Premed 101 Forums

7 minutes ago, BoopityBoop said:

What I think you are referring to are "prosections".

Prosections are preserved body parts of a cadaver that have been dissected with care for the purposes of anatomy education. 

Yes Mac has a lot of prosections! And PT and MD students have access badges allowing them to use the anatomy lab.

Thank you, but I was referring to dissections as well. I have some experience dissecting human donors and have found it very helpful, so I was wondering which schools utilize this teaching method. I know U of T does this. 

10 minutes ago, Josh420 said:

Thank you, but I was referring to dissections as well. I have some experience dissecting human donors and have found it very helpful, so I was wondering which schools utilize this teaching method. I know U of T does this. 

Mac has an extracurricular Interprofessional Educational (IPE) cadaver-dissection course you can sign up for. It's quite cool - it allows you to do a complete full-body dissection (skin to bone) with other first year students in nursing, in OT, in PA, in midwifery, and in MD.

People from each program are chosen based on a lottery. 

5 minutes ago, BoopityBoop said:

Mac has an extracurricular Interprofessional Educational (IPE) cadaver-dissection course you can sign up for. It's quite cool - it allows you to do a complete full-body dissection (skin to bone) with other first year students in nursing, in OT, in PA, in midwifery, and in MD.

People from each program is chosen based on a lottery. 

That sounds incredible, thanks! 

I know you asked about Ontario schools, but for anyone else reading who is interested about Dalhousie - PT (and OT) do dissection based anatomy. PT and OTs do the same anatomy class, and you work in groups of 5-6 (mixed PT/OT groups) per cadaver throughout the semester. There are also prosections available for studying too. Always interesting to hear how other schools teach it! I think the IPE way Mac does it sounds interesting. I had some classmates who absolutely couldn't stomach the dissection aspect and just studied off of prosections! 

UofT PT has a 6 month long dissection lab where you and 3 other students are assigned and dissect a human donor. There are also hundreds of prosected specimens to view and are made available. This a mandatory part of the anatomy course and ends in 2 separate bell ringer exams. I found this extremely helpful in my physio practice and feel very privileged to have been able to work with donors. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-03-22 at 4:20 PM, HopefulPT95 said:

Can confirm Western PT has the exact same set up as UofT for cadaveric dissections and that I also thought it was an extremely helpful way to learn anatomy

Current Western student; can confirm we have a six-month dissection in groups of 5-6 people, with three bellringers.