a hunch. 

Good point!

3 minutes ago, MedP111 said:

MD PHD folks are counted among the 79 available seats right? So does that mean they technically already have all the final rankings on March 19 :o

Not necessarily. For example, if they interviewed 10 MD PHD candidates, they will send offers to the best 2 on March 19, regardless of their ranks compared to other MDCM interviwees. I might be wrong, but this is how I imagine it works.

3 more (looong) weeks to go! I'm glad that the wait isn't as long as some other places, but still 4-5 weeks from interview to final decisions seems like a lifetime.

I am hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. However, it's difficult to put plans on hold :( Trying hard NOT to re-play interview day in my head over and over again, analyzing everything (that I can remember) I said at that time - whether it was good enough for an acceptance or not. If not, how I could improve my approach to the interview in the future...

Any strategies that people found useful in previous years (or even this year) to keep themselves busy as D day draws closer?

Out of sheer curiosity, would you (aka the interviewed applicants) be checking Minerva frantically a few days prior to March 26 OR wait until you receive a notification via email?

All the best to the applicants!

11 minutes ago, Readyforthis2018 said:

Out of sheer curiosity, would you (aka the interviewed applicants) be checking Minerva frantically a few days prior to March 26 OR wait until you receive a notification via email?

Are you really a pre-med if you haven't been spamming F5 on Minerva ever since like 5 minutes after your interview? <_<

3 minutes ago, MedP111 said:

Are you really a pre-med if you haven't been spamming F5 on Minerva ever since like 5 minutes after your interview? <_<

Fair point! Funnily enough, I was checking it constantly after my interview. As the decision day is getting closer, I am getting more nervous about checking Minerva. Thinking it might be for the best to just wait for the email to appear in my inbox :S 

17 minutes ago, Readyforthis2018 said:

Any strategies that people found useful in previous years (or even this year) to keep themselves busy as D day draws closer?

I usually sleep as much as I can, so that my conscious waking hours are limited to a minimum, entering a dreamlike state of mind fast forwarding my anxiety into the future. 

3 minutes ago, SMT said:

I usually sleep as much as I can, so that my conscious waking hours are limited to a minimum, entering a dreamlike state of mind fast forwarding my anxiety into the future. 

Might have to try that strategy the weekend before the 26th!

Also, just wondering where it is said that there are 79 seats for QC students? I can't seem to find it on McGill's website, but I have seen it mentioned several times on the forums. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Readyforthis2018 said:

Also, just wondering where it is said that there are 79 seats for QC students? I can't seem to find it on McGill's website, but I have seen it mentioned several times on the forums. Thanks!

In this thread, where someone was kind enough to upload some info sheets he/she obtained at an info session this year:

For IP, there are 79 anticipated seats. Not sure if this accounts for the seats that get removed due to deferrals from last year, though.

3 minutes ago, Readyforthis2018 said:

Actually, it's for QC university students.
https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/categories/roq/md-roq-u

21 minutes ago, MedP111 said:

I won't be touching Minerva until I get word from here that results are out...... but I'm constantly refreshing the forums so it's basically the same thing.

40 minutes ago, Readyforthis2018 said:

I'm submitting my thesis very soon, so I'm basically spending most of my time working on it, it keeps my mind busy! even if I spend too much time on this forum X)  So if you are a student and have school stuff to do, I would recommend you work on it. Otherwise maybe go out with friends.... time seems to go faster in good company ;)

Archived