Premed 101 Forums

Countdown to decisions [doomsday]

MD.VA

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been following the thread the whole week and it brought me so many memories from a few years ago. I just checked here to see if answers had been made available today or not. Geez, I'm almost as frustrated as you are. :lol:

Anyways, good luck Monday, folks. Hope your dreams come true.

For those who won't get in, If you applying because Medicine is where your heart is, do not give up on your dreams. 

For those waitlisted, good luck. I hope the list will run down and you'll get your admission offer too.

Have a nice weekend you all.

Any suggestions on how to distract myself till Monday? I wish i could just sleep the whole time and wake up and see that the results are there... My biggest fear is that the results come out during the whole week and not all on Monday... Any thoughts?

19 minutes ago, atreesfouad said:

You remember that episode from south park where Cartman couldn't wait till the new Nintendo was released so he froze his body because he couldn't handle this anymore? that is the only thing we can do :-D

Perfect idea! Where can i do that?:D

1 hour ago, YASMED said:

Any suggestions on how to distract myself till Monday? I wish i could just sleep the whole time and wake up and see that the results are there... My biggest fear is that the results come out during the whole week and not all on Monday... Any thoughts?

Go for a walk, finish a book, write about your pre-admission anxiety, watch Narcos if you haven't yet, have a beer, hug your loved ones and get off this forum for the time being (48hr). Those would be my suggestions.

I have read this thread in the last days.
One word comes to my mind : relax.

Some people will get their biopsy results on Monday.
They will know if they have cancer or not.
Some will get an answer to a refugee application.
They will know if they can escape the war.
Some will be in court.
They will know if they are going to jail for a few years.
So in my case, Monday will be a normal day.

I think that too much anticipation can be dangerous. 
Too much refreshing, calculation, anxiety.
That only feeds a potential future extreme disappointment. 
I try not to mix my hopes with the reality.
The results are most probably a vast amount of rejections.
That's the reality.
I am not immune to that.
But that deception is nothing compared to 'real life' struggles.

Of course, I wish you all the best.

7 minutes ago, HoopDreams said:

Some will be in court.

That's the reality.
I am not immune to that.

k

1 hour ago, YASMED said:

I have some Seroquel 25mg for before and after in case of a refusal. #jk . No but seriously, the thing that helped distracting me was going out with friends and family (doing sports, going to the movies or just chilling). It really helped.

1 hour ago, YASMED said:

Copius amounts of hard liquor.

13 minutes ago, HoopDreams said:

Some will be in court.

That's the reality.
I am not immune to that.

I had the same opinion looking at people freaking out for something that will no longer matter in a few days. But I've come to realise that it is the most important thing to them at this right moment, nothing matters more and we all want to be accepted so badly. We live in a society that nourishes this type of anxiety, because you have no idea what the hell they are evaluating you for. Our personal opinion about our performance doesn't predict directly the outcome of the results. That's why a lot of people here are trying to calculate possibilities and outcomes in order to subconsciously ease that anxiety. Even though I am against this torture, I understand why some of us refresh Minerva every 2 seconds. 

First time posting on this thread, but I have been following it since it was created. People often tell me to not go on premed101, but I have strangely found comfort in reading the posts here because it showed me how many of us are on the same ship and feeling the same things. So I thought I'd share some of my recent experiences. 

As the 'doomsday' gets closer, I wake up in the morning thinking back to each MMI station and what I could have done better. I find myself running through 4 scenarios: (i) ACCEPTED!, (ii) Good waitlist, (iii) Bad waitlist, and (iv) Rejected - each of which change the course of what I will do in the next few months to years. I have been pretty good at trying to distract myself by going to the gym or watching shows. But as some of you mentioned earlier, this doesn't distract me completely from calculating the odds; I think I might have learned more stats in this last month than in my 2nd year course. That said, its important to also keep in mind the factor of luck involved here. During my interview day, I met some amazing people all of whom had super stellar stats and ECs, not to mention, incredible personalities! As I left the interview building, I couldn't help but wish that we end up as classmates next year. My guess is that there will probably be very minute differences separating candidates from one another.

So, hang in there fellow pre-meds, we are almost there - I wish everyone a good luck and hope that Monday brings great news!!

16 minutes ago, LUUO said:

Anyone going to wait until they receive an email to check Minerva? Or are you going to be like me and refresh every 5 minutes come Monday?

All day Monday: 

*click* *click* *click* *click* *click*

28 minutes ago, LUUO said:

Anyone going to wait until they receive an email to check Minerva? Or are you going to be like me and refresh every 5 minutes come Monday?

Minerva is the way to go! Results get updated there before emails go out so everyone keep your eyes peeled and F5 keystrokes ready! 

Just a side note, the email comes in much later than the actual Minerva change. I had my acceptance at ~9:30am but my email only came in at 10:00pm. So I would suggest to check during the day, unless you have the self control of a Monk

31 minutes ago, MD.VA said:

All day Monday: 

*click* *click* *click* *click* *click*

Please don't crash the system! 

15 minutes ago, t0ny said:

Just a side note, the email comes in much later than the actual Minerva change. I had my acceptance at ~9:30am but my email only came in at 10:00pm. So I would suggest to check during the day, unless you have the self control of a Monk

Cheers! I was going to start refreshing around 6 am myself, but I may have the self-control of a Monk..until 930am.

1 minute ago, LUUO said:

Please don't crash the system! 

Cheers! I was going to start refreshing around 6 am myself, but I may have the self-control of a Monk..until 930am.

LOL I'd start refreshing during their work hours. I'm going to see if I can restrict myself to refreshish once an hour... unlikely.

Just now, MD.VA said:

LOL I'd start refreshing during their work hours. I'm going to see if I can restrict myself to refreshish once an hour... unlikely.

Let's be reasonable..every 15 minutes? I noticed your location is Toronto, are you an OOP? We're suppose to hear back the same time as IP..right? Please tell me im right :P

1 minute ago, LUUO said:

Let's be reasonable..every 15 minutes? I noticed your location is Toronto, are you an OOP? We're suppose to hear back the same time as IP..right? Please tell me im right :P

Yes everyone hears the same day! 

Archived