Premed 101 Forums

Caught between two provinces...

Hi everyone,

I've been an Ontario resident my entire life until this past year when I had to move provinces for work. I signed a 12-month contract last August.

I recently called OSAP and asked whether I could apply for loans since I will be starting medical school this fall.They told me that I will no longer qualify for OSAP loans because I will have been out of the province for ~12 months. I'd have to apply through the province I'm currently living in unless I manage to leave my job in June, which clearly isn't possible or fair to my employer.

I just called the loan services of my current province and they're confused about why I'm contacting them. I'm not yet a confirmed resident of that province (it has been less than 12 months since my move) and they think I should be going through OSAP.

I know I can get a LOC from a Canadian bank but I also wanted to have access to provincial/federal loans and grants.

Who should I appeal to?

Thank you! 

1 hour ago, hartk48 said:

commenting because I have the same exact dilemma. 

Edit: we need help.... 

I feel da pain :(

1 hour ago, la marzocco said:

I would definitely write an appeal letter to OSAP to see they can grant you an exemption. I think your situation is very unique and you shouldn't be caught in no-man's land just because you had to move for a job.

Yeah, my current province is going to write me a letter of refusal which I will then submit to OSAP. OSAP would reconsider my case if I was formally refused by the current province. It wouldn't make sense to be denied funding since I've lived in ON for 23 years and received funding from them before for previous degrees. 

I'm sure getting back OHIP coverage will also be a hassle >:(

31 minutes ago, Doctorofmydreams said:

I feel da pain :(

Yeah, my current province is going to write me a letter of refusal which I will then submit to OSAP. OSAP would reconsider my case if I was formally refused by the current province. It wouldn't make sense to be denied funding since I've lived in ON for 23 years and received funding from them before for previous degrees. 

Ha education and healthcare - you nailed the two big ones intra vires of provincial jurisdiction. Hope everything gets sorted out :) 

On 3/6/2018 at 1:33 PM, Doctorofmydreams said:

Actually that'll be relatively easy, once you're in the province for 3 months you should be good. And for the first 3 months your current province's health card should work just fine for health care in Ontario.

8 minutes ago, jfdes said:

Actually that'll be relatively easy, once you're in the province for 3 months you should be good. And for the first 3 months your current province's health card should work just fine for health care in Ontario.

I'm on an extended absence from Ontario so technically still under the OHIP. The challenge will be if I move from my current province (won't become resident because will have lived here for under a year) to Nova Scotia...

Archived