Premed 101 Forums

Are residents classified as students at their university?

I have a normal student card but it depends on the discount.  We don't get postsecondary student TTC passes (though apparently some people have managed to get them, I was told no) and we don't get access to student health services and that stuff.  But we do get to use the library.

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎09 at 7:13 PM, NLengr said:

I had a normal student card. 

Nothing like getting student discounts at the age of 35. 

Agree. It is great, especially for stuff like student rush tickets for events.

I have no shame to use it until age 40, at which point I'll hopefully cease to be a "student". :lol:

Oops, forgot to add that being considered a "student" for tax purposes depends on the school and sometimes province.

With the textbook tax credits gone, it isn't as lucrative as it used to be for tax filing purposes, still being a student is helpful for deferring payment of some student loans (AB student loan stays in non-payment status, Canada student loans go into repayment after med school).

On 3/9/2018 at 9:46 PM, ellorie said:

I have a normal student card but it depends on the discount.  We don't get postsecondary student TTC passes (though apparently some people have managed to get them, I was told no) and we don't get access to student health services and that stuff.  But we do get to use the library.

Hey ellorie, we do get postsecondary student TTC passes. Just bring the proof of enrollment from PGME and drop off at Sherbourne metro station. although I rarely use TTC monthly passes unless for off-site rotations. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived