Premed 101 Forums

CFPC exam scoring

Can anyone shed any more light, or even speculate, on the inner workings of the SOO scoring beyond what is vaguely discussed in the official documentation?  Based on my understanding, your SAMP and SOO marks are totalled separately and both must be passed for an overall pass. They also mention that your score is averaged across all 5 SOO stations in some way.

Within the SOO structure, we get 55 separate scores (5 stations and 11 score-able categories per station).  I initially wondered if you simply had to average out to "certficant" ranking or above, but this seems unlikely given that they state that each exam sitting is normalized based on the case difficulty.  That leaves me wondering if the NC/C/SC spectrum is numeralized in some way and then compared against a standardized curve of reference test takers.  The other possibility is that you are simply compared to the "average first time test taker"; there is a comment that the process ensures you do not perform significantly differently than your peers.  Whether this would involve a committee looking over every candidate's performance, or ensuring that a candidate does not get too many NC flags on the same scoring categories would be debatable.

SAMPs and SOOs are scored separately, yes. Both need to be passed in order to get your CCFP certification. 

As far as I know, applicants who fail get a score for each station and are given a percentile score. Your overall score is given a Z-score and it needs to meet a certain threshold to get a passing mark. Beyond that I don't really know how a passing score for each station is determined.

I probably wouldn't worry about how the exam itself is marked. It's just unnecessary stress.

• 4 years later...